PDA

View Full Version : What is the measure of a person?

bluewolf
07-31-2003, 02:30 PM
I know I am on the right forum for this. Having been told by a certain unnamed person that I am a giant nobody,and me responding angrily that I am not defined as a person by my pool expertise, I wonder what you guys think?

Does being a decent human being count?

What counts to you guys? This is the non pool forum. If I do not get flamed and eaten up and spit out by you guys, then that will also prove that person wrong about what they said about ccb.

I happen to think that this is a great place and most people here are pretty nice people. And I further think that people here are pretty nice to me on the most part.

So what do you guys think?

What is the measure of a person?

Laura->just kind of pissy at someone but like ccbers

Kato
07-31-2003, 02:48 PM
Height?

Kato~~~likes nice people too if I can find them?

PS. Laura, you're a nice person. A little over the top sometimes but you're ok by me.

Sid_Vicious
07-31-2003, 03:23 PM
I have a scale of measurement for people who berate or belittle others, and you are on the receiving end of that most of the time, not the giving end. It's ok to be pissy at no-class people, and then again, "Why give them the satisfaction of knowing you respond to them at all?"

People rate(imo) due to their niceness, so you are rather high on my list BW. It is those people who want to make you think that you don't have any right talking about, or asking about a particular subject, like THEY rate higher, and they are your superior...those people rate closely with a rat...sid

Rod
07-31-2003, 03:44 PM
I remember a comic from the 60"s or maybe early 70's. The setting is, a girl invites her new boyfriend over to a party with some of her best friends. Their sitting there when someone passes him a bag and papers to roll a joint. Here is this guy, fumbling with the pot and papers trying to roll one. He barely manages to get a poor roll job together tearing it in the process. There is a caption above her head that says, "OH, he can't roll". LOL You could tell how embarrassed she was to have a B/F in the middle of her in-crowd that could not roll a joint!

Is that what you mean? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course I don't know anything about that stuff /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I thought it might run a parallel with your example.

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Rod you are a bad man. Pot smoking is very bad. I have only done it like 100 times though so what does that mean? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
07-31-2003, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Rod you are a bad man. <hr /></blockquote>

No, not really, I could roll! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
07-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Laura,

In a very short period of time (a little over a year) since you registered as a poster and 2792 posts later, you have taken your fair share of abuse. Some of it "deserved" and some of it malicious.

The biggest problem I see with you is a seeming unwillingness to stand your ground. You have left and returned more times than the swallows to San Juan Capistrano.

You have closed more than one post with the reminder: "But I'm only an sl-3."

And, you have to admit, many of your posts were without any true value or merit.

And boy, do people let you know about it!

Now...you probably wonder sometimes while you are reading these scathing posts, belittling you, verbally assaulting you and basically cutting you off at the knees...WHY?

Because you always respond with something like this:

"Why are you picking on me? Most of you are nice and I'm only an s/l-3 wanting to learn so if you are going to be so mean I'm going to leave and never come back."

And in two days, here you are again, subjecting yourself to the same beatings.

BUT YOU CAN FIX THIS:

Quit letting the thoughts of others get so deep beneath your skin that you boil over.

No one posts more crap than I do. (Look at all the heads nodding to the affirmative.)

No one flames another (if deserved) than I do. (Heads continue to bob up-and-down like a little Taco Bell dog in the rear window of a low-rider.)

And boy, do I hear about it. But the difference is I DO NOT LET IT BOTHER ME.

Spoken words, however harsh, have never drawn even one drop of blood, left even the faintest of scars or caused even the mildest of pain.

Read the crap. Move on. Respond if need be BUT in a manner not that of a victim but of that of a FIGHTER.

Stand up. Defend. But please...no more whining, s/l-3 references or the seeking of others to bolster "your side."

Learn to stand on your own and others will naturally stand with you.

Regards,

Ken (believes in the power of the human spirit.)

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Great points Ken. Posting on a message board can be a very fun thing, but in time you will get some criticism so it helps to have thick skin! Thicken your skin, and the problem will be solved. Ignore trolls, they survive only with one thing - attention. Pay them none, and they are nothing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vapros
07-31-2003, 05:30 PM
BW, we all have different yardsticks, and you can stay real busy just measuring up for those people who are important to you. The others don't really matter, and you can't please 'em all, anyway.

This NPR forum (and the PR too, for that matter) presents endless opportunities to stick one's neck out, to do battle, to jump into a rumble. Unless you can fade the action, better stand clear. Getting involved demands a very thick skin, as one can get wounded. I've seen a lot of your posts and I have no doubt that you are a good person and that you mean well, but also I frequently see that you place yourself in harm's way when there is not much to be gained.

A world of dreck appears in these forums and some of it is malicious and it is often discouraging to try to follow a thread with fifty posts, when forty-four of them are empty. I would like to see more communication done thru private contacts, but I don't think it's going to happen.

What can I tell you? Choose your spots carefully and avoid those posters who offend you. It's okay to abstain. We need more of it. A lot more. I doubt you are going to find a public forum with nothing but kindly people. Might be better to seek out a few kindred spirits who will not send you home with all that merthiolate on your hide. Best of luck - I mean it. Be well, pal.

07-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

dg-in-centralpa
07-31-2003, 06:31 PM
BW - my measure of a human being is how that person treats others as well as how they are treated. How much respect do they command and how much is given. My father and I differ on this. He lives his life so no one can ever say anything bad about him. Me... I look at it this way. I'm not in a popularity contest, either they like me as I am or not at all. I've stuck my foot in my mouth many times and I've eaten crow. But in my job(real estate)and I work for my father no less, I get a certain amount of respect for things I have done and accomplished within my Realtor association. I've paid my dues and I deserve a certain amount of respect.
As for your position, if they like you, great, if not, great because they are not worth having as a friend. At least you know what you are capable of, and readily admit it. Tell them to Go to H%ll. You 've got many friends here to worry about one persons opinion.

DG - who thinks opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 06:54 PM
dg give credit where it is due, Clint Eastwood said that one-liner as Dirty Harry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nightstalker
07-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Oh, and how many Laura's are there on this board? Which one is it? Bluewolf, HowlingWolf? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-31-2003, 06:58 PM
OK - I give credit to Dirty Harry for that one liner but I agree with it one hundred percent.

DG - who hates popularity contests

rackmup
07-31-2003, 07:02 PM
Baliff
"Would everyone in the courtroom please rise! The honorable Judge Rackmup presiding."

The Honorable Judge Rackmup
"Would everyone please be seated. Mr. Jury Foreman, has the jury reached a verdict in the matter of the CCB vs HowlingWolf?"

Jury Foreman
"Yes we have your Honor."

"Please hand your verdict to the Baliff."

(opening the verdict envelope, reading it silently and handing it back to the Baliff, who then returns it to the Jury Foreman)
"In the case of the CCB vs. HowlingWolf, in regard to count 1, what is your verdict?"

Jury Foreman
"Guilty your Honor."

"In the case of the CCB vs. HowlingWolf, in regard to count 2, what is your verdict?"

Jury Foreman
"Guilty your Honor."

"HowlingWolf, in regard to count 1, you have been found guilty of the crime of being a nut. You have also been found guilty of open and notorious foolishness. I hearby sentence you to the maximum penalty of 15 years on the "Betty Crocker Chocolate Cookie Message Forum" where you will spend that fifteen years discussing the attributes of Macadamia nuts in baking recipes with 97 year-old women. Baliff, secure the prisoner and get him out of my sight before I puke. You sir, make me ill."

Regards,

Ken

pooljunkie73
07-31-2003, 08:04 PM
lmfao /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
07-31-2003, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> [ Macadamia nuts in baking recipes <hr /></blockquote>

Hey there Your Honor. I bake with Macadamia nuts /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~sir, Your Honor sir.

Hopster
07-31-2003, 11:53 PM
Laura youre all right. Nothing wrong with you at all.
Now mail me the $20 you said you were going to mail me for posting this.

bolo
08-01-2003, 12:51 AM
If you live your life and don't do it at someone else's expense you are all right. Is the world a better place because you are in it? Is the world a worse place because you are in it? Will it matter that you ever existed at all? The questions are simple if one is honest with themselves. The answers only matter to the one asking them of themselves. One may not like the answers.

rackmup
08-01-2003, 05:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bluewolf:</font><hr> What is the measure of a person? <hr /></blockquote>

The short answer would be:

Once you are no longer of this earth, what kind of positive impact did you have on the lives you touched? After you are gone, how will others remember you? What wonderful events in another persons life will be because of something you said to them or did for them?

If you spend life talking about, belittling, criticizing and tormenting others, that is how you will be remembered.

But, if you improve lives around you by your very being, the size of your heart and your willingness to help, others will be measured against you.

Regards,

Ken (okay...it wasn't that short.)

Wally_in_Cincy
08-01-2003, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>

...What is the measure of a person? <hr /></blockquote>

What are you saying ? Do you think I need to lose some weight?
================================================== =======

As Wally Cleaver would say to the Beaver:

Wally: <font color="blue">Gosh Beav sometimes you're goofy, but you're ok I guess. </font color>

Beaver: <font color="red">Jeepers Wally, that's swell. </font color>

That's it. I'm leaving and never coming back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bluewolf
08-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Ken,

I always like your posts. The truth of the matter is that noone from ccb said this to me. At first it was, 'you are a nobody'. Then I angrily defended myself. Then I got a message in huge pink caps saying I was a 'giant nobody'. At this point, Ray and I were sitting in bed and laughing til tears ran down our faces, because it was sooo ridiculous.

Every body gets flamed from time to time. For the most part, anything said here does not bother me much anymore. Why? It is not malicious. This is a good group of people on this board.

I truly believe that only a nobody(at least in their own pitiful mind) would call anyone else a nobody.

I applaud you that nothing gets to you.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
08-01-2003, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> So what do you guys think?

What is the measure of a person?
<hr /></blockquote>Oh I'm not picky. Something say about 7-8". Oh you mean a person as a whole! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I agree with Kato. You go a little overboard a times, as some of us do as well, but you're alright in my libro. (that's book in Spanish)

Nightstalker
08-02-2003, 08:19 AM
9ballgirl, and you once said I was "dirty"!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> What is the measure of a person?
<hr /></blockquote> If it's not how many chicken wings they can down, or how far they can spit watermelon seeds, then I'd say it's breast size or penis length/girth.

Fred &lt;~~~ forget this beating around the bush crap

08-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Whos' opinion? U have to see where it's comming from. Alot of times,losers will put down others in their peer group to make them selves feel better. Is this person a friend or teammate?

bluewolf
08-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Was a friend not on CCB. I try to be nice but in this case I went ballistic, I guess and was pretty mean back too. I do agree with what you said. Confident people do not have a need to put others down etc.

Laura