PDA

View Full Version : Airline's policy on traveling with a cue

Bak2Cue
07-29-2003, 10:22 PM
It's been a long time since I've flown with a cue - years before Sept 11 - and I am flying to a tourney on Thursday. Will someone give me the scoop on flying with my cue? I will call the airlines, but I'm wondering about personal experiences. I'm afraid if I send it through baggage it won't come out again, if you know what I mean.! Thanks for the help!

kingarthur
07-30-2003, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's been a long time since I've flown with a cue - years before Sept 11 - and I am flying to a tourney on Thursday. Will someone give me the scoop on flying with my cue? I will call the airlines, but I'm wondering about personal experiences. I'm afraid if I send it through baggage it won't come out again, if you know what I mean.! Thanks for the help! <hr /></blockquote>

There was a thread about this awhile back, and I do believe it was posted by rackmup in the non-pool forum. It was posted within the last month. You should search thru there. The subject of his post is "Airlines, Security and Bare Feet...(long)"

I haven't tried to carry a cue on airlines, but my platemail and broad sword certainly doesn't make it thru... so I am usually forced to travel by horseback.

Arthur
King of Camelot

cycopath
07-30-2003, 02:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bak2Cue:</font><hr>I'm afraid if I send it through baggage it won't come out again, if you know what I mean.! <hr /></blockquote>Unfortunately that's the only way it's allowed on board.

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 05:53 AM
Ship it Fedex overnight and have it waiting for you when you get there.

rackmup
07-30-2003, 06:02 AM
You will have to check it through to your destination. And, don't make the mistake of asking the airline. They do not have the final say, the ATA does and I was screened like a tennis-shoe-bomb-wearing-nutso when I protested a few months ago to the ATA that Continental Airlines said I could carry it on board.

Now I have the pleasure of being "high-profile" each time I fly. I might as well get naked in line as they check everything I come to the gate with.

Regards,

Ken (the Fed-Ex idea scares me more than having it in the belly of the plane with me.)

Pizza Bob
07-30-2003, 06:18 AM
The FAA has classified pool cues as potential weapons and they are prohibited from being carried on board. You must check your cue(s) as baggage. Furthermore, you cannot lock your luggage. If you lock your luggage they will cut the lock off, or otherwise destroy the locking mechanism.

Without some kind of special accommodation for your cue, you have already received the best recommendation - ship it FedEx to your destination and have it waiting for you.

I have an aluminum case that accommodated my 1x2 Centennial case. The aluminum case also has a black nylon cover. Still kind of screams "something special in here" but it has been OK so far. Taking receipt, tomorrow, of a "travel" cue &lt;www.caromcues.com&gt;. Three pieces and a roll-up case that will fit in my regular 25" roller suitcase. Much less obvious and only known to whomever is on the xray monitor. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cuechick
07-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Joe Porper makes a grea travel case, though I think it can only be found mail order, you might check out a local sporting goods or luggae store for something that you can fit your whole case in and that you can lock. Or try an art supply store, I think some one found a case made for rolled up art work that worked?
Also check how much your airlines insurance will cover for loss
(some cover a couple of thousand others only a couple of hundred). . You made need to purchase addtional insurance to cover your cue. Also if your really concerned...get there extra early so you can try carring it through. I had no problem once, no one said a thing(better if you don't say anything either). If they do you can go back and check it in...Most ailines are really limited you to two carry ons, so keep that in mind.

RedHell
07-30-2003, 06:55 AM
I just took a flight (last sunday) with my cue. I used a 2X4 cutec case and fold my suite case over it tying the shoulder strap around my suite case handle. This way it is seen as only one luggage and still allow anyone to open and check what it is if they want. This is the 3rd time I'm doing this and never had any problem. Obviously if someone wants to get them, they can so I'm not protected against theft.

holls
07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The
Department of Homeland Security
is warning that Islamic extremists
might be plotting suicide airliner
hijackings to be carried out before
the end of the summer, with
possible targets including sites in
Britain, Italy, Australia or the
eastern United States.

"As of mid-June, Islamic extremists may have
been planning suicide hijackings to be
executed by the end of Summer 2003,"
according to the document obtained Tuesday
by CNN.

"The plan may involve the use of five-man
teams, each of which would attempt to seize
control of a commercial aircraft either shortly
after takeoff or shortly before landing at a
chosen airport."

Just saw this on cnn.com. Although the article goes on, be careful. SInce this has been issued, security is going to be extra tight in all airports. My suggestion is to pack your cue in your suitcase, and not to lock the case. Good luck and safe journey...

Aboo
07-30-2003, 08:14 AM
Airline insurance is great and all, you'll get your cue paid for about 6 months after it's stolen, but you'll still be high and dry for the tourny that weekend as some luggage handler is at his local pub grinning from ear to ear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I would take the Fed-Ex route myself.

Sid_Vicious
07-30-2003, 09:22 AM
There was a mention of airline luggage, I believe posted by Diane, some time back, and the luggage had a handle, wheels, a hasp, and was engineered for airline abuse. That website escapes me, but I do remember the prices weren't that bad,,,around $175 for one that would accomodate my 3x6 case as I remember. Those Ship-a-Cue(PVC pipe gizmos) costs $150 for one supposedly for a 3x6, but I am fairly certain that it would not take my oval porper case format. Besides, the airline case has bells and whistles.

As far as packing my cues in my luggage, I value my equipment enough to at least ship it in an actual, reinforces shipping container, spending bucks to protect my stuff is automatic for me. I'm sure you have probably made the trip ok in the past with cues in the suitcases, but it only takes one time...sid

Qtec
07-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Look out for Americns travelling from Texas with pool cues.!!!

If five guys from al Q tried to take over the plane , I would have thought you would be glad of a couple of Texans [ whatever ] with pool cues !

Do they really think that somebody , maybe a pro , doesnt want to let go of his cue because he and another 4 white guys are going to hijack the plain ?

Q ??

This post should be stopped right now . There are Political and Religous connotations and its not allowed .

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Finally figured out the little animated cave man thing...representative of the neanderthal mind of the poster.

ceebee
07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Get yourself a cardboard box that your case will fit in. Bundle it all up &amp; ship it Fed-Ex or UPS &amp; insure it for $2-$3 grand. Be sure to have it sent to your hotel &amp; adult signature required. You'll be inconvenienced, but you'll have your cue... When the chicken [censored] Politicians in WASH DC &amp; around the world start executing the bastards that have limited our FREEDOM, things might be better.

SPetty
07-30-2003, 11:43 AM
I made a PVC gizmo that cost a lot less than $150! It holds my 2X2 case. If you're handy, you might want to make one for yourself - it's really not too hard. I wrapped it in duct tape so that when the airlines break it, all the pieces stay together! It has worked very well so far.
http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/case.jpg

dardusm
07-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello,

I have traveled with my cues approx 6 times since 9-11. I used a porper travel case that fits over your regular case without any incidents. The case is nondescript and can be locked. But, be forewarned that they have the right to cut the lock to inspect what is inside so don't use an expensive lock. Also, get your cues insured. I believe that most homeowners policies can include coverage for your cues but check with your agent. Another idea is to have a less expensive travel cue that you can take. I would be leary of just taking your cue onboard without asking because of the sensitive nature of traveling on planes in the present. You could be put on a watch list.

Hope this helps,

Darryl

Fran Crimi
07-30-2003, 04:08 PM
I've traveled 50,000 miles with my cues since 9-11. I've spoken with players who have also traveled 50,000 plus miles. The general consensus is that if you put your cues in a specialty case, it will be opened and every piece taken out and inspected. You will have to hope they don't forget, take, or drop something during their inspection because it will not be inspected in front of you. You have a much better chance of finding everything in tact if you pack it in your suitcase.

Fran

cuechick
07-30-2003, 04:46 PM
I use a Hello Kitty lock and it is too cute and innocent to break open ...so far no one has and as you said the porper is nondiscript, I love it . It also rusn about 40.00.

JPB
07-30-2003, 08:45 PM
[quote=Pizza Bob
I have an aluminum case that accommodated my 1x2 Centennial Taking receipt, tomorrow, of a "travel" cue. Three pieces and a roll-up case that will fit in my regular 25" roller suitcase. Much less obvious and only known to whomever is on the xray monitor. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Ooooooh, you're getting another one already? Tell me how this one is, and how it compares to your other one. I saw it on the web and it looked interesting. I don't travel enough to make it worthwhile, but maybe someday.

Qtec
07-31-2003, 05:41 AM
If you dont get arrested carrying that !!??

It looks like a pipe bomb . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
07-31-2003, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I've traveled 50,000 miles with my cues since 9-11. I've spoken with players who have also traveled 50,000 plus miles. The general consensus is that if you put your cues in a specialty case, it will be opened and every piece taken out and inspected. You will have to hope they don't forget, take, or drop something during their inspection because it will not be inspected in front of you. You have a much better chance of finding everything in tact if you pack it in your suitcase.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,

Thanks for the advice. This month will be the first time we have flown with our cues. Dayton OH to Atlanta Hartsfield (they have the best restrooms in the country IMO /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ), change planes, ATL to Vegas. Then Vegas to ATL, change planes, ATL to Myrtle Beach (Redneck Riviera /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). Hope they have good baggage handlers.

I have a long duffle I had not used since 1994. Glad I hung on to it.

Fran Crimi
07-31-2003, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Dayton OH to Atlanta Hartsfield (they have the best restrooms in the country IMO /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ), change planes, ATL to Vegas. Then Vegas to ATL, change planes, ATL to Myrtle Beach (Redneck Riviera /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). Hope they have good baggage handlers.

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally, I hope you're not doing that all in one day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's see...Atlanta's bathrooms...if I can recall, don't the stalls have doors from the floor to ceiling, or have I got the wrong airport?

Have a great trip. Sounds like a good one.

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
07-31-2003, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

Wally, I hope you're not doing that all in one day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">4 days in Vegas, 3 days in SC </font color>

Let's see...Atlanta's bathrooms...if I can recall, don't the stalls have doors from the floor to ceiling, or have I got the wrong airport?

<font color="blue">They're my favorite because you don't have to touch anything /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There's no doors, just a mini-maze, the urinals and toilets flush automatically, the sink comes on aoutomatically and the towels you just grab, you don't have to crank anything. I'm not paranoid, I just know the variety of people that come thru airports /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Have a great trip. Sounds like a good one.

<font color="blue">Yep. Thanks. </font color>

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

It's the APA national team event. There should be some pros there schmoozing too. Do you know any WPBA players who are going perchance?

Rich R.
07-31-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
It's the APA national team event. There should be some pros there schmoozing too. Do you know any WPBA players who are going perchance?<hr /></blockquote>
Wally, at the very least, Allison Fisher should be there. She is now an "official" spokesperson for the APA.

Have a good trip. Unfortunately, my team did not make it, again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif