PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Falcon break/jump cue

dmgwalsh
08-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Anybody have any experience using these? How are they for breaking? jumping? Thanks

RedHell
08-07-2003, 11:07 AM
The Falcon FAL-15 is the one I tried. My friend owns one. It is a good all around cue. I think replacing the tip with one of the xtra hard type like the bunjee or other would be key to increase it's performance. I find it a little on the heavy side for jumping, but you can get a full ball jump out of this cue at about 10 inches from the ob.

I don't see any particular characteristic for breaking, just a solid sturdy cue.

All around I think it's a good buy !

dmgwalsh
08-08-2003, 05:28 AM
I got the AC-15 on Ebay and am waiting for delivery. It's only 18.5 ounces. I don't yet know what kind of tip it has. I've never even attempted a jump shot yet. Just started up playing agin. Don't recall anyone jumping back in the 70's. Anyway what type of tip would be best for both jumping and breaking? Thanks.

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Bakelite or phenolic, in that order. Your problem will be that both are reletively pricey($20 full retail), plus they both take a professional to install due to the need to trim the hard material in a lathe. You won't need another one for your cue's lifetime though! I tried both, and the bakelite material jumps circles outta everything else...sid

dmgwalsh
08-08-2003, 08:37 AM
where can I buy bakelite or phenolic tips?

bolo
08-08-2003, 10:39 AM
I bought mine off ebay, one guy has them on there all the time. I think I paid $10.00 for three phenolic tips and they are fantastic. I don't know about backelite, I think they may be mis using the term. A tip made from actual Bakelite would probably shatter when you hit the ball. My guess is it is just another phenolic and they wanted use an exotic name so they are calling them bakelite. I don't know how a tip could work better then the one I have, jumps with almost no effort at all. I have the same tip on my break cue as well, so I would say they would be very good for a jump/break cue.
The thing with your post is there are many kinds of phenolics. Paper, linen, glass, canvas and multiple grade of each. Combined with different resins such as Melamine and a lot with no name just a number that are trade secrets. Then you have sheet goods as well as rod stock and that can be rolled or stripped so you can see how using the word phenolic and indicting phenolic made tips with one sweeping statement is meaningless. I believe the ones made from layered paper sheet goods are by far the best. I also think there is a lot more to producing these tips then just cutting up some phenolic rod and calling them tips as some cuemakers do. As far as the Bakelite goes, I don't really know what to say, Bakelite, even if it is still being produced somewhere, is I believe a celluloid plastic. As far as I know it has not been produced since the early 50s, since there are much better products now. If used as a cue tip if it did not just break right away it would probably put a mark on the cueball on every shot.

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Wow I didn't know phenolic came in so many flavors. The phenolic tip I tried was a solid, dark grey/charcoal color with no imbedded particles or added material whatsoever,,,I looked at it with a microscope. The supposedly bakelite tip(purchased through Lucasi in a round-about way) was a brownish color and it appears to have what may be fibers throughout, polishes to a nice deep redish brown. I had given up on the Stealth(yea old subject to those who know me)even with the phenolic tip. Once I bought the twenty dollar Lucasi replacement, that darn jumper leapt like a champion! I won't argue that it could very well be a phenolic variation, but the stateside Lucasi distributor told me it was bakelite.

So you say that the phenolic tips you got off of Ebay are fantastic jumping tips? I may gamble and try one on my break stick. Thanks,,,sid

bolo
08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
I was just about to delete my post because I thought my comments may have been a but too strong, I don't want to be offensive. We do all want to arive at some kind of truth though, and a little brainstorming helps. After I saw you had responded I left it on, but I hope my comments are taken the way they were meant.

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2003, 03:34 PM
"but I hope my comments are taken the way they were meant."

Not even close friend. If there was anything you said which somebody might construe as "testy" in the least, I totally missed it. I enjoyed the chance to discover that all phenolic is not all the same...sid

WesK
08-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I glad that the subject of phenolic tips came up since I was wondering how legal they were.

The BCA rules state:

"The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed."

It does not require "leather or synthetic leather" like it used to but it still requires the tip to be "fibrous or pliable".

The phenolic tips that I have are anything but pliable. If they are truly phenolic then the should be some kind of fibrous material (linen, cotton, paper, etc.) in a binding resin of some sort, right? So does that make them legal?

So is it stretching the rules to say that these are legal?

Personally, I love them. But, I don't want to find out later that they are illegal. I have installed one and am about to install another and I would sure hate to have to take them off or have the guys who use the get accused of cheating.

Thanks,

wes

bolo
08-08-2003, 06:33 PM
I wanted to make comment about jump cues and tips. I hear a few makers talking about how you an put english on the ball with the jump shot. That is in my opinion the last thing you want to do. The object of the jump is to 1. get over the obstructing ball. 2. make contact with the object ball. This can be right in the face or a piece of the ball as you may try to cut it in or hit a piece of it and come back down table for a safe and so on. The last thing you want the cue ball doing, is to have english on it when it comes back down on the table. It will cause the cue ball to swerve not getting the hit you want on the object ball and in some cases miss the object ball all together. It is not easy to make a perfect hit on the cue ball when doing a jump shot and a tip that magnifies any error in the hit I don't think is desirable. I want the cue ball to go straight to where I am aiming. I want a tip that slips off the cue ball just short of a miss-cue. If you watch even the pros, I doubt you will see any jump a ball and draw the cue ball back in a real game. It can be done, but in 99.9% of the shots, a good contact with the object ball is the most important intention. You don't want anything that can cause you to put accidental english on the cueball when jumping. Just my opinion.

Koenig
08-10-2003, 03:58 PM
I think on some shots, far more than 0.01% you need just a tad of english not to be in a mess after the shot. But if you canīt controll it - donīt use it.

Love to get running english on an easy jumpshot for position on the next. Not that difficult with the new jumpers if you ask me. MY opinion.