PDA

View Full Version : Disallusion About Team Practice Sessions

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2003, 08:24 AM
I have played local leagues of every kind over the past several years, and one thing that bugs me about so-called team get togethers for practice is, we don't practice. All that happens is that everybody tries to beat everybody else, there's no helpful interactions. If somebody breaks and runs on a guy and the other guy saw nothing but a rack in his hand, they get to sit down and possibly through tough luck or another B&R, they may even see themselves racking and not playing the next time they rotate in. Thing is, you're not adding a thing to the weak points of your team to "practice" like this. I'll blow my own horn a little and say that I personally will pass my rotation to the guy if he just got to nothing but rack. Ya know, most don't!!!sid

Barbara
08-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Yep Sid, been there, seen that with my old bar league. Heck one year I even bought them all a copy of Byrne's first book for Christmas and I doubt they even cracked it open!

The ones that do have a pool table at home just don't do drills at all. All they want to do is bang balls around.

And they wonder how I got to be so good...

Barbara

pooltchr
08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
I put together a new team of beginners in our bar league this session. After the first night, I set up a time to give 2 free hours of instruction to the team. (God knows they needed it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway 2 people showed up, and probably learned absolutely nothing in the session. I learned a big lesson though. Free instruction does nothing for anyone. The students I have that pay for my time also pay attention and try to learn and apply what they learn. Like the old saying, You can lead a horse to water, but they have to want to drink.