PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - SUPER POOL CHALLENGE begins!

tomcoleman
08-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Greetings Everyone!

Super Pool Challenge's first Championship Series kicks off on August 1st, 2003 in the Southeast. We are looking for Tournament Qualifier Location Partners (Pool Halls, Billiard Centers, Bars, Taverns, Pubs, etc.) in and around our 4 Regionals - Atlanta, Georgia; Savannah, Georgia; Jacksonville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina. If you play pool - recommend your favorite Pool playing establishment in these areas by visiting our website and you could win Prizes and CASH! Participation fee is only $20 per Qualifier you compete in.

If you are ready to "Take The Challenge" - there will be up to 64 Qualifying Tournaments in each Regional, where players can qualify to advance to the SUPER POOL CHALLENGE GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP, to win their share of up to $30,000 + Prizes! We are excited to bring this new Tournament format to the "Everyday" pool player.

No Pro's will be allowed to compete in the Super Pool Challenge. Pro Player is defined as: Any Player listed by the BCA as a Pro, any player having competed on any Pro Tour as a Pro, or any player having received money in any Pro Pool Event. This Series is strictly for the "everyday" player who enjoys the sport of pool and wishes to compete on a level playing field and become a Champion!

Please visit our website for further information. Please don't hesitate to give us a call or an email if we may be of assistance. Since we are building this Series for you - we welcome your thoughts and opinions on our new Series.

Thanks & Have Fun!

Tom Coleman
Director of Tournaments - Super Pool Challenge
Email: Tom@SuperChallenges.com
Website: www.SuperChallenges.com (http://www.SuperChallenges.com)
Office: (912) 865-9265

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2003, 11:35 AM
What area is considered southeast???sid

tomcoleman
08-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi!

If the Pool establishment is in and around our 4 Regionals - Atlanta, Georgia; Savannah, Georgia; Jacksonville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina then they could host a Qualifier.

If the player is in or around these areas, or wishes to travel to a Qualifier - they can compete.

We will expand to other cities with Super Pool Challenge #2 starting in January.

Tom

rackmup
08-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Sid,

We need to gather up the Texas Contingent and plan a road trip to sunny Florida. OPC, SPetty, Spiderman, and the others could raise some hell in Florida.

I'm not saying we could win or anything, I'm just sayinmg we could raise some hell.

Regards,

Ken (raised in Arizona which has the same ambient temperature as Hell)

tomcoleman
08-03-2003, 11:57 AM
If you wanted to compete in one of the Regionals - just put together some qualifiers in your area, then the winners can travel to the nearest Regional and compete to advance to the Grand Championship.

But - they would have to travel to the Regional - and if they advanced to the Grand Championship - would have to travel to Savannah, Georgia - that's a lot of miles. But - it is a possibility.

Tom

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Spiderman and I talk about making a trip down to Orlando area, he has a good friend living there who has a 9' Diamond at home. Problem is, most of the bargain air fares doesn't fit our current 3-day weekend schedule after the cutback to 32 hours, and I'm personally tapped out on vacation time to extend it. Circumstances are going to have to change for me if it really happens. We do have a holiday in September though, which produces a 4-day weekend...maybe there's some room to work there, even by driving straight through instead of flying. Does sound like a hoot though! If we drove, I'd like to make sure to at least stop by Andy's PH in Fort Walton Beach for a hello. He said he'd buy ma a beer, and I'd never miss the chance for a freebie ;-) sid

rackmup
08-03-2003, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> He said he'd buy me a beer, and I'd never miss the chance for a freebie <hr /></blockquote>

If he'll buy me one too then I vote for stopping as well.

Eg8r lives in Orlando...I'm certain he'd put us up. I hear he lives on the beach in one of those fancy homes that have an entire glass wall that looks out onto the Atlantic.

I also hear that a lot of single women wearing those next-to-nothing bikinis hang out at Eg8r's because he is sort of known as the BIG PIMP in his neighborhood...

Regards,

Ken (likes single women but they do not like me)

Ken
08-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Does this mean that Rodney Morris, Ronnie Alcano, Ryan McCreesh and Jarrod Clowery (who's beaten Strickland at least twice lately) are all eligible to play? Is there a BCA list that is newer than October 2002?

It seems to me there hasn't been a "pro pool event" in years except maybe for the Challenge of Champions. Maybe all the UPA events are now "pro" events by fiat of the Little Dictator. There could be a lot of players who wish they hadn't signed those contracts making them instant "Touring Professionals".
KenCT

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2003, 01:30 PM
"I also hear that a lot of single women wearing those next-to-nothing bikinis hang out at Eg8r's"

They'll "play" with us, right? I'd love to be a rail bird for some of those stretch shots. Bun-City, man-o-man, I AM THERE IN MY MIND! SID

tomcoleman
08-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Ken said: "Does this mean that Rodney Morris, Ronnie Alcano, Ryan McCreesh and Jarrod Clowery (who's beaten Strickland at least twice lately) are all eligible to play? Is there a BCA list that is newer than October 2002?"

Hey Ken - here is our definition of Pro:

Pro Player is defined as: Any Player listed by the BCA as a Pro, any player having competed on any Pro Tour as a Pro, or any player having received money in any Pro Pool Event. A Player entering our Series that falls under the above criteria - will be disqualifed.

So, if those you mentioned apply to this definition, then they are not eligible to compete. We developed this series especially for the "everyday" or average player.

Tom

bluewolf
08-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Are you still using a one or two game match format? I asked you that on another forum and never saw an answer.

Laura

Ken
08-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Tom,
I will assume they are all elegible unless a long time ago Rodney was winning money on the Camel tour. I don't consider UPA sanctioned events to be part of a "Pro Tour" even though Charlie has anointed them with the title of "Touring Professional".

It sounds like a great series of events. I will look to see if I can get to one on my next trip south.
KenCT

tomcoleman
08-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Laura -

Both Tournaments are double elimination. 8-Ball is a single game - and 9-Ball is a "best of 3" set.

8 Player bracket per Qualifier.

Ken -

As long as the player hasn't ever won any money in any Pro Event, or participating on a Pro Tour, or isn't listed as a Pro by the BCA - then the player would be eligible.

Hope this helps. Give me a buzz if you are around a Regional or the Grand Championship.

Tom

eg8r
08-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Oh Ken, there you go telling stories again. Orlando does not have any beach front property. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Steve Lipsky
08-04-2003, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tomcoleman:</font><hr> We developed this series especially for the "everyday" or average player.

Tom

<hr /></blockquote>

Tom, if this is so, you might as well rescind eligibility for all the BCA "Masters" as well. And the better BCA "Opens" too, although I haven't a clue as to how you'd do that.

The problem with these "no pros allowed" tournaments is that you've got a crew of maybe 100-200 killers out there with no pro card, if you will. Look at the top 16 players every year in Valley Forge and the whole BCA Masters field. These are anything but your "average, everyday players".

The race to 1 8-ball format (if I am reading that correctly) will definitely not appeal to the top amateurs, though, so that may hinder their numbers. Still, these "no pro" tournaments all end with the same result - the winner's circle is invariably filled with all the monsters who somehow slipped under the radar.

- Steve

Drake
08-07-2003, 10:40 AM
This is just my luck. I live in Savannah, Ga....YEAH!! I'm no monster player. I played in the Derby City Classic and got lucky and placed in the money. The Derby is about 70 percent amateurs with a format of race to 7 with one buy back option. I got very lucky and played great....therefore, I can't play in the Super Pool Challenge. If it wasn't for bad luck...I wouldn't have any luck at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Drake
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
This is just my luck. I live in Savannah, Ga....YEAH!! I'm no monster player. I played in the Derby City Classic and got lucky and placed in the money. The Derby is about 70 percent amateurs with a format of race to 7 with one buy back option. I got very lucky and played great....therefore, I can't play in the Super Pool Challenge in my own home town. If it wasn't for bad luck...I wouldn't have any luck at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
08-07-2003, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> Does this mean that Rodney Morris, Ronnie Alcano, Ryan McCreesh and Jarrod Clowery (who's beaten Strickland at least twice lately) are all eligible to play? Is there a BCA list that is newer than October 2002?

It seems to me there hasn't been a "pro pool event" in years except maybe for the Challenge of Champions. Maybe all the UPA events are now "pro" events by fiat of the Little Dictator. There could be a lot of players who wish they hadn't signed those contracts making them instant "Touring Professionals".
KenCT

<hr /></blockquote>

If this is really going to happen, then the word "Pro" is going to have to be defined very distinctly and without any sort of vagueness.

I wonder if that can be done? What constitutes a Professional or a Pro event?

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
08-07-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
.......Still, these "no pro" tournaments all end with the same result - the winner's circle is invariably filled with all the monsters who somehow slipped under the radar.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I can think of many so-called amatuers right off the top of my head who are killers. Henry Brodt, Scott Tollefson. John Abruzzo, Stan Torangeau, those guys are supposed non-pros aren't they?

Awfully hard to define a pro sounds like.

Eric.
08-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Ritchie Idrovo, John Binion, Jason Kirkwood, Norm Wines, Jesse Bowman, etc, [insert your local killer here], Amar Kang... Hell, Alex the Lion was a "VNEA Master Player" about 3 years ago! Isn't he playing better than just about everyone right now?

Eric &gt;Tony Chohan, Eric Durbin, Barry Emerson, Brandon Ashcraft...

JohnBarton
08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
The Derby City Classic is not a "pro" event. It is an open event that anyone can enter who has the entry fee.

In my opinion a "pro" event is one in which the participants have to be professionals to play in. In other words only recognized/registered pros are eligible.

I think that the "pro" definition needs a little work. What a tournament series like this does is leave it open to be robbed by the great hustlers who know they won't have to face the champions.

John

Barbara
08-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Would you call some of the "Non-Pro" players we're talking about "shortstops" or just guys that are holding back for whatever reason?

Barbara

tomcoleman
08-07-2003, 07:20 PM
If a player has won money in a Tournament Event that can be verified, or they are listed on the BCA website as a "pro" or "master" player, then they are not eligible to compete in the Super Pool Challenge.

Super Pool Challenge is developed for the "everyday" or "average" player. there are plent of Tournaments for the cream' of the crop. We wanted to be different on purpose.

BUT - we are putting together a Tournament Series that will be open to ALL players. So, should a player participate, then they will know that they should be prepared to face the BEST competition. I'll announce info as soon as it comes available.

So, Drake - I'm sorry, but yes you are ineligible for the Super Pool Challenge. But - you will be the FIRST player I contact for the "advanced" Series.

Thanks - Tom Coleman

Keith McCready
08-07-2003, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tomcoleman:</font><hr>you will be the FIRST player I contact for the "advanced" Series

Thanks - Tom Coleman <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AndyG
08-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi, Sid and Rackemup,
I suppose I could spring for a couple of beers for visiting Texicans. Sid has had a reserved table for quite some time now.

Just don't come the 2nd week in Sept. We're putting down new carpet, which means all the tables have to be moved twice, then recovered and releveled. We're adding smoke-eaters at the same time, so Sept is going to be a hectic month for me. Just kidding of course. I'd be glad to see you guys anytime.
AndyG

Perk
08-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Wow...having played Binion/Kirwood/Porky before....They definately are super players....but, they wont slip under the radar...go to any large tourney with a calcutta, and "Everyone knows" they are there. As far as being able to play as a "non-pro", it definately shows a weak point in pool.

Everywhere you go, there will always be champions lurking that are not known as pros. IMO, the idea behind this tourney is a good one, but I dont think it should be sold as a NOPROS allowed.

&lt;--thinks I know a way that the top dawg amatuers wouldnt show up.....First Prize=trophy No money....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
08-08-2003, 07:52 AM
That's a good question /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Besides Derek Jeter, I guess a 'shortstop' is any killer that hasn't cashed deep in a major tourney. It's o.k. if pool is his primary source of income. It's also o.k. if he has beaten champion, after champion, sometimes more than once(i.e. Clowery over Strickland twice, Clowery over Deuel).

So to answer your question, Barbie, unless we're talkin Baseball-WHO THE HELL KNOWS /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

Drake
08-08-2003, 05:47 PM
I had the pleasure of speaking to Tom for about an hour last night. It was really great to hear somebody very excited about promoting pool and big plans. He came across as being very honest. He came straight to the point when I asked about the percentage of payout. The payout will be 66 percent of all the entry fees. I know that sounds like a sucky deal...but he is being honest up front and there are no green fees or any tour cards or any other hidden fees. It's nice to deal with somebody who is so up front. The only negative thing I could say about him is that he is not a pool player. He has a designated board of advisors that helps him with pool part of the equation.
Anyway, He called me to say that I would not be elgible to play in this series because I had received money at Derby. He quickly said that he would have a series for the Johnny Archer's and me........I couldn't stop laughing. This is the first time I've ever heard my name used by Johnny's. Tom said Tommy Kennedy is on his Pool advisory board.....That will be a great combination. This series has a lot of potential to become a great thing. I've been on the CCB for 3 years now..... I felt kind of obligated and excited to post about The Super Pool Challenge. I'll keep you posted.......Drake

Voodoo Daddy
08-08-2003, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Ritchie Idrovo, John Binion, Jason Kirkwood, Norm Wines, Jesse Bowman, etc, [insert your local killer here], Amar Kang... Hell, Alex the Lion was a "VNEA Master Player" about 3 years ago! Isn't he playing better than just about everyone right now?

Eric &gt;Tony Chohan, Eric Durbin, Barry Emerson, Brandon Ashcraft... <hr /></blockquote>

My man Eric...Triple Secret Pool Detective...I love it!!

tomcoleman
08-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the kind reply Todd - it was a pleasure speaking with you as well.

The Super Pool Challenge has launched our Tournament Series for the "everyday" player and I wanted you to know we are putting a lot of thought into the "advanced" series.

We are thinking of making the participation fee for the advanced Series $100 and holding the Series in 16 major Cities / Regionals nationwide. 4 Qualifying Tournaments per city, with 16 players maximum per qualifier, the top 2 finishing players and 2 wild card players (players participating in the qualifier chosen randomly) from each Qualifying Tournament will advance to their Regional Championship. The Regional would thus have a field of 16.

The Champion of the Regional + one wild card player would advance to the Grand Championship. The Championship would have a field of 32 players. SuperChallenges.com would provide the 32 players an expense paid trip to the Grand Championship, Air/Hotel and most meals. Plus one heck of an after party! The Grand Championship would be held in Atlanta, Georgia - so if the player didn't need to fly, they would be awarded a $250 trip allowance.

We would increase the Prize money to $58,500, to be split the following way:

1st - $15,000
2nd - $7,500
3rd/4th - $5,000
5th - 8th - $2,500
9th - 16th - $1,000
17th - 32nd - $500

Here are the 16 Cities/Regionals we have in mind:

Orlando, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia
Charlotte, North Carolina
Memphis, Tennessee
Dallas, Texas
Houston, Texas
Los Angles, California
Las Vegas, Nevada
Chicago, Illinois
New York, New York
Baltimore, Maryland
Kansas City, Missouri
Cincinatti, Ohio
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Detroit, Michigan

Are these good? If not - why? Please recommend your city?

This Tournament would be OPEN to any male or female player - Pros, Masters, Semi-Pro and Amateurs are eligible, with an exception: If a player is listed on the BCA website in the "Professional" category, or has won over $10,000 in pool tournaments in the previous year, then that player will have to spot their opponent 2 games in each match they compete. We will use an "alternating break" format.

In the Qualifiers, Regionals and Grand Championship it will be a race to 5 - double elimination Tournament in all rounds - except for the Championship Round, which will be a race to 7 (player from losers bracket will have to win 2 races to 7 before the winner bracket player wins one race to 7).

The shorter races and alternating breaks will give everyone a chance - and a Tournament where "everyone" has a chance should have a GREAT turnout.

Each Qualifier, Regional and Grand Championship would be run by a BCA certified Referee following BCA Rules.

What do you think?

Tom Coleman

email: Tom@SuperChallenges.com