PDA

View Full Version : Doubling The Bet, How Big?

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2003, 08:48 AM
I can't count the number of times that an opponent in a money match will want to double the bet, and I've fallen on both the positive and break even side of these wagers, mostly it seems that I've broken even though. Doubling up eventually get's you a win if your pockets are deep enough and you don't totally suck at the game. I wondered, what was some of the biggest doubing wagers you've seen or were personally involved, which eventually ended in even-stephen. Earliest one I had was back in college in the frat house, I and another brother was playing 2 against 1(can't remember how that lined up) in 8-ball, playing for 6-packs of beer. My college finances was such that every six pack was great when they came easy, and this guy's dad owned a liquor store a few hours away so supply or payment was no issue. Well it got out of hand, Tick(nickname) would lose and double up again and eventually this thing cascaded up to him betting 10 cases each for me and the other guy, a 20 case game for him if he lost. That last game which he won was sooooooo sloppy, almost like we didn't WANT to beat him. I think back on it and wonder what purpose it would have served to have won and made the guy fess up to such a lop-sided competition to begin with. I actually remember that past event now when I get the players wanting doubler, and limit him or myself to one double.

Do you get caught up in doubling a bet, and if so, how high has it gone???sid

Mr Ingrate
08-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Sid,

Once upon a time about 20 years ago, my offices were across the street from the Point After Sports Bar in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is long gone now. One night I played with one of the owners after hours. We already had a few too many when we started playing for $5 per game. I won the first two and the doubling started. 20 or nothing, then 40, 80, 160, 320, 640, 1280 and 2560. He literally couldn't make a ball and our consumption of alcohol increased every game. In that final game I had a simple cut on the 8-ball in the side. I cut it in and put enough draw on the cue ball to scratch in the corner. He never accused me of dumping the game, but from that time on I got an unusual number of drinks on the house. We played after hours many more times, but he never wanted to double up.

Qtec
08-03-2003, 10:46 AM
You are too much of a nice guy to take him to the cleaners .

Been there .

You did the right thing .

Q

Qtec
08-03-2003, 10:49 AM
I find it much easier to kick somebody,s a$$ when I dont like them .

When I really dont like them , I want to grind them into the dirt . I want to stamp on them .

Almost in the zone there . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec

Mr Ingrate
08-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Being able to play pool after hours in a bar across the street AND get served, priceless!

rackmup
08-03-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I want to stamp on them <hr /></blockquote>

Shouldn't that be "stomp?" Or is 'stamp" a reference to "past-tense" e.g.,

"I didn't need to beat him. I stamped on him yesterday."

Or would it be a reference to "paste-tense" e.g.,

"After I beat him I stamped him with some leftover Gold Bonds and a few 2-centers'."

Or did I just completely miss your meaning?

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
08-03-2003, 04:36 PM
You're not fooling me...I know you set the guy up from the get-go to make him feel obligated to give you the free drinks.

You sly fox you.

Regards,

Ken (free is a good price)

Vapros
08-03-2003, 04:50 PM
C'mon, Rackmup. 'Stamp' is quite correct. 'Stomp' is just an informal take-off on the word. I figgered you would know that.