PDA

View Full Version : ZBILLIARDS tables on ebay

rjamesh
08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
A company named Zbilliards is selling hundreds of tables on ebay, seemingly at very good prices. The seller rating is 99.5% so no red flag there. I know a name brand tag brings in more $$$ but these prices seem almost too good to be true. Almost all of the feedback has been favorable. I did notice one person who said the slate was cheap but even that person gave a positive feedback overall. When I asked about it in an email, he just said it was like a Yugo vs a BMW, or something to that effect. I don't want something cheap but I'm not looking to throw away money unnecessarily either. A name tag means nothing to me as I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want a good playing table. Anyway, has anyone seen a review of these tables by a reputable source? Thanks.

Scott Lee
08-08-2003, 05:07 PM
As far as I know, these tables are manufactured in China. They use lesser quality materials, including pressboard and thinner slate, to be able to sell them as cheaply as they do. Most players choose to go with a better made product, but the ones you're talking about probably will play fine for the average person.

Scott Lee

Nightstalker
08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
But none of us here are "average" people are we? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rjamesh
08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Scott, thanks for the reply. No offense intended but you may be thinking about another company. Yes, they are imported but the slate is 1" and hardwood is used extensively, if not exclusively.

griffith_d
08-08-2003, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rjamesh:</font><hr> A company named Zbilliards is selling hundreds of tables on ebay, seemingly at very good prices. The seller rating is 99.5% so no red flag there. I know a name brand tag brings in more $$$ but these prices seem almost too good to be true. Almost all of the feedback has been favorable. I did notice one person who said the slate was cheap but even that person gave a positive feedback overall. When I asked about it in an email, he just said it was like a Yugo vs a BMW, or something to that effect. I don't want something cheap but I'm not looking to throw away money unnecessarily either. A name tag means nothing to me as I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want a good playing table. Anyway, has anyone seen a review of these tables by a reputable source? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Connelly makes good tables, as does Olhausen and Brunswick for relatively inexpensive prices and playability is good. I know Connelly almost all play the same know matter what the price, save for the cheapest ones.

Shop around and take your time,...stay away from stinkbay.

Griff

ROFL
08-11-2003, 09:39 AM
As vocal as everyone is around here with their distaste for Chinese made equipment, I know I'm going to catch flack for posting this endorsement, albeit a less than glowing one. I bought a ZBilliards table about half a year ago. It isn't perfect, but for the money, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I've noticed 2 negatives. First, the pockets are cheap, and one of my side pockets is bent a little funny, which causes a lot of balls to spit back out onto the table if they are forcefully pocketed. I've had to compensate by hitting gently into that pocket. My second gripe is that the table is not perfectly level in some spots. Slow rolling balls will lean to one side or the other a little bit. This was barely perceptible at first, but seems to have gotten worse over the months. Perhaps this is just normal settling that needs to be compensated for? I also have a worsted cloth installed on my table, which causes any leveling imperfections to be more readily seen. I've never noticed the rolloffs while playing, only when I'm intentionally checking the table for them.

On the positive side, it is indeed a solid wood table, without a single piece of pressboard to be found anywhere. I believe their cheapest line, the Windsor, does have veneered paneling, but no other table does. Even the slate is framed with solid wood, not particle board like some of the big name brands, and the slate is a full 1" thick. I had a local table maker come and setup my ZBilliards table. In addition to selling his own creations, it turns out he sells a line of tables just like the ZBilliards tables, which he gets directly from overseas. From the mouth of a guy who actually builds tables, these Chinese tables are actually quite good. He said the slates aren't ground as well as the Italian or Brazillian slates are, but the difference isn't enough to affect play appreciably. If you're looking for a mass produced table, he felt these were a great buy. For those looking at 7' tables, ZBilliards tables are one of the few out there with 40"x80" playfields. The only other ones I found were bar boxes and Murreys. Most other manufacturers' 7 footers are either 39"x78" or even 38"x76".

Again, for the money, I am very pleased with my purchase. I got a solid wood table, 1" slate with hardwood frames, Gorina Basalt worsted cloth (purchased separately), matching pockets, and a set of Elephant Balls, shipped and professionally installed for $1800 total. I've been having a blast shooting pool ever since.

A word of warning about dealing with Adam at ZBilliards. His 99.5% positive rating is deceptively high. There have been many complaints against him regarding slow shipping, incorrect shipments, defective parts and delayed exchanges, but most of his negative feedbacks have been erased through bribery and SquareTrade. I left a negative feedback after first being shipped the wrong size table, then a table with a missing part. You won't see it in his feedback history though, because he bought me off with a complimentary set of Elephant Balls and I authorized SquareTrade to remove my negative. It felt pretty slimy dealing with him after the negative feedback, as he first claimed he never got my complaint, which was a lie because he had replied to me before, then he said his computer crashed and he lost all his e-mails. His computer must crash every day, because I've heard he's used this excuse on countless other customers. YMMV.

rjamesh
08-11-2003, 06:25 PM
ROFL, thanks much for taking the time to put together that lengthy reply. A few followups:
- CHEAP POCKETS.....Could they not be replaced?
- NOT PERFECTLY LEVEL.....Are you commenting on the overall levelness of the table or are one or more of the slate pieces not perfectly flat?
- MISLEADING FEEDBACK RATING.....I guess I'll deal with the surprises if I go this route.

Thanks again.

ROFL
08-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Sure, the pockets can be replaced. They are standard #6 pockets. About the levelness of the table, it's not a matter of the entire table being on a slant. There are just a couple spots where I see roll offs, and they aren't in the same direction. Whether it's an issue with the slate, the table, the shims used between them, or some combination of the three, I have no idea. Good luck to you!

kmeier
05-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Let me tell you about Adam at zbilliards. He sent me the wrong colored table, but I agreed to keep it because it would cost him a lot to ship the right table and if he would overnight me a felt of my choice that would match the table. Four days later I got the felt. The accessory package was missing, as well as the naugahyde cover, the drywall screws for the legs, and the bolts for the pockets. It took four shipments and eight days to get all my parts in. I left negative feedback with eBay. He retaliated and left negative feedback on me, even though I did nothing wrong. I refused to let Square Trade mediate the removal of the feedback. He has since demanded that I return the original felt by this coming Friday or he would submit my name to collections. I said I would send it via USPS Priority Mail, insured, return receipt and hopefully they would have it to him by then. Later last night, he changed his demand that I overnight it on Tuesday so that he would have it on Wednesday. He further stated that collections would start immediately. Then later last night he said that if it wasn't received by Wednesday, then he would consider it stolen and would contact the police. Even later last night, he stated that he was considering the felt stolen as of now and the police would be contacted immediately. This morning he said he was suing me for harassment and that he was happy it would cost me thousands to defend myself. Now would you buy a table from him?

PQQLK9
05-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks for that report...I would NOT buy anything from that guy.

larrynj1
05-30-2004, 01:12 PM
am i the only one who thinks rjamesh is shilling for zbilliards

highsea
05-30-2004, 03:18 PM
There is a thread on Azb about these tables.

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=5165

-CM

shark
05-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Have you considered buying a used table? You may find a Brunswick, Olhausen or Connelly for about the same price.

gordman
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
What are the main criteria on choosing a pool table (http://360guide.info/pool-table.html)? The model? The price? Color? The market has great offers, you just need to look into them for a second. I can see there are some great tips in here, i find them very helpful.