PDA

View Full Version : sneaky pete question

holls
08-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Just curious to know if anyone out there knows why it's called a sneaky pete?

pooltchr
08-01-2003, 11:59 AM
They are designed to look like a house cue, so if you are in a room trying to hook up a money game, your potential victim wouldn't realise you are playing with your personal cue.

If you find a potential victim that can't recognize the difference, send him my way if he still has any money left when you finish with him!

holls
08-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I know what they are, I'm curious to know how it got to be called sneaky pete. Why not sneaky bill, george cheese etc...?

bolo
08-01-2003, 01:24 PM
The first time I saw the term applied to a cue was a line of cue indorsed by Pete Margo. I think they were made by Palmer. One of the cues was the two piece house style they call ed the Sneaky Pete, I guess from Peat Margo's name. The term Sneaky Pete has been around a long time though before it was used to describe a certain cue. That is my best guess.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-01-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> The first time I saw the term applied to a cue was a line of cue indorsed by Pete Margo. I think they were made by Palmer. One of the cues was the two piece house style they call ed the Sneaky Pete, I guess from Peat Margo's name. The term Sneaky Pete has been around a long time though before it was used to describe a certain cue. That is my best guess. <hr /></blockquote>

I have heard of Sneaky Pete as a nickname for anybody named Pete. There was a famous steel guitar player named "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow back in the 70's. So like you said, it's not new.

PQQLK9
08-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Sneaky Pete: Slang for homemade wine
When I was Kid that was what the expression referred to.I think it was because the alcahol would sneak up on you. How it became applied to cues I don't know.
Maybe because the person using it was being sneaky.