PDA

View Full Version : 'Luck' in a whole rack?

phil in sofla
08-02-2003, 08:34 PM
The other day playing 9-ball, I broke and ran, but with four of the middle balls lucked in consecutively.

Some of them were normal kinds of misses going in, banks that were a little short of the intended pocket that went cross table, which I see a lot. One was one of those unintended 'timing' shots, with the cue ball coming back around and kissing the object ball in. One was simply an unintended carom of another ball.

What's the most balls in a rack you've seen lucked in, and have you ever seen an entire rack lucked in? (Getting a quick 9 off an unintended carom is not what I'm talking about, but all the balls left after the break).

I'd almost think that was impossible, except that I think someone has seen almost any impossible thing that I can imagine, given the range of ridiculous things I myself have seen on the table over time.

rackmup
08-02-2003, 08:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> What's the most balls in a rack you've seen lucked in <hr /></blockquote>

On any given night? Just about every ball I make.

Eg8r is the <font color="red">KING</font color> of lucked in 9-ball shots. Just ask him...he'll fess up.

Regards,

Ken

Kato
08-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Don't sell yourself short Phil. I've seen you run racks of shots I considered lucky /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I only get a couple lucky makes per night. I will also usually get a few lucky safes here and there.

Scotty G runs racks based entirely on luck, you've seen him and it's true..

Kato

JPB
08-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Four improbable events in a row will happen quite often. It is nowhere close to impossible. If you play 10,000 games of 9-ball would you expect something like that to occur? Yes, and more often than once every 10000 games. Doesn't sound like very long odds really. I'm not sure how to figure it out, since pool shots don't lend themselves to easy probabilities, but it cant be very long odds. Maybe between 2500-1 and 5000-1 at most. No biggie.

hogman
08-03-2003, 11:02 PM
At my college there was a guy who played occasionally for fun, but he was the KING of slop shots. Usually this did not get him far, but the funny thing is that when he occasionally gambled with one of his friends he would slop in a ridiculous number of balls. I have seen him run both a rack of 8 ball and a rack of 9 ball pretty much from blind luck. And there is no way that any hustling was going on; most of the shots involved him hitting the balls as hard as he can and watching them go 3 or 4 rails and roll in a pocket. The only funny thing was that he had a really good stroke for someone who is not a player, and he was capable of drawing or following pretty well, although he almost never did so for position reasons.

phil in sofla
08-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Low enough odds to happen, but low enough that anyone here has ever seen it happen?

phil in sofla
08-07-2003, 02:41 PM
All you have to do is moan audibly about your miss and the ball is likely to go down somewhere else. I've seen that often enough that when you bitch about a miss, I cringe (if I'm playing you). Otherwise I just laugh, knowing that ball is history and you'll still be shooting.

The problem with running a WHOLE rack by luck is that it means you have to miss EVERYTHING you're trying to make. Not even Scotty G misses everything he shoots at for a whole rack-- he'll make one or two in the intended pocket, normally, LOL!

RedHell
08-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Yep we call that beggin pool ! The more you complain and beg the more they go in.

I have never seen anyone fluke an entire rack, but there's a guy I play against, whenever he's jammed or out of shape he just bangs them around and look. I call this shot the hit and pray. Well the bastard always get one in. I've almost only seen him miss when he's trying something, when he hit and pray he almost always get one in.

I think he's very religious, cuz most of the time his prayers are answered !

Cueless Joey
08-07-2003, 03:13 PM
I've seen one dude with a really bad rug run out with luck.
He banged every ball in and got perfect shape on the 9.
This same banger will not play call the 9 for money.
I made my friend play him call the 9 one time for cash. Big cash. He calls the side pocket and makes the 9 in the corner. Respot! My friend wins it. Baldy has never played call the 9 ever since.