PDA

View Full Version : Practicing using the Bridge.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-03-2002, 10:06 AM
I know a lot of players that don't like to use the bridge.. but it comes up offen enough that most would rather shoot opposite handed rather than use the bridge.
The biggest problem I have is the speed control, when using the bridge.. other than that, I like using the bridge. When I practice using the bridge, I like to make sure its with the shots I know will come up in a game.. You'd be surprized how quickly you can become confortable using this device.
Once you are aware of your bad shots.. then you have the first set of practice shots to shoot.

Doctor_D
04-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Good morning:

I have become proficient in using the mechanical bridge through "practice", "practice", "practice". However, in order to significantly reduce the need for the mechanical bridge, I had a cue maker fabricate a 12" extension which attaches, as needed, to the base of my cue. The extension, because everything else with the bridge and the stroke is the same, greatly helps speed control.

Dr. D.

Cuemage
04-03-2002, 07:54 PM
I shoot well left-handed (offhand), but use the bridge occasionally. I also shoot well with the bridge. There are 2 mistakes I see many people make when shooting with the bridge. 1. Alignment of the stroking arm. 2. No warm up strokes.
I align the lower portion of my arm parallel to the table. My grip is similar to that of holding a knife backwards, pushing out. My warm up strokes go UNDER my chin with my right hand & when I extend my follow-through, my last 3 fingers release. (If this is confusing I will elaborate). Also, warmup strokes are critical b/c this is a harder shot than normal. How many times have u seen someone poke at the ball. Allow this stroke to be as smooth as ur normal stroke.

The Cuemage

04-04-2002, 03:34 AM
I just had a butt extension put on my cue this xmas... not becaues I fear the bridge as I have played alot of snooker in my lifetime so I am fairly used to it but i would just rather shoot without it if the option not too is available

04-12-2002, 12:07 AM
Cuemage...Very accurate description of how to use the bridge! The correct grip is nearly the exact same as someone throwing a dart...with the exception of the forearm being horizontal to the table (as you described)! The biggest mistake most people make in using a mechanical bridge, is trying to do too much. Extreme draw, extreme english, and power strokes are difficult enough using your normal stroke and bridge. They often become mistakes waiting to happen when using the mechanical bridge for these shots. My teacher (from 100 yrs ago) would give me homework to practice after each lesson. If I had an hour of "homework" shots to practice, I was to spend 25% additional time (15 minutes) practicing the SAME shots, using the bridge for every shot! I quickly became VERY comfortable using the bridge, and still am today! LOL

Scott Lee

Cuemage
04-13-2002, 12:08 AM
When taking lessons from Allison, I noticed she also holds the bridge as if holding a dart...my grip is a little different, but very smooth. Allison commented I have very good fundamentals with the bridge.

Scott, if you're ever near Greensboro NC, send a post b/c I love to soak up knowledge about the game. Right now, my biggest challenge is finding table time to work on learned principles...what I would give for a week off, a 9-footer with tight pockets & a video camera...

Tha Cuemage

Kato
04-13-2002, 07:35 AM
I'm only 5'8" and don't have great wingspan. I can't shoot left handed so I've learned to be pretty good with the bridge. People don't like it or are afraid of it. I consider it another tool to get around the table.

Kato

04-13-2002, 10:48 AM
Cuemage...I may be coming your direction on Monday, on my way to Knoxville. If you have the time, and would like to get together, email or call me (773-551-7473).

Scott Lee