PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue

bott1637
08-02-2003, 01:51 PM
What is it that makes a break cue a good break cue. I know a lot of people just use thier old cue when getting a new one so there is nothing different there. What about cue made as break cues though. Is the tip different than a playing cue, different hardness, different curvature? Do you use a different weight? Different taper or shaft? Basically in what ways is your break cue different than your playing cue?

rackmup
08-02-2003, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bott1637:</font><hr> What is it that makes a break cue a good break cue? <hr /></blockquote>

Shoot...that's easy:

Computational tools are an essential element of break cue design as the only break-power effective means to achieve preeminent ball-spread objectives. However, because of limitations in both current computational capability and basic physical understanding, computational design methods are currently limited to qualitative screening of alternative shaft/tip/weight and balance configurations. Future Billiards Congress of America, American Pool Players Association and other organized bodies performance requirements, as outlined in the advanced phases of the Integrated High Performance Break Cue Technology and the Versatile Affordable Advanced design and construction methods, will require cue designers to go well beyond evolutionary strategies relative to current break cue designs. This research addresses both computational design deficiencies and physicobreakiological shortcomings so cue designers can produce quantitatively accurate computational design methodology resulting in an overall design that produces maximum ball/rack spread without the currently present hazard of the launching of the cueball from the table bed and into a plate of chicken wings on the food service side of any given billiards establishment.

This research study was considered, verified and immediately incorporated into the design of the PREDATOR BK break cue and recognized by P.U.C.K.I. (<font color="red">P</font color>oolcue <font color="red">U</font color>sers <font color="red">C</font color>oordinated <font color="red">K</font color>inetic design <font color="red">I</font color>nstitute) as the most advanced break cue available today.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken (in a quantitatively accurate computationally embellished sort of way.)

pooljunkie73
08-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Dude, My eyes just crossed reading that post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
08-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ken, you just melted my brain.

Kato

JPB
08-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Something that won't lose a lot of energy to extraneous buckling and such. And somehting that doesn't have a huge amount of deflection. So something solid and hard hitting. IOW a good cue. So if your playing cue doesn't break the balls well, you need a new playing cue. If you are worried about mashing the tip, try a better tip. Or use a different cue that meets the other criteria. If you are worried about snapping the shaft because you bend the shaft into the cloth you need a new stroke and a physics lesson.

rackmup
08-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Man, I'm just trying to help.

Regards,

Ken (a "Helper")

griffith_d
08-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Ken

That is nothing but a bunch of bull$hit,....

but very good bull$hit!!

Griff

griffith_d
08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bott1637:</font><hr> What is it that makes a break cue a good break cue. I know a lot of people just use thier old cue when getting a new one so there is nothing different there. What about cue made as break cues though. Is the tip different than a playing cue, different hardness, different curvature? Do you use a different weight? Different taper or shaft? Basically in what ways is your break cue different than your playing cue? <hr /></blockquote>

What Ken was trying to say, but got caught up in the moment of scientificism,....basically a break cue is comprised of everything the Predator BK is,

1. Stiffer shaft,..this is accomplished by actually being thicker(it does not have to be thicker to be stiffer) than the standard 314.
2. The tip is very hard,..and the nickel shape comes to mind.
3. The weight should be lighter(debatable) than a normal playing cue.
4. The ferrule is usually shorter and hard.
5. The joint should not be soft, such as ivory.
6. The handle is best if it is no wrap for better grip.
7. It should only cost $25,...this is the key and most important factor in a good break cue.

Griff

rackmup
08-02-2003, 10:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> 7. It should only cost $25,...this is the key and most important factor in a good break cue. <hr /></blockquote>

That is exactly what I paid for my Predator BK at Hawley's in Dallas.

<ul type="square"> Predator BK: $25.00 Shipping and Handling: $275. Joint Protectors: free Extra Shaft: $1.99 plus $98.00 shipping and handling. [/list]

It was a bargain.

Regards,

Ken

griffith_d
08-02-2003, 10:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
That is exactly what I paid for my Predator BK at Hawley's in Dallas.

<ul type="square"> Predator BK: $25.00 Shipping and Handling: $275. Joint Protectors: free Extra Shaft: $1.99 plus $98.00 shipping and handling. [/list]

It was a bargain.

Regards,

Ken

<hr /></blockquote>

I got mine at Seybert's for the same price,...the extra shaft was free though I had to buy the Seybert's bucks for $300.

Griff

OnePocketChamp
08-03-2003, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
physicobreakiological shortcomings <hr /></blockquote>

Ken, I agree with your entire post but seem to be having difficulties with my physicobreakiological shortcomings and have consequently seeked help with this from my pool guru "Kato" but alas he has no idea what the hell this is either. Please provide further information but it may take me a few days to read because like Mr. Canada my eyes are still crossed.

Qtec
08-03-2003, 09:09 AM
This just shows how little you know .

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
08-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Do not be so obviously jealous of my knowledge. It isn't becoming.

Regards,

Ken (E does NOT equal mC2 in my world.)

Qtec
08-03-2003, 10:03 AM
This so called composition of yours is almost word for word , the insructions for breaking with maxamum power and still keeping your hair in shape .
These guidelines are freely supplied with every purchase of an Allison Fisher , smooth but manly , Qtec glove , stylishly fashioned for todays player
Also useful for ball bangers .

Hey, Its on the instructions .

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif