PDA

View Full Version : With all of this talk about...(long but that should be no surprise)

rackmup
08-03-2003, 02:07 PM
..."slumps" and "zones", it made me wonder, "How do I know if I'm in one or the other?"

And the ever reoccurring questions about the APA, the BCA and all the other sanctioning bodies, league formats, which is better?, worse? and the like, I again asked myself, "Which is best for me?"

And last, the non-stop discussion about which is the "best" game: 9-ball, 8-ball, 14:1 or 1-pocket.

I have come up with a formula for determining once and for all whether I am in a slump, zone, the best league, the best tournaments, the best game, etc.

And it's not that simple:

Let's say you are a 9-baller and your best friend is a 1-pocket player. You get together and play some 9-ball and man, is he struggling! He can't make a ball unless it happens to set up for a cross-side bank into a pocket that he continually refers to as "his hole."

You are beating him badly. Does this mean you in the "zone" or is he in a "slump?" Is the best game 9-ball or one-hole? You see, it's all relative.

Same scenario but the "non-nineballer" is beating you at your game. Now...who's in the "zone" and who's in a "slump?" He can't be in the zone because he doesn't have a 9-ball zone and you cannot be in a slump because you are not a 1-holer. It's just too darned confusing.

Let's move onto the league and the APA:

You're a s/l-2 and your opponent is an s/l-7. You need two wins to his/her 7. Your opponent wins the lag, the coin toss or gets the ball through the clown's mouth (whichever method your region uses to determine the breaker) and breaks the rack. The 8-ball slams into the right side pocket and the cueball falls into the corner pocket. How sad, they lose. You did nothing but hey! You won!

Next break (yours) the eightball rolls right up to the corner pocket, defying gravity but still remaining on the table bed and blocked squarely by what will become your opponent's ball. You miss your next shot and your opponent runs down to his last ball...the one next to the eight!

In a moment of foolish bravado, he tries to clear his ball but pockets the eight instead. He loses again. You have just "beat" a SKILL LEVEL 7! Are you elated? Do you go to work the next day, bragging about "stomping" one of the league's best? If "yes", then the APA is the best league for you.

Which game is the best?

Let's assume you are in the FBI's Witness Protection Program. 9-ball is the best game for you. It moves fast, you aren't sitting in one vulnerable position for very long and the games don't last into the wee hours of the morning, allowing you to remain safely on the move.

Now, let's assume you have no life. You aren't in a hurry to go anywhere. Your favorite hobby is watching paint dry and counting how many drops of water drip from a leaky faucet in a 24-hour period. If this describes you, you my friend are destined to play one-hole.

In what format playing what game with which friend on what size table in what type setting and in what frame of mind you are in is what determines the formula. You want the answer? Okay...get a #2 pencil, a blank piece of paper and write this down. I will give you the formula and the answer.

I'm certain the more seasoned players already know the answer so this will really be of benefit only to the "newbies."

Ready?

Game + Mindset = Mood x Play Format frequency with which you look forward to playing in said format = Perceived Value of your pool night out x wins or losses = FUN

(G) + <ms> = /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif x (APA/BCA) P-F = SUM TOTAL x W/L = /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is best for you is that which you enjoy the most.

Makes sense, huh? Bluewolf...are you getting this down?

Regards,

Ken (I have to explain work this way to my Sales Staff)

Nightstalker
08-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Great post Ken. Words cannot begin to describe the joy it gave me reading it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
08-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Got it, Ken. Great post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Kato
08-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ken, you re-liquified my brain again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato~~~watching 8 Legged Freaks, maybe that is what liquified my brain? Maybe I'm just brainless to begin with?

rackmup
08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>you re-liquified my brain...<hr /></blockquote>

On the nights of August 19-22nd, we can both get re-liquified at Breaker's.

I am in the process of memorizing every post submitted to this forum so that I can recite them to you one-by-one as we play.

Woofing is going up a notch and will now border on torture.

Regards,

Ken