PDA

View Full Version : Does this work?

scrappy
07-30-2003, 05:04 PM
I need the opinion of all the pool players out there.
I was in my local pool room and there was this older gentleman teaching a younger kid, late teens, early twenties to play nine ball. He was watching the kid and racking for him, I don't know how long (years)he was teaching the kid cause the kid was running out, alot.
Anways I saw the older man reminding the kid not to make the one ball off of the break.

After their session was done, I asked why he would tell the younger kid to not make the one of the break.
He explained that the only way to string racks together was to take as much luck out of the break as possible. He stated that if you use the cut break, miss the side hole with the one, and also miss the corner (opposite of the side hole)and if you put the cue ball in the center of the table you will land on the one ball more consistently because you know it will be near the corner pocket.

few reasons - The one ball always racked first.(consistent)
- the two ball is randomly placed in the rack.

He said that however if you fail to pocket a ball it's pretty much suicide.

It made alot of sense to me.

Just wondering what everyone thinks, I would like hear Keith Mcready's opinion especially.

Also isn't this the break that Cory Dueul used when he finished 4th in the worlds. (I think Mika did too.)

Cueless Joey
07-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Without using the Sourdough rack, I think this is suicide.

Mike H
07-31-2003, 07:35 AM
If you're making the wing ball consistently, this is the way to go. It comes with no guarantees, because you must be extremely consistent with your stroke on the break to accomplish anything with this break. You have to squat the CB near center table, plus you have to avoid making the 1 in the side. You also need to get your speed control nice and tight so you can have some control over the 1 after it misses the side. I love this break when it's working....I learned it watching Jose Garcia string racks at the US Open a few years ago.