PDA

View Full Version : Learning to focus same as Learning to shoot?

04-04-2002, 03:09 AM
I dunno about you guys but I have really been finding that my concentration levels have been going way up, I can last longer into a match without letting up and I can stay into that race to 7 for all 7 games alot more consistant than I used to be able to instead of my normal 5 or 6. I'm just curious if any of the more advanced or even intermediate players out there think that learing to focus grows on you just the same as if you are learning to play and you are gradually getting better with time... or is concentration more of a gift that some people just have over others. plz give me your thoughts

04-04-2002, 03:26 AM
I'll tell you one thing downtown I have gotten to the point where I really feel that I can make any ball on the table or that I can get any position I want, but all it comes down to is concentration. When I can concentrate I can run racks, when I dont concentrate all hell breaks loose and nothing will go in the pocket. I think for most people concentration is just like learning to play. The more you do it the better you get at it. And there are little tricks to doing it better just like there are little tricks on different shots. Now if I could just figure out how to get that deep level of concentration all the time I would be able to play well all the time and not just part of the time. Shawn

04-04-2002, 03:31 AM
That's pretty much how I feel... I think I understand the CB very well.... I ust wish it would listen :O)

dave
04-04-2002, 10:31 AM
It is my understanding that "concentration" and "focus" have two slightly different meanings. Focus is the ability to give your full attention to the present moment or "staying in the moment". Concentration is the process of clearing or emptying your mind, eliminating internal or external distractions, in order to achieve the goal of focus.

04-04-2002, 11:06 AM
well in this instance I intend for them to be taken as the same thing but thanks for the lesson

04-04-2002, 11:28 AM
I think concentration and the ability to "quiet" your mind is key. I try to let go and get into a relaxed mind/high level of focus. JMO

Eric >seen too many Kung Fu episodes

04-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Actually I just looked it up on websters site:

Focus: a point of concentration

concentration; direction of attention to a single object

sounds the samd to me??/

dave
04-04-2002, 01:28 PM
I interpret those definitions to be saying the same thing as I stated only in different words. One is the process (concentration/direction) and the other is the objective (focus/point) of that process.

JimS
04-04-2002, 01:34 PM
I believe that concentration or focus, since you are using them synonymously, are learned skills, just like the ability to pot balls and control whitey.

Both the physical and mental skills must be improved to achieve overall improvement in one's game.

Concentrate to attain "focus".

04-04-2002, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr>is concentration more of a gift that some people just have over others. plz give me your thoughts <hr></blockquote>

interesting turn on an old question.

for me, and i suspect for others, it's rather situational. seems to be about the same thing as "give a darn". if i'm in a match that matters and i honestly believe i'm capable of winning then i'm pretty good at maintaining focus.

what i'm looking for and seem to be moving closer to, is the ability to play something like my best game without having to focus much. i think of it as "bad day play". i've got to be able to take down the competition even if it's a bad day for me. the way it looks to me is that the more i play and the better i get then the more likely i am to just drift into the zone and put racks away without really trying. focusing and concentrating sound like "hard work" words to me and i doubt many people can depend on trying that hard day after day.

at league a couple of nights ago i started with a rack-n-run and ended with a break-n-run but never felt like i was focusing much in either. just kinda cruisin.

dan

dave
04-04-2002, 01:54 PM
"focusing and concentrating sound like "hard work" words to me and i doubt many people can depend on trying that hard day after day."

That's what's so misunderstood about the concept of concentration. As Eric's post stated, concentration is about "letting go", not trying hard or working hard. When you described your relaxed attitude about your approach to the game, THAT was a pretty good description of what concentration is and should be.

04-04-2002, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: dave:</font><hr> "focusing and concentrating sound like "hard work" words to me and i doubt many people can depend on trying that hard day after day."

That's what's so misunderstood about the concept of concentration. As Eric's post stated, concentration is about "letting go", not trying hard or working hard. When you described your relaxed attitude about your approach to the game, THAT was a pretty good description of what concentration is and should be. <hr></blockquote>

well, i assumed the original question was based upon an understanding of the english language. which it was.

oxford american: concentrate 1. to employ all one's thought or attention or effort on something.

you may have a good point to make there but tellin me i don't know the meaning of words ain't gunna fly. mayhaps you need to come up with a new word to describe what you are fumbling with. maybe "glinzit". i don't think that one's being used /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

dan

dave
04-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Dan, I certainly did not intend to imply or suggest that you did not understand the meaning of any of the words discussed. If that it how my post came across then I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. I am simply trying to expand on the definition of concentration as it applies to pool, not offend or patronize.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-04-2002, 03:13 PM
When I use my pre-shot routine, I am "concentrating" on what I am about to do. During this "concentration", my brain is busy diagnosing the table and my options. When my mind is busy with this diagnostic, it is not being distrubed by "outside" or "non-pool" thoughts. Once I have decided what I am about to do, (doing all my thinking standing up) the next step for me is to "focus" on getting down on the cue ball take my warm up strokes (strokes are as close to what speed I want to be striking the cue ball as possible), site the OB and CB alternately, looking at the OB for long shots, and CB for most of the other types of shot.

When I am in this mode of Pre-Shot routine, concentration and focus, my mind is still busy thinking about POOL and only Pool. No outside distractions. I am exactly where I want to be. When I am consistant in following this process and enjoying is when I am performing at my best.

Unfortunately this process is still a work in process. But when I am "on" (not as often as I would like, but more often than not) I really enjoy competing.

Chris Cass
04-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi Dan,
That's a good point. If concentration is focusing then it has to be, left brain. Letting go then, would be right brain. So, it must be the ability to first focus, then go into right brain and relax and just let it happen.

Now that I think about it. I'll be in left brain till, I feel confident I'm focusing. Then when I catch a gear, I'm in right brain. Before I know it, I'm out. Someone will say. Did you know you just put a 4 pack on me? Then, back to the left brain again. What a move.LOL Then, sharking is left brain activity because I don't hear a thing in right.

Funny how someone will free wheel on ya and you can get them to stop by saying something, to bring them back to left brain activity. There rhythm, also increases in the right brain activity and they don't realize it. So, now just to learn what to say to keep them working hard at the match to wear them down.

Great point Dan,
C.C.~~getting ready for Vegas.....lol

04-04-2002, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: dave:</font><hr> Dan, I certainly did not intend to imply or suggest that you did not understand the meaning of any of the words discussed. If that it how my post came across then I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. I am simply trying to expand on the definition of concentration as it applies to pool, not offend or patronize. <hr></blockquote>

not a problem. i've been over at the table shooting spot shots while trying to think what the right word really would be. can't quite find it. probably trying too hard.

expanding on the concept a bit, there is a perfectly good theory that the best thinking occurs without concentration. there are a zillion stories about someone struggling with an idea for a long time then finally coming up with the "eureka!" while doing something totally unrelated.

i do know that i do some of my best problem solving if i also do something fairly mindless at the same time. fiddling with stuff, playing solitare or whatever. it seems to me to be a matter of keeping one part of my mind busy while the other part goes about the business. kinda like cutting down on the static. thinking while driving. that kinda stuff.

we all have heard the "paralysis thru analysis" line and certainly choking on the money ball is a good example of overconcentrating.

i've used this example before but i think it's a good one. remember the movie bull durahm(sp?) and the garters?? sure did get his mind off his pitching problems. want a quick fix for a critical match?? take your shoes off. dare you to try it.

dan

Barbara
04-04-2002, 03:28 PM
If they had ears they'd roll funny...

Barbara

stickman
04-04-2002, 03:45 PM
I don't know about right brain, left brain activities, but I'm certain that relaxation and concentration don't necessarily work hand in hand. There are times when I'm relaxed and stroking well and making good shots, when my mind decides to leave the game. Sometimes I'm not even concious of it when it happens. I think my switch has an intermittent short in it. LOL

Scott Lee
04-04-2002, 07:47 PM
JimS...Right! Pause, set, finish...and it happens like you expect it to! LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
04-04-2002, 07:51 PM
dan...Yeah, that's how I play TOO! LOL...just cruisin'!

Scott