PDA

View Full Version : taking all your own stuff to the hall?

snook
08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
what do you all think about taking your own cue ball, or set of balls, and other what nots to your pool hall. my local hall has really really crappy balls and i have considered many times taking my own aramiths? how weird do you think it would look?

Fast Eddie NSU
08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
It may seem weird to some, but hey if they let you, who cares

Hopster
08-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Theres a guy who comes to the room i go to and brings his own balls. I dont see why as the house balls are good. But then again, this guy gets a wet cloth and goes over the entire table before he begins, then he wipes his own balls off < Sounds funny> before he throws them out.
If you want to do it, do it. The hell with what anyone thinks. When they start paying your table time for you, then worry what they think.

Nightstalker
08-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Go for it.

SacTownTommy
08-07-2003, 11:18 PM
It would be prudent to have a chat with the room owner to see if it would be acceptable.

Other than that, go for it..

pooldaddy9
08-08-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> what do you all think about taking your own cue ball, or set of balls, and other what nots to your pool hall. my local hall has really really crappy balls and i have considered many times taking my own aramiths? how weird do you think it would look? <hr /></blockquote>

I know how you feel. Take them with you.The places around here here don't know how to take care of their equipment. I feel like taking my table with me sometimes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

griffith_d
08-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Look at it this way,...you bring your own cue, you bring your own chalk, your own powder,...I even see some bring there own cue holder so DA's won't knock their cue over,...why should the PA manager care? Some places you have to go up to the front to get a set of balls instead of them being on the table,...I say bring your best to your game,...that is what it's all about.

Griff

Koenig
08-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Hopster: could be me if I was living in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hate those bad contacts and dirty tables.

Rod
08-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Snook,

I just noticed your post, pretty observant eh? Sometimes I take in my own balls. I'll guarantee you most balls in poolrooms are well worn. I take mine in if I'm going to play 14-1 or 1P. Usually just for 14-1 because worn balls don't rack well. Add to that, sometimes the balls at the room are not all that clean. Man I hate to have a nice break shot and the balls don't spread. I do not play 9 ball or 8 ball for that matter with my balls. I will not subject them to a hard break or abuse.

If they or anyone ask why, I tell them their balls are worn and dirty, don't spread well etc. I could prove the worn out part if I took in my calipers but rarely does anyone question that part.

Rod

griffith_d
08-10-2003, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> if I took in my calipers Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

Are these calipers, digital or analog?

Griff

Rod
08-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Analog with a dial indicator. What do you need measured? LOL

Fred Agnir
08-11-2003, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> if I took in my calipers Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Huh?

Fred &lt;~~~ never heard of analog calipers

(Note: I see some sites selling non-digital calipers as "analog" calipers. This is technically incorrect, but hey, if that's what they want to call them, who I am to object?)

griffith_d
08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> if I took in my calipers Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Huh?

Fred &lt;~~~ never heard of analog calipers

(Note: I see some sites selling non-digital calipers as "analog" calipers. This is technically incorrect, but hey, if that's what they want to call them, who I am to object?) <hr /></blockquote>

Basically, any instrument, whether it is a clock, speedometer, caliper, that has "hands" is considered to be an analog gauge,.. http://www.coburnco.com/display/router.asp?docid=93

But, you can call them anything you want,.....lol

Griff

Chris in NC
08-11-2003, 12:19 PM
As a room owner who tries to keep top of the line equipment for our customers, I wouldn't mind if a customer brought in their own balls or cue ball. However, for tournament play in here, all players are required to use our balls.

What does bother me is the player that brings and uses their own chalk (other than blue), as it marks up our tables and requires us to do a thorough brushing of the table when they are finished. I feel the same way about talc or hand chalk - as it makes a mess of the tables.

As for a customer that starts wiping down the table with a wet cloth, now that's going a bit too far. I'm amazed that Earl Strickland is allowed to get away with doing just that before a tournament match on a table. It changes the playing conditions of the table to his liking - which should absolutely NOT be permitted!

From the standpoint of a player, I feel that when I go to another room it is not at all appropriate and in fact downright disrespectful (to the proprietor) not to use the equipment that they provide. The only exception is new master blue chalk - which I keep with me in my case. - Chris in NC

SPetty
08-11-2003, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> What does bother me is the player that brings and uses their own chalk (other than blue)

From the standpoint of a player, ... new master blue chalk - which I keep with me in my case.<hr /></blockquote>hahaha - classic, Chris. As an owner, you dislike it when players bring their own (albeit non-blue) chalk. As a player, you wouldn't be caught dead without your own personal new (albeit blue) chalk! hahaha Gotta love it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2003, 02:52 PM
You'd hate me then. Everyone knows I'm there by the tan skid marks on the table left from my tan chalk. Funny thing though, after an hour or more, I don't notice the contrasting color difference at all. My preference is the tan colored chalk, partly because of it's neutral effects on my shaft wood, and also cuz I've found it to be great for hitting the CB..sid

Chris in NC
08-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Susan, my point is that if I go to a room with beige or burgundy clothed tables (or any cloth color other than green or blue), I then would not use my blue master chalk our of respect for the mess it would make.

I stronly feel that player etiquette (not only towards your opponent but towards the equipment, the proprietor, players on other tables, etc. is something that sadly has not been passed down from the older players to the newer generation of players - particularly recreational players. They simply don't know better! - Chris in NC

SPetty
08-11-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> They simply don't know better! <hr /></blockquote>That's simply all it is, Chris. So many pool players get so upset with so many other inconsiderate pool players, when all it is is that they haven't yet been taught.

Although I fully appreciate that it is difficult to do sometimes. I am still thought of as "Monk" (as in the TV show about an obsessive-compulsive phobic guy) by a league teammate for suggesting that it's proper etiquette to put the chalk face up on the table! Even after the explanation getting chalk dust all over your hands, your clothes, your cue. Sometimes they just don't get it, but that can't stop us from trying!

griffith_d
08-11-2003, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You'd hate me then. Everyone knows I'm there by the tan skid marks on the table left from my tan chalk. Funny thing though, after an hour or more, I don't notice the contrasting color difference at all. My preference is the tan colored chalk, partly because of it's neutral effects on my shaft wood, and also cuz I've found it to be great for hitting the CB..sid <hr /></blockquote>

I am a tan chalk person too,...I hate the discoloration of using blue or green chalk on the cue and tip.

Griff

JohnBarton
08-11-2003, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> snip

snip

As for a customer that starts wiping down the table with a wet cloth, now that's going a bit too far. I'm amazed that Earl Strickland is allowed to get away with doing just that before a tournament match on a table. It changes the playing conditions of the table to his liking - which should absolutely NOT be permitted!

John - If the table is wiped down with a damp cloth it will be dry in a matter of minutes. This only make the playing conditions better for anyone using that table. It should be MORE of a practice in the USA to clean tables better and more often. In Taiwan the tables and balls are cleaned after every use so that each customer gets clean tables and balls.

From the standpoint of a player, I feel that when I go to another room it is not at all appropriate and in fact downright disrespectful (to the proprietor) not to use the equipment that they provide. The only exception is new master blue chalk - which I keep with me in my case. - Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

John - As long as the renter is not harming the equipment i.e. table in any way I see no disrespect in using different balls, chalk, bridges etc... What I find disrectful is room owners who don't clean their tables well, ALLOW their patrons to put the chalk open-end down on the table rail, have unlevel tables and worn-out, frayed or torn cloth, don't teach their staff how to be pool-courteous and worst of all - who design their rooms so that play is guaranteed to be interrupted constantly by obstructions or traffic. I played in a room once where the owners actually BUILT decorative walls that crowded the tables - now THAT :-)) was disrespectful.

Congrats for providing good equipment.

John

Rod
08-11-2003, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From the standpoint of a player, I feel that when I go to another room it is not at all appropriate and in fact downright disrespectful (to the proprietor) not to use the equipment that they provide. The only exception is new master blue chalk - which I keep with me in my case. - Chris in NC
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

From the standpoint of a customer/player, I don't mean to be disrespectful when I bring in my own balls. In fact if anyone is disrespectful, it's the owner or their employee, when they hand me sub-standard equipment. Its not just me but they can give that stuff to the bangers if they choose. That especially holds true if I want to play 14-1 or maybe one hole.

Lets throw in the fact that it's a corporation in at least two states. Does that change the rules? I don't think there is any hard and fast rules here. Whether it started as a single proprietor, to a one-owner chain, or a corporation. If they have junk for balls and don't take care or replace their equipment, they need to be sent a message.

Chalk, It makes little difference to me if it's used, new, blue, green, as long as it's a good brand. I prefer Masters. I have a couple of pieces in my case that hasnít seen daylight for a real long time. Worn out balls make it difficult to play, not chalk or a specific color. If the tables are junk then I won't even be in there.

Rod

pooltchr
08-12-2003, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>
I stronly feel that player etiquette (not only towards your opponent but towards the equipment, the proprietor, players on other tables, etc. is something that sadly has not been passed down from the older players to the newer generation of players - particularly recreational players. They simply don't know better! - Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, You are right on the money on that one. Too many new players have no idea about etiquette toward other players or equipment. There are tons of books on the market about how to play pool, and none of them give more than a passing nod (if that) toward the subject. How are new players supposed to learn? Room owners could post something in the rooms, but how many people would read it? As for your comments about respecting the equipment, you are unfortunately one of the rare owners that actually does maintain the equipment. The majority of rooms I go into have worn cloth, warped house cues with little or no tip left on them, dirty chipped balls and a host of other problems. I have actually played on tables where you could see the white line in the cloth where the slate had shifted. You should see the strange rolls a ball takes across that seam. It's a catch-22. If more room owners took pride in maintaining the equipment, this subject wouldn't even come up. If more players respected the equipment, maybe more owners would keep good equipment out there. Maybe we should get together and write a book!
Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2003, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ..... I am still thought of as "Monk" (as in the TV show about an obsessive-compulsive phobic guy) by a league teammate for suggesting that it's proper etiquette to put the chalk face up on the table! ......<hr /></blockquote>

hee hee

I feel your pain my friend.

This probably should go under a pool etiquette thread but get this, my girlfriend gets mad at me when I hand the cue ball to my opponent after I foul. She says "let them pick it up because if they bump an object ball with it then it's a foul on them" I say "You've been playing with the APA women too long". They try to win with the rulebook, not the cue. Sheesh