PDA

View Full Version : Pool Etiquette

dooziexx
08-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Last Tuesday on a local 9ball hdcp tourney, I played a match that was an 8-5 race with myself needing to win only 5 games to take the match. Obviously, my opponent was superior to me hence the higher handicap. Anyways I went on to win the match 5-0 and when we shook hands, I said "Good Match" which is something that I always say regardless if I win or lose. Then this guy got totally furious at me for saying that thinking that I was insulting him. He went on to say that I need to learn the proper pool etiqutte. I told him that I was trying to be nice and that what I said was not meant to be an insult. But he refused to listen to me and we went on to a shouting match for the next 2-3 minutes with him cussing and wanting me to play him for a $100 a rack to prove that hes is better than me.

Finally I was so pissed that I told him that if I ever played against him again that I would not say a single word to him and I just turned around and left. I could understand that he would be pissed if I was being loud and showboating but thats not the kind of player I am. I take my shots and when Im not on the table, Im on the chair focused on the match at hand.

So what are your thoughts. Was it wrong for me to have said that or should he learn how to lose like a gentleman. BTW, I went on to win the entire tourney.

SacTownTommy
08-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Shaking hands is all that is necessary. Adding a comment like "Good Match" was just inviting trouble. Losers (I know from experience) don't always like to be friendly after losing. It's part of the competition scene.

You didn't do anything wrong IMO.... good win..

Scott Lee
08-07-2003, 11:18 PM
dooziexx...I do the same thing as you do. However, it's pretty easy to see how he would get upset at hearing you say, "Good match!"...most especially after he didn't win a single game against you (and he is the highly favored player, both in terms of the league, and in his own mind).
Consequently, he must have been off his game (or you just played way above your normal speed), and felt like you saying that was a 'slap' to his ego. He was out of line, for sure...but you might consider, for the future, if that happens again, just walk up smiling, shake his hand, and turn around and walk away! He probably would still not have been mollified, after his own poor performance...but he'd have no ammunition to make any comment to you either!
Seems like the better some poolplayers get, the more fragile their egos! LOL Congrats on your fine playing! See you soon!

Scott Lee

stick8
08-07-2003, 11:20 PM
You just shot his liver out, he will get over it.you hurt his pride. he needs to take angery mag class. nice shooting keep going!!!1

pooltchr
08-08-2003, 05:51 AM
In a situation like that, I might be more inclined to say something like "Man, you sure got some bad rolls on that one." It's kinda like saying "I know you usually are much better than the match shows"
JMHO Steve

WesK
08-08-2003, 06:11 AM
SacTownTommy?

OK.

...it's going to take some getting used to.

wes

pooldaddy9
08-08-2003, 06:34 AM
No,you did the right thing. He's just a sore loser and had he won, he would probably have rubbed it in.
Gongrats on the win. Now you will have to spot them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

holls
08-08-2003, 07:33 AM
dozzie... first congrats on a good showing. No matter what happened last night, you should be proud of your win. In terms of proper etiquette, there's no hard and fast rule, but it is good sportsmanship to always shake hands after the match. If I win, I always allow my opponent to take the lead. I let them approach me to shake my hand and if they say anything, then and only then do I respond if it is worth responding to. Now I never say anything during the hand shake, especially if my opponent is fuming. As you see it can lead to an argument or sore feelings or worse. It's best to let the other person cool off and then let them approach you if they want to talk about the match. By taking this approach, I've become rather good friends w/many of those I've beaten and have come to learn alot from them. Just a suggestion...

JohnnyP
08-08-2003, 08:51 AM
I mutter when I'm shooting. Usually to say stuff like "Just make the ball, John", or "Look at that. Where's the cueball going?"

I also congratulate myself, when I cut a ball in, or put a nice stroke on the CB.

Maybe that's why I like watching Vivian. (I can't whistle, though).

When my opponent is shooting, I'll say "Good shot", or silently tap the cue on the carpet.

Fran Crimi
08-08-2003, 09:29 AM
That end-of-match stuff is tricky.

I think proper etiquette is for the loser to make the first move. If they extend their hand and don't say anything, I'll shake it but I won't say anything either because it's obvious they don't feel like talking.

If they don't extend their hand after losing badly, then I won't either but I'll store it away in my memory as them being a sore loser. Depending on the situation, I may extend my hand first if it's a hill-hill match.

If I was the loser and the winner came over to me after wiping me out, and extended his hand and said good match, I wouldn't say anything but I'd think, "what a jerk."

Fran

JohnnyP
08-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Fran: I think it's just reflexive to try to say something nice. Don't take it as a slice, unless it's clear that they mean it that way.

Barbara
08-08-2003, 09:41 AM
What???

No hugging????

Barbara~~~~doh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
08-08-2003, 10:09 AM
I totally agree with you, but as the winner it's always better to be safe and not assume the loser is going to interpret your intentions the way you mean them. I'm being perfectly honest. It's no fun losing, and it takes all of your inner strength just to keep your mouth shut when the winner says something to you that you're not too happy about hearing.

If you've ever lost badly, you know what that feels like.

Fran

Nightstalker
08-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Yeah, when I beat someone that badly I usually just say, "Damn, you SUCK!" Haha, just kidding! I will normally say good game regardless of how I won, and if they get upset then they get upset. I think you were fine, the guy was just upset because he was off and you were on.

A game I played about 3 weeks ago was interesting. The guy was drunk and getting pissed off during the entire game after every shot he missed, he would also sit in his chair and curse after I made shots which he left for me. After I won I knew he might be upset, but I shook his hand and said, "Better luck next time, huh?" He became enraged and tried to push me, so I grabbed his arm and threw him face first into the wall. By the time he turned around there were bouncers all over him, and one of them turned to me and said I should leave. I took my cue apart, stuck it in my case and left. I assume they held him for a moment then let him leave, a smart move since if he had been let go first he may have tried to come after me again in the parking lot.

dmgwalsh
08-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Doozie- this is Dennis, the guy who bought the viking from you several months ago.

First of all congrats on yor win. Was this in Naperville or where?

Sounds like the other guy was way out of line, but like everybody says, some people take losing bad and the best bet would be to tread lighly.

I actually entered a tournament at 152nd and LaGrange last night for the first time. Since no one knew me, they said I had to play as a 10 1/2 whatever the hell that means. First match I was against Sumo, an 8 1/2. I needed 9 and he needed seven to win. I was lucky and beat him nine to five. The next guy was a 7 1/2 , he needed 6 and I needed ten. He won the first three, I came back, but he beat me 6 to my 8. Anyway, they were both cordial, in defeat and victory.

I see Scott Lee said he'd see you soon. He's giving me another lesson on September 3. Are you meetig up with him this trip?

I played pool with John Armellino in Flossmoor who had a cue by an Alaskan cuemaker. Didn't you have two by an Alaskan?

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I'll talk to you later. DW

Scott Lee
08-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Dennis...Yes, Erik is meeting with me! I think the Alaska cuemaker you're talking about is Mike Bender. John also has a beautiful Lambros cue (Lambros is from Baltimore).
See you soon!

Scott Lee

dooziexx
08-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi Dennis,
I play at the Green Room over in Downers Grove. They hold 2 9ball tourneys a week, one on Tuesday and Wednesday. The wednesday tourney is for handicap 7 and lower while the Tuesday tourney is open. Lots of good players show up on Tuesday. You should stop by a check it out as the prize $$ is pretty good. 1st place is usually over $200.

I have 3 Mike Bender cues. 1 is my shooting cue and the other 2 are sneaky petes. I believe that Thomas Wayne also make cues out of Alaska but I could be wrong. Whats the name of the pool hall at 152nd and LaGrange?

Talk to you later.

dmgwalsh
08-09-2003, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr>
Whats the name of the pool hall at 152nd and LaGrange?
<hr /></blockquote>
Erik: It's called Pro-Tyme Classic Billiards. Lot of youngsters, but it's close to home and I'm sure there's plenty of players better than me that I can learn from.

When are you seeing Scott Lee? At your house? Have you taken lessons from him before?

dooziexx
08-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Dennis: Scott Lee is scheduled to work with me on Monday 9/1 at my house. Im really looking forward to it. This will be my first time taking lessons from anyone. Is Pro-Tyme right across the street from Orland Park Mall?? Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com so we can chat further...