PDA

View Full Version : APA or BCA (or other)?

sack316
08-03-2003, 03:20 AM
just wanted to get a grasp on what league everyone here plays in. I know most are APA or BCA, just wanting to see who all is where. I am in APA and do enjoy it, but see where sandbagging is too common and easy to get away with. But its the only league around here so here I am.

rukiddingme
08-03-2003, 04:20 AM
I play APA once a week. This summer I joined a women's league at Chris' billiards in Chicago which has a 15 week session...5 weeks of 8 ball, 5 weeks of 9 ball and 5 weeks of straight pool. This is not teams...individual play.
In the Fall and Winter I play 8 ball in an in-house league. Teams comprise of 4 people and you get to play against each member of the other team. You score points based upon how many of your opponents balls are left on the table.
I have never played BCA because APA rules around here.
ruk

bluewolf
08-03-2003, 06:29 AM
APA one time per week. There is some sandbagging here too. My hubbie is sl7 and thinks sandbagging is in all leagues.

We have the most problem that most do not mark defensive shots. They will complain about you, but did not mark your defense shots. Now how stupid is that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

rackmup
08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>My hubbie is sl7 and thinks sandbagging is in all leagues.<hr /></blockquote>

Then WW should play in an "open" league and explain how that can be? If there are NO handicaps, no spotted balls, no skill level ratings and instead, just player against player, win or lose, how can there be sandbagging?

When everyone goes into an open format league or tournament, they know ahead of time there will be better and worse players than themselves.

To answer the question: I play APA and BCA once per week and prefer BCA. The APA is fun because the team is fun. The BCA is more fun because we have a stacked team and we kick the crap out of almost everyone we play. We are the "marked" team in the house.

Regards,

Ken (an obvious advocate of open levels of play)

sack316
08-03-2003, 09:54 AM
I wish we had an open league around here, the closest is just some weekly tournaments, but as far as leagues go its all SL based. If it was open I could really see where I am at because people would always play their best and I wouldn't have to wonder if they were sandbagging on me if I come close to beating somebody better. I'll have to bring that up with the league operators and see if we could do a league like that. Thanks for responses!

dg-in-centralpa
08-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I play in an open league with no handicap and no playoffs. Each game means something. If you sandbag, your team gets hurt. I used to play in a Valley league with handicaps and sandbagging. That has since changed to an open league. Again no handicap, but we do have playoffs and some sandbagging, but not much. The higher you place in the regular season, the more money you make. Sandbagging does not pay in my leagues.

DG

rackmup
08-03-2003, 10:03 AM
The one I participate in (along with OPC) is an "In-House" league at Click's Billiards.

I would suggest approaching the House Manager at your favorite room and propose the idea to him/her. It's good for business (table time is included in the league fees, food and beverage sales have to go up and as an added perk, membership in the league gets you free table time.)

Regards,

Ken

almer
08-03-2003, 10:22 AM
The league i play in is a dual sanctioned league,BCA,VNEA.In may we decide as a team when we are going to Vegas,sometimes we go to both events.In the leagues i play in masters but there are lower divisions all the way down to rec players.In most cases people play at thier skill level.The league can move you up or down. almer

bluewolf
08-03-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>My hubbie is sl7 and thinks sandbagging is in all leagues.<hr /></blockquote>

Then WW should play in an "open" league and explain how that can be? If there are NO handicaps, no spotted balls, no skill level ratings and instead, just player against player, win or lose, how can there be sandbagging?

Regards,

Ken (an obvious advocate of open levels of play) <hr /></blockquote>

WOW. I think that Vicki and Amanda know about BCA here. I thought it was handicapped based on number of balls pocketed but now I am not sure. Definately something to look into.

But if it is not handicapped, would not it also be hard for me to get on a team? Would not they just want people like equal to speed of you or kato, for example?

I guess that sounds like I am putting my play down. I do not mean it to sound that way. It is more like I am clueless. A ball goes in, I do not know what that means in skill or anything else that I do. I know that I am better than I used to be, but really am clueless about it,I mean if it is a difficult shot or not. Sometimes what I think is easy, others say it is not and so forth. I think that the APA numbers can confuse a person and tell not much about what that person can do, any person, not just me.

Laura

rackmup
08-03-2003, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I thought it was handicapped based on number of balls pocketed but now I am not sure.<hr /></blockquote>

While that might be the case for Team Scores for tie-breaking purposes, it still doesn't give you an advantage over your opponent (or visa-versa.)

Get in one. It will absolutely change your level of play. As for the question of who would want a player of your skill level: Put together a team of your own! Have fun and get better at the same time (suggestion: do this without WW. Less pressure that way.)

Regards,

Ken (Want to play handicapped pool? Trip, fall down, snap a tibia, break your arm and show up on crutches and in a cast. Now you're "handicapped.")