PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open - uh, oh

Karatemom
08-07-2003, 04:44 PM
I just received a cancelation confirmation from the Wellsley Suites. I didn't cancel my reservation, but they did due to flood damage in the area and don't expect to reopen until at least October. So if anyone here has reserved a room at the Wellsley, you had better make other plans. You can call the Wellsley at 1-800-444-8888 and let them know.

HTH,

Heide ~ now staying at the Holiday Inn instead

rackmup
08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote karatemom:</font><hr> now staying at the Holiday Inn instead

<hr /></blockquote>

If it's a Holiday Inn "Express", you can wake up as a Professional Pool Player and compete in the Open.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Ken

Karatemom
08-07-2003, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote karatemom:</font><hr> now staying at the Holiday Inn instead

<hr /></blockquote>

If it's a Holiday Inn "Express", you can wake up as a Professional Pool Player and compete in the Open.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>
I like that thought!

Heide ~ can always dream

Barbara
08-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Well I don't know about that! I slept in a Holiday Express and I'm not a Professional Pool PLayer.

Okay, well maybe it was on our way to a cruise.

So does that make me a Professional Cruiser??

Barbara~~~I gotta know this before Saturday...

Keith McCready
08-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks for update. Just made reservations at Holiday Inn-Chesapeake Beach, and they only have 6 rooms left for 9/14 through 9/21 at pool player rates, 83 bucks per night.

Earthquake

WesK
08-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

wes

BillPorter
08-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks, Karetemom &amp; Keith. I also just got a room at the Holiday Inn. The Wellesley Inn never informed me that they are closed. The person at the Holiday Inn confirmed that the Wellesley had water damage and would be closed. The Holiday Inn still has several rooms available.

SPetty
08-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi Karatemom,

I really like that you made your Holiday Inn reservations before telling the others! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Gotta take care of the CassMan for us!

Tell the boys I said "Howdy"!

Karatemom
08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm not waiting until there are no rooms available and end up sleeping on a park bench, LOL. I'm actually quite surprised that they had any rooms left at all.

Heide

9 Ball Girl
08-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn, King Size room at the government rate of $63 a night! Ah, Kato is always welcome to bunk up with me. There's plenty of room for him and his Omen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy~~~37 days and counting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
08-08-2003, 06:10 AM
The Omen sleeps on the bed, I sleep on the floor. These are my new sleeping arrangements. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

WesK
08-08-2003, 06:12 AM
As it should be.

SacTownTommy
08-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Wendy,
Are you going to be there all week? if so.. PM me.. please

Tom_In_Cincy
08-08-2003, 11:18 AM
9BallGirl..

Don't pay any attention to that bum.. SacTownTommy is just trying to start some trouble..

But, I will be needing a room to crash in for a nite or two.. LOL

Ross
08-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Likewise, Heidi, thanks for the warning. Just booked at the Holiday Inn at the US Open rate of $83.

BTW, what day and time is the CCB tourney? Also are there any plans for a CCB dinner get-together on Thursday or Friday night?

Karatemom
08-08-2003, 12:56 PM
When: September 20, 2003
Time: 10 AM we start warming up
Where: Virginia Beach, VA (poolroom to be announced)
Who: CCBers
Why: Why not?!

I don't know anything about a CCB dinner on Thursday or Friday, but sounds like a great idea. Why don't you head it up? LOL

Heide ~ plans on spending a lot of time with fellow CCB'ers

Ross
08-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks Heidi for the info. I, duh, hadn't looked at the other thread...

Now for the CCB Dinner part. I agree to head this up, but I need some suggestions for a restaurant near the convention center that has good food, good atmosphere, reasonable prices, and can accommodate a party of 20+. Suggestions, anyone?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-08-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>....There's plenty of room for him and his Omen...... <hr /></blockquote>

And then one time, at band camp...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
08-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey Ross, of course we're gonna get together and go take over a resturaunt somewhere. Hopefully go back to that steakhouse that lets me cook my own cow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~likes cows dead but not really cooked.

9 Ball Girl
08-08-2003, 02:33 PM
A troublesome guy, eh. That's okay, I like them bad boys. Just ask Naz!

Wendy~~~sent SacTownTommy a PM

9 Ball Girl
08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm assuming that we're all going to go to dinner on that Friday the 19th at the same restaurant we went to last year. It would be Friday because the bulk of the CCBers come in on that day for the weekend. I forgot the name of the joint but I do remember:

1. Kato cooking his own steak
2. Me walking to the salad bar with my purse (yeah, you can tell I'm from NY)
3. Cathy (Mrs. Rich R.) and the Shot Boot glass
4. Lester getting lost
5. Eric and Carolyn walking in right about when we were done eating
6. The hospitable waitress (it must be a southern thing, I swear!)
7. Sitting next to Kato (teehee). This time I'll keep my hands on the table...Just kidding!!!
8. And best of all, Mike and Wes (2 great guys!)

Wendy~~~can't wait!

WesK
08-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Exactly...

WesK
08-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Lester didn't exactly got lost, he went exactly where MikeM and I sent him.

Unfortunately for Lester, we didn't know it was a chain and we sent him to the wrong one. We sent him like 20 miles away and the place turned out to be like only a mile in the other direction. Oops.

wes

JoePickens
08-08-2003, 09:12 PM
I didn't plan on attending, BUT gee, I always wondered what it would be like to sleep in a room with government rates!!!

Ross
08-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Wendy and Kato, I wasn't trying to take over! If you recommend the steakhouse you went to last year that would be fine with me.

But Wendy, when you talk about the place "we went to last year" I'm not sure that you realize that several of us CCB'ers who would have liked to attend weren't included "in the loop" about what was happening. So my only goal was to make sure that all CCB'ers who want to come know the plan this year and also feel free to give input as to their druthers and/or ideas. I also think that if the plans are known well ahead of time, we will have a significant larger group, so advance reservations will have to be made.

I mean you "pooh-bahs" are great and all but you aren't ALL of CCB...really... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif (Of course none of this precludes private meetings of the grand pooh-bahs complete with secret pooh-bah handshakes and pooh-bah decoder rings and other things I have no knowledge of...)

Kato
08-09-2003, 05:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>I mean you "pooh-bahs" are great and all but you aren't ALL of CCB...really... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif (Of course none of this precludes private meetings of the grand pooh-bahs complete with secret pooh-bah handshakes and pooh-bah decoder rings and other things I have no knowledge of...) <hr /></blockquote>

Well Duh Ross /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~doesn't remember the name of the steakhouse, someone call Brady.

WaltVA
08-09-2003, 06:09 AM
Kato - Pretty sure you guys wound up at The Grate Steak; they specialize in the "cook your own" thing. I think the closest one is on Lynnhaven Parkway in Va. Beach; phone is (757) 313-7833. Enjoy!

Walt in VA

Rich R.
08-09-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> If you recommend the steakhouse you went to last year that would be fine with me.<hr /></blockquote>
Ross, the steakhouse was good and it filled the most important need, it was close to the convention center. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It was only minutes away.

As for everyone knowing, IIRC the dinner was discussed on the CCB for quite a while, before the open. Although location plans were not set until the last minute, in fact the location was changed, we all did meet in the lobby of the Holiday Inn, as planned ahead of time.

For some of us, that was our first meeting. So it would have been difficult to pass the word inside the convention center. Also, there were some who chose not to attend. Hopefully, this year, we can get a few more people together and have a good time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
08-09-2003, 08:29 AM
I reserved 2 rooms at the Holiday Inn this morning. That probably means there is about 2 rooms left.

You guys are probably right about the steakhouse though. It was terrific. We basically got our own room and our own bar. Not bad indeed.

Kato

WesK
08-09-2003, 09:33 AM
I believe that you are correct.

The one we when to was in Greenbriar Mall I think.

wes

Rich R.
08-09-2003, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WesK:</font><hr> I believe that you are correct.

The one we when to was in Greenbriar Mall I think.

wes <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know which place it was, I just followed the leader. I do remember it was just a 2 to 3 minute drive from the Holiday Inn. That was a real plus. I hate to waste time driving in circles in strange places.
We had a great time at dinner and didn't waste any time, getting back to the Open.

WesK
08-09-2003, 09:51 AM
2 or 3 minutes unless you were Lester.

Anyway, it was the Grate Steak (757)366-5677 in the Greenbrier Mall. 1020 Eden Way North, Chesapeake, VA 23320

Here is a link to restaurant near the Conference Center:

Hotel and Restaurants (http://www.chesapeakeconference.com/hotels.html)

I hope this helps.

Karatemom
08-09-2003, 10:23 AM
I almost feel sorry for the Holiday Inn, having to deal with all of us for about a week. I realize they'll enjoy the income, but I can already hear the ruckus! Staying up til all hours of the night, telling the maids "No, we're still sleeping". LOL

Lucky for us, we're all night owls here, including Spike. He'd never go to bed if he could.

Heide ~ a week and a month away from the time of our lives

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Heide..

If you think the CCB members will be a problem.. you're in for a treat. The HI patrons during the US Open are only sleeping durning the hours inbetween matches. Matches start at 10am most days, and thin out by Friday and on Saturday, its in the late afternoon..

Sleep? plenty of time for sleep during the winter..

9 Ball Girl
08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Sleep? What the hell is that?

Wendy~~~becomes a walking zombie in September... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
08-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Last year i went to the pool celebrity roast and ate some ruber chicken. This year i am definately going to the steak house with you guys. Should be alot more fun. And i won't have to listen to someone's dirty mouth..........mike

Kato
08-09-2003, 06:37 PM
We're actually pretty calm in the hotel. By the time we get back most of us are dragging and just looking for a shower and a warm bed. Of course, that wasn't really the case traveling with Voodoo last year. Most of the time we were so delerious we just spent entire evenings laughing, cracking one liners, and making fun of people then laughing some more.

Sleep? Yeah, I heard of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~probably slept 10 hours in 6 days.

WesK
08-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Most excellent!

Lester
08-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Hey Ross, don't like MikeM pick the restaurant. He'll pick one with two restaurants in the area, and if you tick him off, he sends you to the other one. ha ha ***Lester***

MikeM
08-11-2003, 06:49 AM
That's a good lesson for everyone -- Don't tick me off!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MM...confirmed at the HI and ready to party!

Ross
08-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info Rich, Wendy, WesK, Kato, Lester, and WaltVA. I guess I just missed the postings on the final dinner plans last year. My bad. I did look though. I even went to one of the Kinko's in Chesapeake on Friday morning to check for any last minute postings. When I didn't see any, and then heard the next day about how great the dinner was, I admit I was a bit p.o.'d and disappointed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif &lt;- me, last year

Anyway, The Grate Steak sounds, ah, err, ..., "grate!" Would it be pushing it to agree to a time?

And Lester, it sounds like you owe MikeM a return "favor." I'm sure you can think of something! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
08-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Grate Steak
1020 Eden Way North
Chesapeake, VA 23320
757-366-5677

Hey Ross,

I like the idea of setting a time and meeting place. Last year, I missed the boat too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Anyone willing to step up and play "Julie, Cruise Director"?

Eric &gt;always a day late, dollar short

Karatemom
08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
I will step up and play Julie, your beautiful and friendly cruise director, LOL.

I've got the name and the address, now what time is good, early afternoon, late evening, Friday? Well, let's hear what everyone thinks.

Heide ~ can't hardly wait

MikeM
08-11-2003, 11:28 AM
I humbly suggest an early dinner Friday night between 5 and 6 to allow ample time for food and fun and to get us back for the evening matches.

Don't ask me for directions!

Mike

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> I humbly suggest an early dinner Friday night between 5 and 6 to allow ample time for food and fun and to get us back for the evening matches.

Don't ask me for directions!

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

What time do matches start? 7:00?

5:30 is ok by me. I'm coming in Friday. I can be there by that time.

Wally

Eric.
08-11-2003, 11:51 AM
K-mom,

Last year the deal was to meet in the front lobby of the Holiday Inn @ 5.00PM and dinner at 5.30. Seemed to work well for everybody but me and Ross!

Eric &gt;always late

SPetty
08-11-2003, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> I will step up and play Julie, your beautiful and friendly cruise director, LOL. <hr /></blockquote>No offense to Eric., but I truly believe you will make a more beautiful "Julie, your cruise director" for the folks going to VA than Eric. did for us in Vegas. However, in spite of Eric.'s reputation, you're going to have to work hard to be more friendly than Eric. was while he played "Julie, your cruise director" for us in Vegas.

SPetty~~~got to sit by "Julie" during the BCA finals of Corr kicking Fisher and Souquet beating Bustamante! Those of you who know either of us can spot us in the audience of both of those televised matches! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
08-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I agree, SPetty. But the ONLY reason Heide would make a prettier "Julie" is because of my mustache /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric &gt;well, maybe not the only reason

Kato
08-11-2003, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> I humbly <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't know you knew what that word meant Mike?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Kato

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Last year we all met in the lobby of the Holiday Inn at 6PM. Once everyone was there, we drove to the Restaurant (don't follow Mike!), and I don't remember if we had a reservation but we wound up with our own little room. A good time was definitely had by all. We were seated right away and I'd say we were done maybe 1.5 - 2 hours later. We were at the convention center in time for the evening matches.