PDA

View Full Version : Your "Game Face"

rackmup
07-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Do you have one? Or do you just "play?"

I have a "mode" I get into for tournaments and league. It isn't "pleasant." It isn't "cordial." I wouldn't even describe it as "friendly."

I'm told I wear a "menacing face" when I play. No smile. No emotion. This is something I do unconsciously.

I do...er...seem...er...a little "confident" for lack of a politer term. I talk to the ball. I sometimes describe the upcoming shot aloud but to myself e.g., "It may not look like this will go in but...yeah...looks can be deceiving", as the ball falls and whitey rolls into position for the next shot.

I make motions with my cue. I walk with an air of confidence around the table. I wiggle my bridge hand fingers before I settle in to shoot.

Sometimes, just for fun, I like to juice whitey three rails for position.

The greatest compliment ever paid to me by another player was when OPC told me "After you got kicked off the team, we lost our intimidation factor." If one can find something positive in getting kicked off a team because you "run your mouth", well...I guess I'll graciously accept his comment.

How about you? You know you do it but are just embarrassed to admit it.

C'mon...we're all friends here. It'll go no farther than this forum.

Regards,

Ken ("...to you, that shot might have looked hard.")

nAz
07-29-2003, 10:58 AM
lol good post.

I have no idea what kind of game face i have, not sure if i want to know either. but i do Wag my tongue and lick my lips when im on a run. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BillPorter
07-29-2003, 11:02 AM
'Bout the best I can do is try to turn away if I feel tears coming into my eyes...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cycopath
07-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Game face:

http://cyco.xsintrk.net/pics/bbeer.jpg

tateuts
07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Cyco,

Great face. That's what I look like when I dog the nine.

Chris

Qtec
07-29-2003, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"After you got kicked off the team, we lost our intimidation factor." <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...but the quality of play greatly increased . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Couldnt resist .

Q

nAz
07-29-2003, 11:16 AM
cyco thank you i have been looking for that image for so long now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UWPoolGod
07-29-2003, 11:30 AM
When I am playing seriously it is pretty much a dead stare with almost an angry eyed pissed look. Just a really intense look zooming in on the contact point. Head tilted a little down looking toward the eyebrows, using the brow kind of like a hat blocking out sights from above.

Kato
07-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm a fairly animated player. My league/tournament face is like stone. No emotion, no nothing for the most part. When I play for the fun of it I like to talk to whitey alot, make him understand what I'm trying to do.

Kato~~~still breathing today thankfully /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Aboo
07-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I play the same all the time, very serious. I joke between shots, but when I or my opponent is shooting I'm closed lipped and watching /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Folks at my pool hall give me grief for taking it so serious. I take it almost personally when I lose. Especially to someone I feel I shouldn't lose to. I make no excuses for myself, I just get angry that I failed to prepare like I should.
I whisper to my cue, which freaks people out sometimes...

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm always serious and I don't say a word and I'm expressionless. Maybe a pout or a smile when I screw up. There's only 1 person that I used to play with that used to distract me in a BCL sort of way...

SPetty
07-29-2003, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> ~~~still breathing today thankfully<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ...in a BCL sort of way...<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
07-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Long story, let's just say I'm on the SH!T LIST with no end in sight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
He knows who he is and what it means... http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1050848555.gif

Rod
07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
http://www.eteamz.com/cougarbasketball/images/Game_Face.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif HTH

Barbara
07-29-2003, 08:07 PM
I used to have a game face. It occasionally scared the snot out of my competitors. Just plain old expressionless is what it was and completely focused on the table - no acknowlegement to my opponent when not necessary.

I had to lose it when I became a tour coordinator. I found that the regional tour players were intimidated by me (Why?? I'm just tall and I swear I have NEVER thrown a punch in my life) and I had to learn how to smile occasionally.

Now all I do at the table during a match is talk to myself, laugh at myself, stare at the ceiling a lot, and lose.

It's a real riot when CarolNYC and I have to play each other. We entertain the onlookers with our talking-to-ourselves thing!

Barbara

Irish
07-29-2003, 08:10 PM
One year I was playing in the BCA Canadians and we played this team from Toronto. After we won we were all shaking hands and one guy said as he was shaking my hand "good match psycho". I took it ok and he kindly explained that I had such a super intense look on my face in that match that I was scary as hell. My team mates then said I was always like that when the match actually mattered and the pressure was on. I am not sure if I have it anymore, I think it is not quite as serious as before as I am more calm under pressure now. Thinking about it though when I was playing for something large like a trip or some important championship my mood was much like my looks must have been back in those days. I took it personally that the person I was playing wanted to take "my" trip or "my" trophy and was on that table strictly to keep that person from stealing what was mine.

Barbara
07-29-2003, 08:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> When I play for the fun of it I like to talk to whitey alot, make him understand what I'm trying to do.

Kato~~~still breathing today thankfully /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You know Kato, if they had ears they'd roll funny.

HTH

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bolo
07-29-2003, 09:15 PM
No, I just stay quiet and don't talk to anyone. It is amazing how you play better if you just keep your mind on the game. You don't really need anything special, just pay attention to what you are doing and your game will go up from one minute to the next. You can't force good play you can however allow yourself to play good. You shark yourself with all that other stuff.

hustlefinger
07-30-2003, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> ....I like to talk to whitey alot, make him understand what I'm trying to do.

<hr /></blockquote>

Interesting. Iíve always referred to whitey in a feminine sense. Canít imagine a male CB treating me so badly when things donít go right. But when things go right I canít imagine a male cue ball treating me so good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As for a game face, the only one I like to see is Ben Franklinís.

Rick

Kato
07-30-2003, 06:22 AM
You're right Barbie but I'm pretty sure that it has ears anyway 'cause it never goes where I ask it to. It's always going over here or over there. I think whitey has a friend on the bottom of the table cause it keeps falling in the pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 06:56 AM
Rackmup, you now have a treasure in Texas that we here in Indiana had for a great number of years. The treasure being Bobby Knight. If you can find a copy of one of his many interviews, he talks about a "game face". I have to agree with him, what is a game face? You either play or you don't. Plain and simple.

Ralph S.&gt;has many faces and none are pretty /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bluewolf
07-30-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> No, I just stay quiet and don't talk to anyone. It is amazing how you play better if you just keep your mind on the game. You don't really need anything special, just pay attention to what you are doing and your game will go up from one minute to the next. You can't force good play you can however allow yourself to play good. You shark yourself with all that other stuff. <hr /></blockquote>

I like this. When I am frindly I do not play as well as when quiet.

Nightstalker
07-30-2003, 08:03 AM
I have been told that I look like I am sizing up my prey. I also talk to myself and the cue ball when playing for fun, during a more serious match I am stoic.