PDA

View Full Version : APA Nationals in Vegas

datplayer
08-03-2003, 08:47 AM
So will anyone be coming up to the APA National Team event? This will be my consecutive year and first as the team captain (9-ball).

Wally_in_Cincy
08-07-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> So will anyone be coming up to the APA National Team event? This will be my consecutive year and first as the team captain (9-ball). <hr /></blockquote>

I will be there to watch my girlfriend's team and play in some mini's hopefully. Aug. 15th to 18th

ChrisW
08-07-2003, 11:24 AM
How can teams manage to make it to Vegas so often?
Here we have a city tournament of over 100 8-ball teams competing for 4 spots. This is a handicapped league so all teams should be fairly close as far as chances to win. I have played in the city tournament for 10 years and got 5th place once. During that time I think a team has repeated once or twice.
It seems I've heard other teams have a legitimate chance each year.
Is this true or not?

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
08-07-2003, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisW:</font><hr> How can teams manage to make it to Vegas so often?
Here we have a city tournament of over 100 8-ball teams competing for 4 spots. This is a handicapped league so all teams should be fairly close as far as chances to win. I have played in the city tournament for 10 years and got 5th place once. During that time I think a team has repeated once or twice.
It seems I've heard other teams have a legitimate chance each year.
Is this true or not?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

They take 4 teams from my area. Usually at least 2 of these are composed of the same people. I know people that have gone 6 or 8 times during the last 10 years. One team gets there due to pure, blatant sandbagging. There's also a group of folks who always stay at the top end of their handicap and end up on the same team. You know what I mean, a 3,4,or5 who wins a lot but never goes up. They don't want to get any better, just good enough to be at the top end of their s/l. These folks usually play 3 or 4 nights a week on teams that are city-qualified, which increases their odds of going to Vegas. I know at least a dozen people who were city-qualified on 3 different teams.

I feel your pain. In 2001 our league sent 3 teams, we finished 4th.

Wally~~APA 5 years

datplayer
08-08-2003, 08:59 AM
We only send one team in 9-ball and two in 8-ball. Our league doesn't have nearly as many teams as other cities. The playoff round is only 4 teams, with only the winner heading to the City tournament. This past spring, the city 9-ball tournament only had 7 teams! Needless to say, it's much easier to go to nationals multiple times in our league than in others.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-08-2003, 10:11 AM
We had 63 open teams and 16 ladies teams in our city tournament

The league sends 4 open and 2 ladies teams to Vegas.

jjinfla
08-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Get in tight with the LO and you can go as a referee. Jake