PDA

View Full Version : Need some question answered- Please help!

Ralph S.
08-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Last night at a local tourney I was getting ready to play as was the rest of the field. I got my cues put together and set in the case off to the side so I could be ready to go right after I finished running the calacutta.

Several guys who were nearby the tourney table started horsing around and yes, you may have geussed it. They spilled a pop and of the halfdozen or so bunches of equipment set up, mine was the only one it hit. The case and cues were drenched.

I was so pissed I stopped right in the middle of biddding for about 5 minutes and rushed to try to undo the damage as best as I could. One of the guys reached out to pull them away and put a chip in the finish on the butt of the Jacoby as he knocked them to the floor.

I was able to get the cues cleaned up reasonably well although the tips on all three were soaked. The case is ruined as it took on 32 oz. of Mt.Dew. My question is will I need to re-tip the cues? The breaker is McDermott with a WB hard tip. The Jacoby has a Talisman medium layered and the standard tip that came on the jump cue.

I plan on contacting Dave Jacoby to see about repairing the chip in the finish. I need answers to the others. Please help as I am really pissed right now especially since the morons that did this didn't even say sorry, let alone offer to help pay for any of the damage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I will be out case shopping today and getting extra supplies that also were ruined. Also, will the linen wraps survive or need to be redone. I think I got them cleaned up decent.

bolo
08-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Why do you need to go out and buy a new case? All my cases have battle scars from being around a lot of years. Clean it up and don't worry about it, it can't protect your cues any more?. That is the trouble with some of those cases like Justis cases. The guys spend the night baby sitting them and worrying about it being touched. I have an old leather case I throw under the table and worry about playing, not my case.

BillPorter
08-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Ralph, I doubt the tips will need to be replaced. Certainly wouldn't worry about the WB tip. As for the layered tips, just give 'um a try and see if you can tell/feel any change in how they hit. I doubt there was any damage done to them. BTW, I like bolo's reply about the case. There's a certain value in having the case acquire "character." A lot of top players have cases with many "battle scars" and signs of having been banged around. Heck, isn't that the function of a case? Hope this helps.... (BTW, I would put out a contract on the life of the person who caused the spill! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

PQQLK9
08-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Wow Ralph ...that is my worst nightmare and while I think that your cues should clean up fairly well, you may have to have your case relined. It seems to me that you are a true gentleman and a very classy person to have handled that situation that well.I also think that people like you (and me) who appreciate fine things and try to take care of them make this world a better place.I bet you are also particular about your house,cars clothes etc. I know that I am and make no bones about it.
As far as the ruffins goes..."If they knew better ...they would probably do better."
Try to cheer up...I know its hard but the Sun will come out Tomorrow.

Ralph S.
08-01-2003, 09:54 AM
I understand what you are saying abot the the case, but it is very sticky from the drink spill. Not, to mention it took on more liquid that the Pacific Ocean. I just dont want any moisture build-up to cause any warpage and I would rather not have a sticky cue every time it is removed from the case.