PDA

View Full Version : I hate computers!!!

Karatemom
07-30-2003, 06:52 PM
We had some severe storms the other day and our computer was acting kind of funny for a while. Well, it decided it had had enough and conked out last night. This morning I tried to fix it, but the operating system could not be found, and restoring it did nothing. So, I took the old pain in the butt to a computer store, and got a new tower out of it. However, I don't have everyone's email address. I would appreciate it, if possible, if you could PM me or Chris with your email address for me to put in our contact information. Thanks!!

Heide

Rod
07-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Heide,

Have you heard the term backup? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No, now don't you throw that thing at me. LOL

~~~rod, ducking

Karatemom
07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Actually, most of my files couldn't be saved on a floppy anyway. So I did get smart and got a CD burner to backup my files with now.

Don't worry, I won't throw anything at you...... yet, LOL.

Heide

stickman
07-30-2003, 10:09 PM
I've crashed a few without backup myself. The last one I had, I thought to backup on CDs, but lost all that information to a certain female virus anyway. I haven't thought to backup this one yet. Hmmmm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rich R.
07-31-2003, 04:13 AM
The hard drive on my home PC recently died, with no backup.
When the new drive was installed, the guy at the computer shop was able to retrieve all my files from the old drive.
Of course, this service was not free. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I have already made a backup of my files and, hopefully, I will update it periodically. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cueless Joey
07-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Karetemom, I hope you kept the old hard drive.
The hard drive might not be totally dead and your sensitive data is still there.
You can get those inexpensive USB portable battery-looking memory cards now for cheap and easy back up.
Better yet, do it the right way.
Have two hard drives. One for operating system and one for data.
Of course , a CD burner is fine too.

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
I too hate computers. Whenever anyone I know or have ever met has a problem with their computer guess who they come to? Ugh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pooljunkie73
07-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Here's the stupid computer question of the day.How do you do a backup? I have a cd burner if that helps.

I'm pretty new to computers and never thought of what would happen if it crashed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 05:07 PM
You'll need some backup software. I have used Norton Ghost with good results.

Cueless Joey
07-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Just put all of your important document in My Documents.
Create different folders there for easy access, such as My Pictures, E-mail Addresses, etc.
Then just copy them to a CDRW periodically.

Karatemom
07-31-2003, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Karetemom, I hope you kept the old hard drive.
The hard drive might not be totally dead and your sensitive data is still there.
You can get those inexpensive USB portable battery-looking memory cards now for cheap and easy back up.
Of course , a CD burner is fine too. <hr /></blockquote>No, I didn't keep the old drive. There wasn't anything on there that of a sensitive nature or anything like that. It was complete toast. The 2 places I went to about it both told me after what had happened, they'd be surprised if they found anything on there at all. It couldn't find the operating system, then when I tried to restore, it wouldn't even read the disc. It's time had come I guess, LOL.

I have played around with this one now for the last day and a half and have figured out how to burn cd's and store my files. It's a big change from Windows 98 but I'm getting used to it.

Heide

UWPoolGod
07-31-2003, 05:43 PM
I have also used Norton Ghost with good success. If you want you can buy a new hard drive, attach it to the ribbon inside your computer and then run the Ghost program in DOS mode...but that was three years ago that I did it.

Cueless Joey
07-31-2003, 06:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Karetemom, I hope you kept the old hard drive.
Of course , a CD burner is fine too. <hr /></blockquote>No, I didn't keep the old drive. There wasn't anything on there that of a sensitive nature or anything like that. It was complete toast. The 2 places I went to about it both told me after what had happened, they'd be surprised if they found anything on there at all. It couldn't find the operating system, then when I tried to restore, it wouldn't even read the disc. It's time had come I guess, LOL.

I have played around with this one now for the last day and a half and have figured out how to burn cd's and store my files. It's a big change from Windows 98 but I'm getting used to it.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>
I hope it was truely toasted.
Some hard drives that crash are really connection or jumper related. I fix computers for a living for the school district. I can say that a ton of computer repair shops out there are pretty dishonest. I advice everyone to keep their hard drives though no matter what. But, if you didn't have any sensitive data there ( not counting cookies that can be used to log in on your accounts if you had any online), then you're ok.
Windows XP is more secure than the really no security Windows 98.

Karatemom
08-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Since you got me thinking, I went right back up to the store and got my hard drive back, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the tip.

Heide

Qtec
08-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Are you sure the HD you got back was yours?

Just joking ,Karatemom . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

With a name like Karatemom , I dont think the guy at the store would mess with you . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
08-01-2003, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Are you sure the HD you got back was yours?

Just joking ,Karatemom . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

With a name like Karatemom , I dont think the guy at the store would mess with you . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I think I scared her enough.
I was fixing a teacher's computer yesterday. I found out she was gambling on Golden Palace dot com. Unbelievable.
No wonder kids are getting dumber by the day. Their teachers are gambling during classes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

heater451
08-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Windows "My Documents" is a directory buried in the Windows install, on the (primary) local drive--usually the C:\ drive. In the event that the OS really gets screwed, you probably can't save your stuff. This is a good reason to 'back up' your personal files. --Using the "My Documents" directory is good for ease of finding your stuff, but it can be a problem, for the reason mentioned.

Another thing that can be done, that is somewhat safer (better?) than using the "My Documents" folder, is to partition another area on the hard drive, and put all your stuff there. This is good for two reasons: 1) If the OS dies, you can reformat and reinstall on the one partition, while leaving your files safe in the other. 2) If you are in a hurry, and don't want to, or can't get the OS back, you can plug the drive into another computer, and pull the files from there (Note: this can also usually be done, even if the files are in the "My Docs" dir, but the difference is in the 'digging'.) The caveat here is, if the hard drive fails, physically, then you would still need an extremely expensive recovery by a specialized place.--This brings us back to backing up.

BTW, if you are running XP, and have a CD burner, I believe MicroSoft included a 'built-in' burning app. Just put the fresh disc in the burner, and treat it like a floppy--with one difference. After you move the files over, by copy-n-paste, or click-and-drag, and they finish 'queuing', then you have to tell Windows to start the burn. A command will be available on the right-click dialog, and I think you can find it in the "File" menu as well.

============================

Ralph S.
08-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey Heater, are you by chance available to teach me how to do all this stuff?

Ralph S.&gt;VERY COMPUTER ILLITERATE /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cueless Joey
08-01-2003, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Hey Heater, are you by chance available to teach me how to do all this stuff?

Ralph S.&gt;VERY COMPUTER ILLITERATE /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>]
What he was referring to is when you format the hard drive, make one primary partition and one logical partition.
Install the Windows on the primary partition then use the logical partition for all your files.
In case your hard drive "crashes", take that hard drive and "slave" it to another hard drive and pull files from it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can relate to this. 3 yrs ago, I didn't even know how to use a mouse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
08-01-2003, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I can relate to this. 3 yrs ago, I didn't even know how to use a mouse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Back in the 80's, while in college, I was programming in DOS and in C. I found out the hard way that I just didn't have the head for it and went into Business instead. Administrative personnel were still looking for stenographers at that time! Well, during that time, Windows and the mouse came out. I was scared to death to even go near a computer. My mom knew more than I did! LOL. I finally took the plunge and bought one. Now I'm hooked. Wish I knew more about them, but that'll come with practice, LOL.

As for reformatting hard drives and transferring from one to another, I'm as clueless as Ralph! LOL. I can burn cd's though. I did figure that much out.

Heide

Rod
08-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Heide, burning CD's doesn't require a torch! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

heater451
08-01-2003, 06:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Hey Heater, are you by chance available to teach me how to do all this stuff?

Ralph S.&gt;VERY COMPUTER ILLITERATE /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>Ralph, if you're serious, I will answer any questions that I can--and research or refer anything I don't.

Aside, I have been toying with the idea of putting up a really basic, analogized explanation of PCs (Windows, basically) on my Tripod site. What I'm thinking now, is posting some stuff here, and getting feedback on it.

I'm sure there's also a ton of info already out there, but my idea was spawned from another "tutorial/explanation" that I started for someone on HTML pages, but haven't finished.--And this is for someone who refers to herself as a "Techno-retard".

BTW--CJ is right-on, about the partitioning stuff.
===================

Karatemom
08-01-2003, 09:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Heide, burning CD's doesn't require a torch! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Hey, what do you think I am??? Blonde???? hahahahahaha. Besides, I used a lighter, LOL.

Heide

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2003, 09:46 AM
I have software I bought for my Plextor burner called CDResq. It walks you through the a backup of the entire drive, and in the event you want to restore, you merely insert a 3.5" floppy(created in the backup), boot the system, the CD drive's drivers are loaded, the primary OS files automatically installed, and you are automatically asked for the #1 disk from your previous backup. I've had glitches with my system to the point that I have dumped the HD, re-formatted and then restored from my previous backup, all in about 30 minutes. That's for a small 8gig disk, 30gigs+ would probably multiply your time, but you are set exactly as you were before the last backup. It don't get much more simpler than that. I gotta admit, I was reluctant to dump the disk that first time, but you need to make sure that your backup procedure works, otherwise it might end up like cheap earthquake insurance, worthless when everything really crashes down...sid