PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw BCTV

bolo
07-29-2003, 10:12 PM
I had a chance to see BCTV tonight at a sports bar I was at. I get the sunshine network at home, but have not had a chance to see any of the matches yet this was the first time. For me it was pretty basic Accustats stuff but the crowed in the bar was less then enthused about what they watched. The major complaint was the commentary, without exception they did not like it. In fact they were talking back to the TV saying "Can't someone shut those guys up". Another comment was you can not hear the balls, it is as if you are watching them play in a sound proof booth. I thought that was a good point, I like to feel like I am there and you don't get that feeling. I am used to the commentary from Accustats tapes, but if you listen with an objective ear, I can see how the casual player would want to turn it off. That is not to say I know what would be better, but if you take this group of about 25 as a focus group, except for getting to see a little pool, it had no entertainment value at all. It has to appeal to more then the hard-core player, it comes off as amateurish. I wish them well but it has to be much, much better then this to capture any real public interest. I know nothing can be done at this point, this is from last year. But I hope they are looking to improve what they are doing, if it is to be any kind of success.

BCn
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
bolo,

Thanks for your comments, all valid points about the program. Other than the commentary and ball sounds, what specifically do you find to be of "no entertainment value at all"?

We have a long list of issues we're addressing that will enhance future programming, but maybe you and the others here can share your perspectives.

If it were your perfect pool program, what would it look like?

When you answer, please keep these points in mind, budget and time are your biggest obstacles. Even if budget weren’t an issue, you still only have 48 minutes of programming in a one-hour time slot.

Please tell us what you want to see!

Cueless Joey
07-30-2003, 11:52 AM
BCN please have more table microphones this time.
Have two announcers but not two COLOR analysts.
I can't stand two announcers arguing over a shot.
Have one play by play announcer and one color analyst.
Just like in basketball and baseball.
Billy's a great color guy.

Steve Lipsky
07-30-2003, 12:12 PM
I disagree about the two play-by-play guys. Only through an "argument" do you get to hear their analysis behind a certain shot selection.

Also, pool is a lot closer to chess than baseball. Since the best pool players aren't going to miss much, their mistakes are often in their decisions. Two play-by-play guys in baseball gets silly, as they are usually reporting on the outcome, which cannot be denied (the ball either dropped in left center or it didn't).

In pool (and chess), they are reporting on what they believe will come next (how the player will get position). Why wouldn't you want to hear multiple opinions on this, especially since generally the only disagreements arise on fairly complex patterns?

- Steve

jjinfla
07-30-2003, 01:30 PM
I like the banter between the announcers. Especially when they are undecided on how the shot should be played and then the player does something unexpected. It just shows how many different shots are available. And we get to see how the pros think when they are playing.

Also, you might explain how you arrive at the accu-stat number. I just recently read the explanation somewhere and now I can't find the book I saw it in. Thought it was in one of Byrne's books. Jake

Deeman
07-30-2003, 01:41 PM
I enjoyed the US Open Programs and hope to see more each week. I compare the set with the Cardif matches and you can see a similarity. I think the commentary is good for advanced players but the less knowledgable players might like a more ESPN like smoothness with less content.

Overall, This is a very good value for the money. I hope it drives competition between the networkd for more pool on TV. I'll remember who started us on our way with regualr, trustworthy schedules we can depend on.

Keep it up.

Dee Sands

bolo
07-30-2003, 01:48 PM
You are only seeing it from a players point of view. Half the time they are discussing stuff that is not even on the screen. How is the non player to even know what they are talking about. It is inside type of stuff and not interesting or understood by the average viewer. It is in fact distracting from the game It is as if they are doing a show and oh by the way there happens to be a pool game going on. They are not the show, the players and the game is the show. I will make a post later when I have time regarding the commentary but in my opinion it is beyond bad, it needs to be scraped in it's present form all together. Maybe done as a carefully scripted voice over and not live. You have to be objective and see it from the view of the casual viewer. My experience last night was that not one of those people would watch again, they wanted to turn it off. It has to appeal to the casual player not just the hard core player and insiders, or it has no reason to be on.

Geoff
07-30-2003, 02:59 PM
OK, I must really be missing something here....but, where can I see these programs you guys are talking about? The only pool I ever get to see is on ESPN

BCn
07-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Billiard Club television (http://www.billiardclub.net) is available through: <ul type="square"> Empire Sports Network (http://www.empiresports.com)(Dish Network Ch. 432 and DirecTV Ch.626)
Sunshine Network (http://www.sunshinenetwork.com)(Dish Network Ch. 422 and DirecTV Ch.632)
FOX Sports Digital Networks (http://www.foxsports.com)(Atlantic, Central and Pacific) [/list]
We are featuring the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship from last year.

The 2003 U.S. Open will be available on pay-per-view again, more details later.

Check the complete schedule at www.billiardclub.net (http://www.billiardclub.net)

RedHell
07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Are these available on Bell ExpressVu. I remember seeing a Bell logo on your web page, but it doesn't seem to be here. Do you have any coverage available in Canada ?

BCn
07-31-2003, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are these available on Bell ExpressVu. I remember seeing a Bell logo on your web page, but it doesn't seem to be here. Do you have any coverage available in Canada ?
<hr /></blockquote>

Our 13-week US Open 9-Ball series will be in Canada. Stay tuned for an announcement

RedHell
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks,

Staying tuned !

pooljunkie73
07-31-2003, 03:44 PM
BCn,
Please let us know.We Canadian's can't take much more of this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
My Canadian cousins call Bell, Puke TV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooljunkie73
07-31-2003, 04:50 PM
lmao....i know,i know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got no other choice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif