PDA

View Full Version : Predator 'Z' Shaft?

MarkUrsel
07-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Predator looks to be announcing a new product called the 'Z' shaft. The 314 will still be available, but the Z will be available as an option on their current line of cues.

The Z shaft uses a 'euro' taper and a shorter, narrower ferrule, but otherwise looks to be a slightly reworked 314.

Here's a link: Predator Z (http://www.predatorcues.com/pure_z/)

I have no idea what a 'euro' taper is, but they claim a bit less deflection than the 314.

Any thoughts?

cycopath
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
I assume they are talking about a constant taper like a house cue, as opposed to the straight taper like most cue makers use.

tateuts
07-29-2003, 05:04 PM
The "European" taper is a constant taper and will produce a very stiff shaft. These shafts are undoubtedly quite a bit stiffer than a 314 and will appeal to the players who like a stiff "wedge" shaped taper.

Chris

5balljoe
07-29-2003, 11:59 PM
I had a Schuler cue Euro shaft with basically this type of taper.. I found it to be rather uncomfortable for the fingers and really didn't like it.. looking at the web site, I find it surprising that a shaft this stiff would "give" and flex off the cue ball.. if this does happen, it would seem to me to be more due the shape and type of tip vs the shaft per se..

07-30-2003, 09:50 AM

Cueless Joey
07-30-2003, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> The "European" taper is a constant taper and will produce a very stiff shaft. These shafts are undoubtedly quite a bit stiffer than a 314 and will appeal to the players who like a stiff "wedge" shaped taper.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

My wife's Predator shafts are very flexible/pliable. Isn't this feature combined with the hollowness of the shaft near the ferrule supposed to be what causes less deflection? If what you say is true about the new Z shaft possibly being very stiff, then I think that this would be inconsistent with the way the current Predator shafts are made.

Still confused about how the Predator works: WW <hr /></blockquote>
314 works by having lighweigh ferrule and hollowed end.
By being so light at the end, the shaft itself deflects off the cueball before the cueball deflects.

WaltVA
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
I see the specs on the "Z" call for a 11.75mm tip and a 1/2" ferrule vs. a 12.75mm tip and a 3/4" ferrule on the 314 shaft. They may be using the further lightening of the end mass to offset the added stiffness of the "Euro" taper.

Walt in VA