PDA

View Full Version : best guitarist of all-time

Ralph S.
08-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Okay people. There seems to be quite a few rock-n-roll fans on this board. So, the question is, who in your opinion is the best guitarist dead or alive? My pick goes to the incomparable and brilliant Randy Rhoades who founded Quiet Riot and then joined up with Ozzy.

Rich R.
08-02-2003, 08:31 AM
No question, Hendrix. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Eric Clapton, hands down...sid

Fran Crimi
08-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Make that two for Hendrix.

Fran

Barbara
08-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I'd have to go with Clapton, too.

Barbara~~~thinking of "Bad Love" rifts...

Nightstalker
08-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Make it 3 for Jimmy Hendrix. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
08-02-2003, 09:40 AM
All right Ralph, here you go. I love Randy Rhoades, bigtime. However, my vote has to go to Yngwie Malmstein. You bet ya, guitar god extroirdinare. The man, period.

Honorable mention goes to Tony McAlpine, Steve Via shreds, George Lynch of Lynch Mob, and I dig Dave Mustaine of Megadeth as well.

Kato~~~The dude form Armored Saint is awesome too and a few more but I can't think of their names.

PS. Are you sure Randy Rhoads was in Quiet Riot?

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Though I said I wouldnt post again <yeah, right...HAHAHA>, this subject is right up my alley. Hendrix, though only a professional musician for 5 or 6 years changed the way the guitar is listened too. Clapton is the best mainstream guitar player due to his popularity and longevity {Jack Bruce, Cream's bassist and frontman made Clapton famous in my opinion}. All names mentioned will be paled in comparision after JOHN MCGLAUGHLIN'S name is mentioned. He played with all the greats like Joe Pass, Hendrix, Clapton, Larry Coryell...the list goes on. Django Rhienhard {sp} was another fantastic player, talent beyond words.

Last December I played some McGlaughlin for Fran and Carol while they were down for the WPBA Nationals, maybe that day will jog their memory...they both were in awe. Just for fun here is a VOODOO top 20;

1]John McGlaughlin {Mahavishnu Orchestra}
2]Jimi Hendrix
3]Stevie Ray Vaughan
4]Johnny Winter {Texas Boogie/Slide Master}
5]Leslie West {Mountain}
6]Ronnie Montrose {Montrose featuring Sammy Hagar}
7]Paco DeLucia {Flaminco monster}
8]Al DiMeola {Fusion Jazz Great}
9]Duanne Allman
10]Robert Fripp {King Crimson}
11]Jeff Beck {Beck Bogart Appice/Jeff Beck Group featuring Rod Stewart}
12]Steve Howe {YES/GTR}
13]Dickie Betts {Allman Brothers}
14]Eddie Van Halen
15]Steve Morse {Dixie Dregs/Kansas}
16]Derek Trucks {Allman Brothers}
17]Zakk Wylde {OZZY/Black Label Society}
18]Randy Rhoades {OZZY}
19]Yngwie Malmsteen
20]Trey Anastasia {Phish/Oysterhead}

My favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughan...hearing him play Jimi's "Voodoo Chile" <slight return> still gives me chills

Karatemom
08-02-2003, 10:02 AM
three for Hendrix.

Heide ~ loves seeing a guitar being put to good use

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Living in North Miami now...the Swede plays a guitar with scalloped frets {the most difficult way to play a guitar} and its a Fender Startocaster {the most difficult guitar to play} in manys opinion. Needless to say he made his own musical path anything but easy, a spectacular player no doubt.

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Clapton has so much depth and talent, he undoubtedly, in my most humble and honest opinion, stands far above Hendrix. I grew up with Hendrix, and thought he walked on water with a guitar, yet watching Eric Clapton switching gears for all types of music...well Jimi Hendrix would have stumbled much like the devil's candidate did at the end of Crossroads, the movie. The Man is uniquely packed with talent. I can imagine Clapton successfully playing Jimi's stuff, but not the opposite...sid

dg-in-centralpa
08-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Voodoo - I agree with most of your list just not quite in that order. I love Jimi and Clapton. What about Jimmy Page (Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin), he was/is phenominal. I also thought Pete Townsend, Joe Walsh, and Roger McGuinn(Byrds) were excellent. Of the newer guitar players, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai are great. Although I despise country music, Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell are very good. If you ever get the chance to see Esteban, he's unreal. He took lessons from Segovia himself. This boy can play. Check out his live concerts, not the ones on TV.

DG - Yes Kato, Randy Rhoads founded Quiet Riot, long before they had any hits.

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Page is a player, so is Walsh. I never concidered Townsend more than a great rythem player and a good showman, much like Keith Richards. I will agree that most country music kills brain cells...Roy can play but Campbell is a stiff. Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill and Marty Stewart are great players. Jerry Reid {of "Smokey and the Bandit" fame} is a fantastic player with blinding speed.

Sorry to say it like this /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif but I think Esteban, blind or not is a clown. I have seen him live in Miami and in my opinion Paco DeLucia blows him away.

What a great post......

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> . So, the question is, who in your opinion is the best guitarist dead or alive? <hr /></blockquote>I can never pin it down to one. I always have to go with 5 or so. Each legitimately has a claim. Each listed have their own style.

In no particular order:

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton

Fred

Chris Cass
08-02-2003, 04:41 PM
I miss you buddy.

C.C.~~did I do something wrong? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
08-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi Ralph,

I have to say Hendrix.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi Ya Voodoo,

I can't believe Roy Clark isn't on your list. I'm not all that familiar with the country music scene but Roy has talent beyond belief. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~don't ask me what songs he's made but I'm very impressed with his play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barry
08-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Showing my age a little, the best I ever heard was
Jeff Beck. He was in a band called Faces with Rod Stewert
and later put out an album called Blow by Blow. Well worth checking out.

Barry

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr> Showing my age a little, the best I ever heard was
Jeff Beck. He was in a band called Faces with Rod Stewert
and later put out an album called Blow by Blow. Well worth checking out.

Barry <hr /></blockquote>Does that show your age or your taste?

Fred

Fran Crimi
08-02-2003, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Last December I played some McGlaughlin for Fran and Carol while they were down for the WPBA Nationals, maybe that day will jog their memory...they both were in awe. <hr /></blockquote>

Was that before or after that Indian guy held a machete to my throat?

Yes, I remember McGlaughin and he is incredible.

Fran

Candyman
08-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Jimi Hendrix, but kudos to Stevie Ray, Roy Clark and what about the one and only BB King?

Karatemom
08-02-2003, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> Jimi Hendrix, but kudos to Stevie Ray, Roy Clark and what about the one and only BB King? <hr /></blockquote>Now SRV, there was a guitarist. Saw him in concert a couple of times. One of the best!

Heide

Nightstalker
08-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Slash from G&amp;R was very good, but probably not the best.

Qtec
08-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Nobody ever heard of John Martyn ?

All time best ? If I had to choose one , I would go for Jimi. When that guy had a guitar in his hands , it became part of him . As if there was a direct link between the guitar and his emotions .Jimi was special .

He didnt just play , it was more that.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
08-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Hendrix. Because he was such a groundbreaker along with incredible talent. He changed guitar playing in general to a tremendous extent.

I always liked guitarists with speed. Consequently I never thought Clapton was all that good, even though I liked Cream very much.

I always liked Michael Schenker from UFO, Alvin Lee of Ten Years After, Alex Lifeson of Rush, Brian May of Queen, and of course Ronnie Montrose. Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush was great even though he copied Hendrix's style. Randy Rhoads was so good I think he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for being the best guitarist alive for a few years.

Terry Kath of Chicago was quite good, but he blew his brains out, Probably because he did not want to play "If You Leave Me Now" one more time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When I used to listen to jazz I thought Al DiMeola was technically the best I heard. Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow was a nice surprise when it came out. We all said "That's Jeff Beck?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif Lee Ritenour had a nice sound.

As far as country, the guitar players don't really get to show their chops as much as I would like. There's a session player named Albert Lee who is the best I've heard. Roy Clark, Marty Stuart, and Jerry Reed are all great pickers, as mentioned before.

And an honorable mention goes to my uncle, Clyde Phillips, who played with George Jones for 5 years. When he let 'er rip he was as good as any country picker I have ever heard. He quit the road to raise a family years ago.

I'm sure I've forgotten somebody.

Barbara
08-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Hey Little Buddy!!

I'm here!! It's been a busy weekend. I tried to call you and Heide last week and found out that our long distance had been cut off as Pete forgot to send in something to our long distance carrier.

How's things going with you?

I'm in the middle of kicking my CA brother's butt at pool. Going back today to my folks to feed him another serving of crow. I'll post the results later on.

Barbara~~~packing my 'Boti and kicking a$$... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Stanley Clarke is also a phenominal bassist.

I saw him live at a small venue in West Philly many moons ago and was just blwn away.

He also performed with Al Dimeola and Jean Luc Ponty at the Music Fair near Valley Forge years later and I was still impressed.

Barbara~~~Where Have I Known You Before...

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Stanley Clarke is also a phenominal bassist.

<font color="red"> Stanley Clarke is solid...dont get me started on bass players. Les Claypool, Flea and Leeland Sklar are tops for me </font color>

I saw him live at a small venue in West Philly many moons ago and was just blown away.

He also performed with Al Dimeola and Jean Luc Ponty at the Music Fair near Valley Forge years later and I was still impressed.

<font color="red"> Al DiMeola, Paco DeLucia and John McGlaughlin recorded and played some tours together...DO NOT miss them if they do it one more time. Jean Luc Ponty is awesome...like Stepan Grapelli {sp} </font color>

Barbara~~~Where Have I Known You Before...<font color="red"> I dunno, HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!! </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2003, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Was that before or after that Indian guy held a machete to my throat?

<font color="blue"> I think it was before...anything after that was just a blurry example of what a machete` will do for your memory!! </font color>

Yes, I remember McGlaughin and he is incredible.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

nAz
08-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Wow no one mentioned BBKing or Muddy, not even Stevie Ray!!!

Ralph S.
08-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Yes Kato, Randy and Kevin Dubrow were the founders of QR.

Ralph S.&gt;is an 80''s HARD ROCK WHIZ

Ralph S.
08-03-2003, 01:40 PM
I am very impressed, I didn't think many here would know who Malmsteen was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I personally like Yngwie myself, my only knock on him is he is too repetitious at times.

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2003, 01:46 PM
My favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughan...hearing him play Jimi's "Voodoo Chile" &lt;slight return&gt; still gives me chills ...posted in my first post. Now, step away from the bong NAZ...HAHAHAHAH

Ralph S.
08-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Ahhhhhhh Barbara, you are mentioning one of my first loves, the instrument I play. While Stanley Clarke is one of the great bass players, here are some that are better.

1&gt;Steve Harris from Iron Maiden
2&gt;Geddy Lee from Rush
3&gt;Bob Daisley from early Ozzy years.
4&gt;Willie Weeks from the Doobie Bros.
5&gt;Jaco Pastorious from Wheater Report.-- this group is very
awesome, a progressive jazz group and Jaco is the best
bassist ever hands down. THIS IS A MUST LISTEN. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2003, 01:58 PM
I didnt waste text tryin' to convince KATO that RR was a Quiet Riot founder, he says I'm old and I have no musical taste at all....HAHAHAAHAHAHA. Thanks for fixin' that for us Ralph

Ralph S.
08-03-2003, 02:01 PM
No problem at all VDD. Glad I could be of assistance.

Barbara
08-03-2003, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>
5&gt;Jaco Pastorious from Wheater Report.-- this group is very
awesome, a progressive jazz group and Jaco is the best
bassist ever hands down. THIS IS A MUST LISTEN. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It's been waaaay too long since I've listened to Weather Report!

Wow. I wonder if it's available on CD or I may have to hook up the ole B&amp;O turntable.

Barbara

Rich R.
08-03-2003, 03:29 PM
If your going to list bass players, you have to include
Tim Bogart and Jack Cassidy.

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2003, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> It's been waaaay too long since I've listened to Weather Report!

Wow. I wonder if it's available on CD or I may have to hook up the ole B&amp;O turntable. Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

"Weather Report's" Heavy Weather is available on CD...Digitally remastered by Columbia. A plus to the recording is the presence of Joe Zawinul, Keyboardist extrodinaire!!

Voodoo~~~looks out for the Pecan Lady

Barbara
08-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Heavy Weather!!!! OMIGOD!!! I gotta get it!!!

Barbara~~~knows Voodoo prefers the red pistachios /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Heavy Wheather is a great album. I was introduced to it by my bass instructor years ago. Coincidentally he went to the same music school and is a close personal friend of the Doobies bassist Willie Weeks.

Kato
08-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Voodoo, it's not that I think you don't have any taste....................ok, you do listen to those 3 guys that only know 1 song but you're ok for an old dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The reason I couldn't fathom that Randy Rhoads played in Quiet Riot was that QR never did any "guitar god" stuff. They were pretty much just a plain, brooding rock band. Nothing like how he played with Ozzy.

Kato

Kato
08-03-2003, 05:48 PM
At least we agree on Yngwie /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif See, you've got some taste.

Kato~~~doesn't know anything about music once Voodoo walks in the room

Kato
08-03-2003, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I always liked Michael Schenker from UFO, <hr /></blockquote>

Didn't they do "Lights Out In London" MSG right?

Fifth Angel did a re-make of that song and it was awesome. I'm gonna see if I can find some of their stuff online. Thanks Wally.

Kato

SpiderMan
08-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Wow, there are so many greats ... Alvin Lee I always liked for his style, Clapton is best for just plain listening, Hendrix was sure a groundbreaker though maybe not as technically talented, Lee Ritenour one of the top studio guys, Tom Nunnery is one of the best stand-in and session men around, and of course who could forget that ugly kid from the "Fabulous Thunderbirds"!!!!

SpiderMan

bolo
08-04-2003, 04:03 AM
I knew this guy quite well toward the end of his life. We would have breakfast at Denny's most mornings. He would come to a Bottle club I liked to go to called Midnight's, there was a lot of pool action there. He would have something to drink and watch the pool games, nobody knew who he was. Sometimes someone would ask for an autograph in Denny's or someplace but for the most part he was all but forgotten. I was not there the night he was killed, I had a date. It is likely he wanted to see me or someone else who he could bum a few bucks, or few drinks off of when he began kicking the door when they would not let him in. The place where he was beaten to death is now a popular pool room. I don't know a lot about music but I am told he was considered one of the greatest bass players ever, but when I knew him, he had problems.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-04-2003, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
Didn't they do "Lights Out In London"

<font color="blue">UFO did "Lights Out in London". The greatest hits album I have has a live version that is great. </font color>

MSG right?

<font color="blue">MSG was the Michael Schenker Group. This was after he left UFO. They were nothing to write home about. </font color>

Fifth Angel did a re-make of that song and it was awesome. I'm gonna see if I can find some of their stuff online. Thanks Wally.

Kato

<font color="blue">Speaking of remakes, you have heard "Breadfan" by Metallica I assume. That was originally done by a group named "Budgie". They were quite good. Their greatest hits cd is still available. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
08-07-2003, 09:59 AM
All the great guitarists mentioned and no one brought up Steven Still of the Buffalo Springfield and CSN and CSN&amp;Y fame.

I could listen to Mr. Stills play the guitar forever..

Trivia fact... Mr. Hendrix wanted Mr. Stills to play in Jimi's band.

9 Ball Girl
08-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but in no particular order:

Eric Clapton
Jimmy Hendrix
Jimmy Paige (did I spell that right?)

Wendy&lt;---born too late!

Barbara
08-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Wow, I didn't know he was dead. I was just looking for my "Heavy Weather" CD and then I remembered that it's on tape and I don't have a tape player in my car. Or home, for that matter any more. I recorded it off an LP.

All of my old equipment is stored and probable the platter is toast. I hope not.

Barbara~~~gotta go looking for some recast LPs into CDs.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Wally_in_Cincy - Since you like Michael Schenker/UFO,(I do also), have you ever heard hin with the Scorpions? If not, pick up a copy of Lonesome Crow. It is unbelievable.

DG

CarolNYC
08-08-2003, 03:53 AM
Hey Steve,
OF COURSE I remember /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):):)
Carol

Voodoo Daddy
08-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Midnights...the spot of midnight spots in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. I watched Ambrose make the rent in there more than once. I would see Jaco at Musicians Exchange along with Al DiMeola, Steve Morse of the Dregs or Kansas fame &amp; Bruce Hornsby of the Range or later the Greatful Dead and countless others. Sunday night open mike nights helped a aspiring musician like I was get accepted into a oh-too-tight music scene {kinda like pro pool players?}. My eyes swell up from the memories....

Voodoo Daddy
08-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Hendrix trivia? He opened for the MONKEYS one summer, Lil Richard fired him because he took some of the spotlight away from him and he was the only musician to play at the 1969 Woodstock twice...Stills can still play but cant carry a tune inna wheelbarrel!!

One of my favorites that I dint mention is David Gilmore of Pink Floyd. He can make a few notes sound like a hurricane and a tornado...super gifted!!!

MikeM
08-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Check him out. Two hands, sounds like an orchestra.

MM

Voodoo Daddy
08-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Leave it to MikeM for obscurity...how about Ry Cooder, Tinsley Ellis, Robben Ford, Allan Holdsworth, Larry Coryell or Tommy Tedesco? Adrian Legg...good one brotha!!!

Candyman
08-10-2003, 05:39 PM
I must live in my own little world, because nobody has mentioned Kenny Wayne Sheppard. He is a reincarnation of SRV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MikeM
08-11-2003, 07:48 AM
I love Ry Cooder and Tommy Tedesco, haven't heard of the others though. I'll definitely check them out with your recommendation.

Also add Nils Lofgren to the great guitarist lists. He's a magician as well.

And Pat Metheny.

MM

dmgwalsh
09-25-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Though I said I wouldnt post again &lt;yeah, right...HAHAHA&gt;, this subject is right up my alley. Hendrix, though only a professional musician for 5 or 6 years changed the way the guitar is listened too. Clapton is the best mainstream guitar player due to his popularity and longevity {Jack Bruce, Cream's bassist and frontman made Clapton famous in my opinion}. All names mentioned will be paled in comparision after JOHN MCGLAUGHLIN'S name is mentioned. He played with all the greats like Joe Pass, Hendrix, Clapton, Larry Coryell...the list goes on. Django Rhienhard {sp} was another fantastic player, talent beyond words.

Last December I played some McGlaughlin for Fran and Carol while they were down for the WPBA Nationals, maybe that day will jog their memory...they both were in awe. Just for fun here is a VOODOO top 20;

1]John McGlaughlin {Mahavishnu Orchestra}
2]Jimi Hendrix
3]Stevie Ray Vaughan
4]Johnny Winter {Texas Boogie/Slide Master}
5]Leslie West {Mountain}
6]Ronnie Montrose {Montrose featuring Sammy Hagar}
7]Paco DeLucia {Flaminco monster}
8]Al DiMeola {Fusion Jazz Great}
9]Duanne Allman
10]Robert Fripp {King Crimson}
11]Jeff Beck {Beck Bogart Appice/Jeff Beck Group featuring Rod Stewart}
12]Steve Howe {YES/GTR}
13]Dickie Betts {Allman Brothers}
14]Eddie Van Halen
15]Steve Morse {Dixie Dregs/Kansas}
16]Derek Trucks {Allman Brothers}
17]Zakk Wylde {OZZY/Black Label Society}
18]Randy Rhoades {OZZY}
19]Yngwie Malmsteen
20]Trey Anastasia {Phish/Oysterhead}

My favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughan...hearing him play Jimi's "Voodoo Chile" &lt;slight return&gt; still gives me chills <hr /></blockquote>

This is a nice list, but I don't know them all. McLaughlin, DeLucia and Dimeola were very good together.
Stevie Ray is number one for me with Eric second. Alvin Lee was cool, especially doing "Going home" at Woodstock. Roy Buchanan did some cool stuff many years ago.

L.S. Dennis
09-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Best blues/jazz would be Robben Ford without question.
Best straight jazz might be Joe Pass, Herb Ellis or Pat Martino.