PDA

View Full Version : Cue Repair Lathe

sledhamrbrk
08-03-2003, 01:36 PM
I am looking to buy a used cue lathe. Porper, CueMan,Unique Products.

If anyone here knows of someone who has one I would like
to buy one...Preferably before I run out of money.

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2003, 02:06 PM
I don't know to what extent you are going in cue repair, but Harbor Freight periodically sells their lathe for the mid 300s. That seems pretty sweet to me, wish I'd seen this before getting the Willard tool, oh well...sid

Popcorn
08-03-2003, 05:06 PM
You may want to look around for a real lathe rather then something like those sold as cue lathes. No knock on them, but you are paying a lot of money for a very limited machine. Check out something like the bargain trader
http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/
In fact there are a few in your area. If you stay on the lookout you never know what you may get. I just bought a South bend 10L (nick named The heavy 10), For $600. just this week. It has a 1 3/8 spindle bore and is ideal for cue work. If you are interested in cue work, always be on the lookout for this model lathe by South bend and buy one if you get the chance, only the 10L with the oversized spindle bore. Not many lathes this small with this size bore, it is practically made for the cuemaker. Parts are available like crazy for this lathe. The one I just bought comes with so much junk I will recover much of the cost selling the stuff I have no need for on ebay. The point is, get a real lathe if you are serious about it, something you can actually do something with. Take a look at this guys web site
http://www.mermac.com/
You will find a lot of info on checking out and buying a lathe. By the way in checking with South bend I learned the lathe I just bought was delivered on Feb. 9, 1944. It runs perfect I would rather have this great old quality built lathe before one of those Chinese pieces of junk they sell everywhere. I just turned down a Jet 12x36 for $1000. I would not even want to own it. I can't wait to get my new lathe I am picking it up this week. I now have a Sheldon 13x48 inch, an Atlas 10x36 inch, two South bend 9x36 inch. and now a South bend heavy 10L. along with a couple of wood lathes.

SpiderMan
08-03-2003, 07:18 PM
From that story, I'd guess you are in the tool-glutted northeast or maybe California near some of the defense industries. The only way you'd get that lathe in Dallas, in good condition and tooled, for even twice what you paid, would be if it had been sitting in the rain for a year! I'm so freaking jealous .... I drove 1300 miles round-trip to pick up a nice pre-war 10" Atlas for $700 in St Louis.

SpiderMan

Rod
08-03-2003, 08:10 PM
I see one for sale on Ebay. It's listed as a SOUTH BEND HEAVY 10" x 24" ENGINE LATHE with a 2 1/4" spindle. I imagine that is OD. Is that what you have? Price is 2 grand, ships from Detroit. At 1250 lbs, freight could be a little high!

Popcorn
08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Yes the 2 1/4 is the 10L with the big bore. It would be a good lathe to have but if it is the only lathe you want to buy you need at least 36 between centers. The thing is old 9x36 South bends and Atlas lathes are easy to find, so you can set them up with a taper jig for cutting shafts and butts and use the other lathe for repairs, part making, or what ever. The more lathes you have the more dedicated jobs you can set them up for. You need at least one lathe that can accept a cue through the head stock. The thing is, in the shop you are always doing stuff, making parts and tools and so on. That is why you really need a real lathe and not a Porper. I buy birds eye maple by the board and cut it up myself. I tear the pieces into dowles on my big Sheldon in just a few minutes. I don't even know if you do it at all on one of those cue lathes they sell. Or if I feel like machining some stainless steel or what ever I can do it. Too many goofy half assed set ups on those cue lathes and they are very limited. I don't even think it would even be much fun. END, they are not cheap. Don't get the idea from all the stuff I have I like to spend money, I love a good deal and I like machinery. I have three band saws. Two vertical and one horizontal. One of the saws I have is a 50s vintage Craftsmen when they build nice stuff. I bought it for $15.00 at a garage sale, Unbelievable. After a good clean up and some fine tuning, what a piece of machinery. It tears down 1 1/2 maple boards like it is butter. The horizontal is an import, but I only paid $10.00 for it, again garage sale, with no motor. I have motors laying all over the place so I fixed it up and this thing will cue a 4x6 block of solid steel, pretty good tool for an import.. Back to the lathe on ebay, $2000 s a little high, not that it is not worth it if the lathe is nice. Unless I really needed it I would not want to pay that much. Last week a guy in Orlando had a 10L on ebay for $1500. that did not sell. It looked pretty nice on a heave stand with a lot of tooling. If you look on ebay almost any part of a lathe will sell. I think you could part out a lathe and get more for it then a running tool sometimes.
Here is a few pictures of my favorite lathe a Sheldon. Notice the inboard and outboard chucks. Could use some paint, maybe one of these days.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2549764&uid=1340894&members=1

Popcorn
08-03-2003, 11:34 PM
I am in Florida, but that is not a bad thing. If a place goes out of business there is not a lot of people looking for the machinery. Every body here is retired and the only industry is tourism. You know that Atlas you can still get parts for. I just got a half nut, for my Atlas, it is good to have an extra, with no problem. I have it set up to turn shafts.

SpiderMan
08-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Scott Logan, who hangs out on the metalworking newsgroup, sent me some good information regarding spares (should I ever need them).

SpiderMan

sledhamrbrk
08-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up buying a whole set-up that was used by an a guy who starting making cues in the 60's.

As you can imagine over that time span he had aquired a plentiful amount of this,thats,and the others.

I am glad I bought this lathe as opposed to one of the cue repair lathes,due that I was freinds with this guy before he passed away,and he was the first cue-maker in central IL.So I feel I have captured a bit of cue history.

I have an incredible amount of related items to sort through and determine if it's junk or gem.I beleive I have a couple gems in some of the old cues that were included in the whole mess.

Popcorn
08-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Who was he if I may ask and what kind of lathes did you end up geting? Sounds pretty good.

sledhamrbrk
08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Cal Hedden was his name.The lathe is an Craftsman\Atlas lathe. It has a 40 + inch bed, taper bar and all the goodies for doing tapers.Not too bad of a set-up.

In all the junk & gems ,I found 4 titlist helmstetter cues that Herman would have done and a few other cues worth a fair amount.