PDA

View Full Version : scoring beads

SPetty
07-31-2003, 07:58 PM
I just bought a string of scoring beads, but I can't figure out how they're supposed to be installed. They have a bead in the middle with an eye hook on it, and a bead on each end each with an eye hook, and the string goes through all of it, but isn't knotted at either end and it would be real easy to pull the string out and mess up all the beads.

How are you supposed to keep the string from coming out? How are these beads supposed to be installed? If I don't have room over my table, where would be a good place to put them?

Rod
07-31-2003, 08:09 PM
SPetty,

You can tie the string with each end attached to the chain of your Diamond light, No? How many beads are there? Is this just a set of ten or 100 for 14-1?

Rod

rackmup
07-31-2003, 08:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I just bought a string of scoring beads, but I can't figure out how they're supposed to be installed.<hr /></blockquote>

I guess you just tie them around your neck and head to your nearest singles' bar. I thought you were married?

Regards,

Ken (always trying to help...sort of)

bolo
08-01-2003, 12:38 AM
When you buy them they usually come like that. It is best to put them on a wire that can be installed very tight with a turn buckle.

Scott Lee
08-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Susan...Bolo's idea is the best. They used to sell the scoring beads on a wire, ready to be installed between two walls. Guess they are getting cheap! LOL You should be able to string a wire lengthwise, right between both of your tables (do it from front to back in the room). Install them above your head, so that you can reach them with your cue, but they are not in the way of playing on either table. See you in a couple months!

Scott

jjinfla
08-01-2003, 05:59 AM
At the local bar they have them both strung between the chains holding up the overhead light or from hooks from the ceiling. but use wire instead of string or you will be playing 200 bead pickup when the string breaks. Where did you purchase them and how much were they? Jake

AustinFilAm
08-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Susan,
Instead of installing the beads directly to the wall or above the pool table, here's what I did: With a long 1"x 5" hardwood board, I routered the edges and rounded the corners. Cut and made an L shape on both ends. Sanded, stained and polyurethaned the wood with the same color as my GC IV. Supported the inside angles with brass corner brackets. Mounted it on the wall. Stringed the beads with green clothes wire secured taut with cable ferrules. It actually turned out great and added a nice decor to my gameroom.

Angelo

Fran Crimi
08-01-2003, 11:03 AM
SPetty,

Just one more suggestion to add to the other good ones. Definitely replace the string, but use a smooth steel cable, the thickest grade you can get that will fit through the holes. Wire will put small cuts in your shaft when you push over beads. Some people prefer to use a house cue just for pushing over beads but it gets to be a pain. With smooth cable you won't have to worry about it.

Fran

SPetty
08-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks, all. Sounds like the string is just there to hold the 100 beads in place until I can replace it with a wire.

AustinFilAm's suggestion of clothesline wire is interesting, because isn't clothesline wire vinyl covered? That should protect your cue from damage.

Fran suggested smooth wire - what about copper electrical wire? I've got a little left over wire...

But no one mentioned the eye hooks in the beads at either end and the center bead. I guess they're for decoration?

I've often wondered about using your cue to move the beads - seemed like there was the potential for damage there.

Thanks everyone!

SPetty
08-01-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Where did you purchase them and how much were they?<hr /></blockquote>I bought them at a local Billiards &amp; Barstools store for $14.95. Muellers sells them for $10.95:

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm/sku/38-450.cfm

pooltchr
08-01-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> SPetty,

Just one more suggestion to add to the other good ones. Definitely replace the string, but use a smooth steel cable, the thickest grade you can get that will fit through the holes. Wire will put small cuts in your shaft when you push over beads. Some people prefer to use a house cue just for pushing over beads but it gets to be a pain. With smooth cable you won't have to worry about it.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap. This belongs over on the "Best tips you ever got" string!

Ken
08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
SPetty,
The eye hooks can serve at least two functions. Fastening the center bead with a wire to the ceiling will prevent it from moving much to either side when you push the beads against it.

It will take some of the sag out of the center of the wire and level out the line of beads somewhat. Also, in some rooms that have several tables the beads for each table might all be on one wire. By suspending each set of beads by the end beads and the center bead the whole line can be made more constant in height and each set of beads kept together. Otherwise even with a very tight wire there would be a significant sag in the middle.
KenCT

Fran Crimi
08-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Fran suggested smooth wire - what about copper electrical wire? I've got a little left over wire...

I wouldn't go with copper because of it's softness. You don't want anything that might bend over time.

Home Depot has a big selection of cables on spools with a cutter so you can cut your own. You could bring a couple of the beads with you and try out the different grades. I suggest you get the one that's the smoothest and stiffest. The cables are pretty cheap.

Fran

Rich R.
08-01-2003, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I wouldn't go with copper because of it's softness. You don't want anything that might bend over time. <hr /></blockquote>
I would suggest stainless steel wire. JMHO.

Rod
08-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Now that you mention that Fran, I've seen cable with a plastic coating. I didn't know how many beads, I thought it may be 10 to a side to keep track of a race. I bought 1" wooden beads. The center one I painted red, glued it in place, and at the 5 mark they were black. I use a 3' X 1/8" stiff brass welding rod between the light chains. It worked well for my purpose.

Rod

AndyG
08-01-2003, 01:30 PM
SPetty, There have been several good suggestions for the support line for th beads, here's another. A very heavy test (30-40#) monofilament fishing line wears well and doesn't scratch your cue. We've used it for years in my room to support the foam rubber scoring balls over our tables. They're stretched tightly between the light fixture's supporting chains. They've been in place about 16 years and never broken or needed replacing.
AndyG

curt
08-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I recently made scoring bead &amp; ball racks for the room where I play. What I used was 1/8 (.125) rod (drill rod) and ran a die (5-40) on the ends so the rod, although stiff by itself, could be tightened and drawn straighter. Worked great!

Leviathan
08-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Shops that sell big-game fishing tackle stock a nylon-coated stainless steel cable called Sevalon. The steel strands are dark bronze in color, and the transparent nylon coating is colorless. Sevalon is available in a wide range of weights. If you know a big-game fisherman, he or she probably has the tools and crimping sleeves it would take to assemble your bead system in a few minutes. And big-game fishermen always accept payment in beer.

--DM

SPetty
08-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. If I didn't use your suggestion, it doesn't mean it wasn't a good one!

I took a big hint from AustinFilAm and mounted the beads to a board. That way, I could mount the board to the wall, move it to another wall, mount it to the ceiling, etc.

I found plastic covered multi-strand wire just almost the same size as the hole in the beads. I mounted two shelf brackets sideways on a board, and looped the wire around those. Not quite as tight as I'd wanted, but good enough.

Hard to describe, here's the pic:

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/beads.jpg

Thanks again for all your help! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AustinFilAm
08-29-2003, 03:41 PM
That looks pretty nifty!! Have a great long weekend...

Angelo

Barbara
08-29-2003, 03:45 PM
That looks about right!! Good job!!

I had scoring beads, but the string through them that was holding them up broke down and one night I found them on the floor.

Barbara

Rod
08-29-2003, 04:28 PM
That looks cool but instead of a peice of pine you could have used this, Quilted Big Leaf Maple /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.gilmerwood.com/images/7-17-03W1149close.jpg

Give it that 3D effect!

SPetty
08-29-2003, 08:22 PM
It has been brought to my attention that the picture I posted makes it look like the beads are flat against the board.

The beads aren't flat against the board, but they are easily six inches out from the board. There are functional and decorative sideways shelf brackets at either end, holding the beads out from the board. The beads are very easily accessible without the board getting in the way.

Look at it again knowing that the beads sit proud of the board and see that it's a good thing!

Rod
08-29-2003, 10:17 PM
It's good, beads sit proud! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif At 10 to 4 the person on the right is ahead 20 to 15. Is that a fake score? If not who's winning? LOL

PoolFool
08-30-2003, 12:25 PM
A good wire cable idea: Go to a store that sells a wide variety of fishing gear. They sell small spools of wire leader (salt water fishing) in many different sizes. It is like wire incased in plastic. Smooth and strong.

PoolFool

HiPockets
08-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Better than beads is to use those wiffle golf balls and string them like beads. Paint every fifth ball green and the last ball red. It is a novel idea and easier to see than some of the beads I have seen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RAZOR ROG
03-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I bought some beads at a local craft store, light and dark. Strung em on some 30 lb. monofilament fishing line with every 5th one dark, and a dark one in the center. Put a snap swivel (more fishing stuff) on each end and got the line as tight as I could. Then I hung them in the chains on my table light. That still left just enough bow in the line to keep the score in the middle, and the rest of the beads at the ends. Works real nice.

ROG

woody_968
03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Nice job! I am actually more curious about the dry erase board in the picture. Did you make that or purchase it somewhere?

SPetty
03-10-2004, 02:47 PM
I bought the pool table shaped dry erase board from Muellers awhile back. They recently had it on clearance for about half of what I paid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I just did a quick check on their site and couldn't find it. You might want to check with them, or maybe start a new thread and ask if any other posters have seen it anywhere.

I really like mine, and almost bought a second one for no reason except that it was a lot cheaper!