PDA

View Full Version : Staying in the positive. . . .

heater451
07-29-2003, 04:49 PM
During games, whether I am shooting well overall or not, I like to be positive about my chances. For instance, if/when I miss, I will try to find some assurance on the table that I'm still in the game, like my opponents blocked, or that I have a highly defensible layout, or that I may have a ball locked up--but so does the opponent.

I can use the same thinking in the 'early' game, such as with a crappy break that leaves a cluster around the 8. I sometimes look for a ball that will yield an easy break out, but I will more often look at the pack to see what's likely to be in a shootable position whenever the cluster spreads. Or, I will look to see if the opponent will have an easy break shot somewhere along--the %'s are good that they will miss the shot, looking for the break, or get the break, but have the CB die in the pack, and have no shot out (of course, the %'s change w/ the player's ability).

Not only does keeping a positive lookout on the outcome help my attitude towards winning the game, I think it also helps me see defensive strategies over a single defensive tactic for the game. Like when I'm six balls down, and I have to play "keep away" for five more shots--instead of chancing a gift-shot on a failed run-out, I will play banks and two-ways and full safeties, until I'm more assured that I'm truly out.

What do you do, to "stack the odds", and/or "stay in the game"?

(It's like in bowling, when "they" always tell you to watch the ball, even though you can't affect it anymore--I guess that teaches patience and understanding.)

=============================

UWPoolGod
07-29-2003, 05:10 PM
For me it is not only about staying positive but continuing to play confident and smart. Realizing that a particular table layout will, if you pull it off, pretty much guarantee you a win. Blocking an opponents ball/pocket...so they have to waste a shot or set up trying to get around it. Knowing that if you get that shot you are going to run the table.

Bassn7
07-29-2003, 06:22 PM
A) Problem racks: "Now here is an opportunity for me to be a hero. Thanks for the bad leave. I'm about to pull a shot out of my ass that will give you nightmares."
B) Loss of a game: "I've got an entire match to play. This game has no consequence on the skills I'm about to use on you."

No one learns from winning and no one becomes a hero on a simple stop shot.

Sid_Vicious
07-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Being positive by ranking the layout in the negative aspects for them, I'd say is the extended basics of reading the rack. If I fail to pocket a ball on the break, I will concentrate on that last ball rolling to see if it just screwed the other guy on it's last rotation...that's how very quickly I detail a rack in my head. This time it's expected for you to be glad that the trouble was given to the opponent,,,they would you! You can and should intentionally tie up the table some when you happen to be in a totally impossible position, a second chance for you to MAKE strategy for the future.

In general I feel that keeping a really positive attitude for lengthy periods, depends on your youthfulness, or how well you keep your overall physical-being tuned, at the very least, properly rested with quality sleep. Positive is difficult for me to keep if I don't feel "alive", and better sleep would be a good thing for many of us....sid~~~jm2c