PDA

View Full Version : Quick tip installing question ?

Snyder1
08-02-2003, 11:14 AM
I've installed a few tips - mostly on house cues (nothing of any real value). The main question I have has to do with sanding the leather flush with the plastic ferrule WITHOUT scraching the hell out of the ferrule in the process. I find at a minimum 120 grit sandpaper is needed to shape leather (finer grits take painfully long)- which leaves behind scratches in the ferrule which are very difficult to remove without misshaping the ferrule, and consequently the tip. Just curious how one is supposed to sand the tip flush with the ferrule (I bought a set of Talisman tips & don't want to make a mess out of the ferrule on my Lucasi) - thx very much.

JS (PS ... what type of glue do you use ? )

bolo
08-02-2003, 11:33 AM
They are not sanded down, they are machined down on a precision lathe or with a tool for the purpose. You may want to start by cutting the tip flush with the ferrule using a razor knife before doing any finish work. Maybe even masking the ferrule to protect it. It can be a litle tricky, but if you are just doing it for yourself it is no big deal.

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Spiderman has a nifty routine of using an razor knife blade angled almost parallel with the ferrule, while spinning on his lathe, to tweak the ridge away. I have a drill instead of a lathe, and I personally have to put more tedious time in touching mine to near perfection, but not steady enough to successfully do the blade routine. You really should see Spiderman's finished product though. It's a damn fine piece of art, it really is...sid

Rod
08-02-2003, 12:47 PM
The best solution I've found by hand is mask the ferrule first. With the tip resting on a block of wood, make small cuts near flush with the ferrule. Buy a 1" wide nail file from Walgreens to finish the sides flush with the ferrule. Sanding with a peice of sandpaper is not near accurate enough and you will run into the ferrule. I use the side of my thumb as a guide so I don't hit the tape or ferrule.

Actually I have a little tool, I made, that Spiderman originally invented. I spin it in a drill and cut my tips. That hand stuff is a pain but you can make it near perfect with some practice.

Rod

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> I've installed a few tips - mostly on house cues (nothing of any real value). The main question I have has to do with sanding the leather flush with the plastic ferrule WITHOUT scraching the hell out of the ferrule in the process. I find at a minimum 120 grit sandpaper is needed to shape leather (finer grits take painfully long)- which leaves behind scratches in the ferrule which are very difficult to remove without misshaping the ferrule, and consequently the tip. Just curious how one is supposed to sand the tip flush with the ferrule (I bought a set of Talisman tips &amp; don't want to make a mess out of the ferrule on my Lucasi) - thx very much.

JS (PS ... what type of glue do you use ? ) <hr /></blockquote>

Without a lathe, I've had big success using the Joe Porper Big Shaver. I've also seen people with good success using Joe Porper's Little Shaver. But, I think you need to have lots of practice and get the right technique without chunking the whole deal.

Currently, I use a lathe. I run the a razor blade down the side of the ferrule using it as the guide while trimming the tip. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not difficult. Buying the lathe is the difficult part.

A friend of mine who used to be the tip guy at a local pool hall still does it with a razor knife and a block of wood, putting the tip side down and slicing down the side of the tip little by little. His results end up nearly as good as anything I do with tools. However, his job takes a long time. Mine takes minutes. As far as I know, he's in the process of ordering the same lathe I have.

Fred

Snyder1
08-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Fred ... I'm a woodworker &amp; have a Jet 36" woodworking lathe. Do you need a specialized cue lathe of some sort ? If a conventional woodworking lathe is what you mean, what kind of mounting system would one use to spin a tapered piece like a cue - it would seem a very challenging to mount anything in a chuck that is already tapered. Thanks for your help ...

John

Fran Crimi
08-02-2003, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
A friend of mine who used to be the tip guy at a local pool hall still does it with a razor knife and a block of wood, putting the tip side down and slicing down the side of the tip little by little.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I tried that method once. I thought I was doing great when everything was upside down (cut cut, chop chop). When I was done and turned it right side up my tip looked like this.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_2k1.jpg

Fran ~~ Hope this helps.

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 06:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> Hi Fred ... I'm a woodworker &amp; have a Jet 36" woodworking lathe. Do you need a specialized cue lathe of some sort ? If a conventional woodworking lathe is what you mean, what kind of mounting system would one use to spin a tapered piece like a cue - it would seem a very challenging to mount anything in a chuck that is already tapered. Thanks for your help ...

John <hr /></blockquote>I use a mini precision metal lathe.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/MVC-051S.JPG

However, Anything that can make a cue spin will do, but you have to come up with a way to chuck both ends and expose the tip end. The Spiderman Chuck is a great tool to chuck the joint end of the shaft. I've used a rollerbearing mounted in a piece of plywood for the tip end as a steady rest. I'm also in the process of building a "chuck" of sorts for the tip end that consists of a strain relief for electrical cords/cable. The strain relief has a rubber grommet that tightens up as you turn the tightening nut. I've mounted this in a rollerbearing. So rather than putting the shaft into the hole of the rollerbearing, I'll be putting into a pseudo-chuck mounted in a rollerbearing just like a chuck/spindle set up. It might work. It might break my shafts.

I'll take pictures and some point.

Fred &lt;~~~ willing to give it a go

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 06:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> it would seem a very challenging to mount anything in a chuck that is already tapered. Thanks for your help ...<hr /></blockquote>I can't find the original picture for SpiderMan's chuck, but here's my knockoff version. His is better.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/MVC-048S.JPG

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-02-2003, 06:09 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Fred &lt;~~~ that was funny

almer
08-02-2003, 10:28 PM
This week i changed tips on my playing shafts and put a new black ferrule with dynamite hard tip on my break cue.I put a moorie on 1,and a med hard hercules on the other.I have a metal lathe i use to cut sides of tips and ferrules.Works well.In the past i used knife,metal shaper to get it fairly round,then sandpaper to shape.I tried my dremel with a metal cutting tool on its fastest speed.I also reversed my lathe and had it on a high speed,I only cut for a few seconds at a time to prevent heating the tip too much.It took about a minute and i had a perfect shaped tip.Couple swipes with sandpaper and i had a perfect shape.In the past i have spent quite a bit of time instaling layered tips. almer

L.S. Dennis
08-03-2003, 04:24 PM
As far as the glue is concerned, try Duro Super Glue Gel that seems to be the glue of choice.

SpiderMan
08-03-2003, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
A friend of mine who used to be the tip guy at a local pool hall still does it with a razor knife and a block of wood, putting the tip side down and slicing down the side of the tip little by little.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I tried that method once. I thought I was doing great when everything was upside down (cut cut, chop chop). When I was done and turned it right side up my tip looked like this.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_2k1.jpg

Fran ~~ Hope this helps. <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,

Believe it or not, one of my "sometimes" hangouts recently had all their nice Dufferin cues re-tipped, and their FERRULES now look like that!!!!! Looks like they were held against a belt sander.

SpiderMan

pooltchr
08-04-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> As far as the glue is concerned, try Duro Super Glue Gel that seems to be the glue of choice. <hr /></blockquote>
If you can still find it, buy up all you can get. I heard the company got sold, and may not be able to get this product much longer. I have used it for years, and hope to be able to find something comparable. If anyone finds a good substitute, let me know.

Qtec
08-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Just cover the ferrule with tape . I shave the tip using a hand file and finish it off with sandpaper .. No problem.

I have done 60 cues a day using this method .

Q