PDA

View Full Version : ? on B.I.H. Foul

nAz
07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
After scratching (9B) the incoming player gets ball in hand and places the CB any where he likes.I believe he is allowed to make adjustments by using the side of his cue stick (ferrule) to move the CB? but can he move the CB with the cue tip it self, the leather part?

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 11:09 AM
The strict interpertation of the rules would say that touching the cue ball with the tip of the cue is a foul. Others will say that you have to be down on your shot before a foul is committed. I wouldn't use the tip to position the ball anytime. Like most everything else in this crazy sport, it depends on whose rules you are playing by.

nAz
07-30-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking BCA rules, but who's ever rules i play with it should be a foul.

Ken
07-30-2003, 11:16 AM
According to the World Rules (and I assume BCA) the tip may be used. Other organizations probably differ.

3.40 CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL

During cue ball in hand placement, the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion of the cue stick contacting the cue ball will be considered a foul if not a legal shot.

KenCT

Fred Agnir
07-30-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> After scratching (9B) the incoming player gets ball in hand and places the CB any where he likes.I believe he is allowed to make adjustments by using the side of his cue stick (ferrule) to move the CB? but can he move the CB with the cue tip it self, the leather part? <hr /></blockquote> It's legal, as long as you're not makeing a forward motion with the stick. For example, if you position the cueball with the shaft/ferrule, but the side of the tip rolls over the ball, this isn't a foul. And, IMO, it shouldn't be.

Now, bunting it around with the front of the tip is a different story, and is a foul according to the "forward motion" part of the rule.

Fred

nAz
07-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Thank you fellas for clearing that up.

rackmup
07-30-2003, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> but can he move the CB with the cue tip it self, the leather part? <hr /></blockquote>

In the:
<ul type="square">
BCA: This would be a foul and ball in hand would be awarded to your opponent.
APA: This would be a foul and ball in hand would be awarded to your opponent AND you would be made fun of by your Team Captain.
VNEA: This would be a foul and ball in hand would be awarded to your opponent AND you would have to openly declare what VNEA means when spoken in other languages.
BCA Jack and Jill Scotch Doubles: This would be a foul and ball in hand would be awarded to your opponent AND your "better half" would slap you silly and make you sleep on the couch.
APA Jack and Jill Scotch Doubles: This would be a foul and ball in hand would be awarded to your opponent AND your better half would relegate you to the couch to sleep with an infected biting spider monkey.
Bubba's Bar and BBQ Pit in Fort Worth,TX.: This would be cause for takin' you out back and teachin' you a thing or two about manners and sleepin' with another fella's infected bitin' spider monkey. [/list]

I hope this covers all of your playing scenarios.

Regards,

Ken

Rod
07-30-2003, 04:35 PM
As the rules read apparently so from the side. I've seen this happen while moving a c/b, it has to come in contact at the end of the ferrule. No one or should I say few would ever call a foul, and they would be wrong to do so.

However putting the leather in direct contact with the c/b, even with just the side of a tip, is just asking for trouble. It is a bad habbit and might cost them a foul one day.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
07-30-2003, 07:36 PM
nAz - any league I've ever played in and tournament, this was always a foul. Cheap shot? Yeah, but those were the rules.