PDA

View Full Version : Ball in Hand rules, looking for answers

sneakypapi
07-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I have a question regarding ball in hand rules regarding 8 ball only. I am not sure if there is a major difference between APA and BCA rules.

Here is the situation:

Player A has the 8 ball remaining and is frozen to the rail with the 14 ball next to it (Player B's Ball of course).

Player B has given ball in hand for Player A to make his move. I know in APA rules Player A must make contact with the 8 ball then hit a rail after since the 8 ball in frozen and is called frozen.

Player A makes his move hitting directly to the 8 ball and cue goes straight back in slow roll and hits no rail after contact and the 8 stays frozen in position.

Player B calls this a foul like a scratch and says Player A loses the match, with much debate.

My question is this simply, fouling on the 8 ball is that the same as scratching or hitting the 8 ball in the wrong pocket, when calling the 8 ball is needed? Does Player A lose or does Player B just get ball in hand himself?

cycopath
07-30-2003, 02:22 AM
Player A does not lose, but Player B does get ball in hand.

MarkUrsel
07-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Simple rule of thumb in BCA/APA/WPA 8-ball rules: if the 8-ball is still on the table, the game isn't over.

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:25 AM
You can get a rules listing of just about any organization at www.onthesnap.com (http://www.onthesnap.com)

Wally_in_Cincy
07-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Player B gets BIH and also needs to get a slap up side the head. Sounds like Player B is playing by some freakish rules from a bar in the Texas wilderness or from some kid's basement.

WaltVA
07-30-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Simple rule of thumb in BCA/APA/WPA 8-ball rules: if the 8-ball is still on the table, the game isn't over. <hr /></blockquote>

Correct for BCA/WPA rules, but under APA rules a scratch while playing the 8-ball is a loss.

Walt in VA

MarkUrsel
07-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Walt, you're right in the case of a scratch in APA (cue ball goes down) - and I'm wrong in that case.

However, in the case above, the cue ball was still on the table, so it was not a game loss, merely a ball in hand.

WaltVA
07-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Mark, I agree completely about the case in question - BIH to Player B, no loss. Just didn't want to confuse things about applying your correct BCA/WPA rule of thumb (game ain't over with the 8-ball on the table) to APA rules.

Best regards,
Walt in VA

SPetty
07-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Also, one small point to remember - in some rules, the ball is not frozen to the rail unless it is called frozen by the non-shooter, even if it is frozen.