PDA

View Full Version : Your Preference - 9 Ball or 10 Ball?

tomcoleman
08-08-2003, 06:56 PM
In addition to our Super Pool Challenge - we are developing a Tournament Series that will be OPEN to any player - Amateur, Semi Pro or Pro.

There seems to be a lot of 9-Ball Tournaments, and since we are wanting to be different, we are thinking of a 10-Ball Tournament. What are your opinions?

Also - since we won't have as many Qualifiers per Region (32 in each of 4 Regions) for this Series, and we wish to keep the 1st place prize @ $10,000 the entry fee for this Series will be $50.00! Will Semi-Pro and Pro Players enter?

As always, your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Coleman

www.SuperChallenges.com (http://www.SuperChallenges.com)

Nightstalker
08-08-2003, 07:33 PM
9 ball, of course! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bolo
08-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Stick with what you know works.

nAz
08-08-2003, 09:00 PM
I like to see 10Ball, harder to run out from the break.
Or better yet 3C /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L.S. Dennis
08-09-2003, 10:00 AM
10 ball definetly, much more interesting game.

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Ten ball, played by the local rules here in Dallas, is deplorable when compared to 9-ball. Ten ball reminds me of what you might have if you crossed 9-ball with bar rules...too many imaginative ways to cut up players if you ask me. Stay with 9-ball...sid

jjinfla
08-09-2003, 10:27 AM
What's 10 Ball? Sounds like something Patrick invented. Jake

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> What's 10 Ball? Sounds like something Patrick invented. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

WEI Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

Ten ball is nothing more than adding the 10 ball to a 9 ball rack. Same rules as 9 ball, except the 10 ball is the money ball. The 10 ball is in the middle of the rack as shown below.

Instructions:
Click on the "WEI table" link above, then come back to this post and "copy" everything from "Start" to "End" then go bact to the WEI table and "paste"

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CK7N5%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7O9%GK8M5%HM7N8%I K7Q4%JL8O4
%Pg9V9
)END

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 10:44 AM
"Same rules as 9 ball, except the 10 ball is the money ball."

Not around Dallas it ain't. No intentional safeties, BIH is behind the string, to name two big differences....sid

Nightstalker
08-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Dallas 10 ball rules sound pretty sucky to me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

L.S. Dennis
08-09-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Same rules as 9 ball, except the 10 ball is the money ball."

Not around Dallas it ain't. No intentional safeties, BIH is behind the string, to name two big differences....sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

I've never heard of ten ball being played the way you describe. Let me tell you I wouldn't like that either. Noramlly ten is played where the ten is the money ball using the same rules as nine ball. Played this way I much preferr it. It's a lot tougher and more interesting.

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 11:16 AM
I believe I'd like 10 ball if every rule was the same as nine. I've never known anything different other than local 10 ball rules(I played all of one set in my life and quit), I stand corrected elsewhere, sorry...sid

Rod
08-09-2003, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not around Dallas it ain't. No intentional safeties, BIH is behind the string, to name two big differences....sid

<hr /></blockquote>

Same rules here in a ring game whether it's 9 or 10 ball. No safties, it's an offensive game. No BIH in ring games except behind the line.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Geeze Sid.. there is pool played outside of Dallas...

10 ball (with 9 ball rules) has been around a while.. the pros use to play 10 ball in the Camel Pro tour..

L.S. Dennis
08-09-2003, 11:23 AM
I remember the pros playing ten ball on the Camel Tour. If I remember correctly Allen Hopkins remarked that ten ball should have been started as the main tournament game instead of nine ball, probable too late now to change.

Rod
08-09-2003, 11:54 AM
I am failing to see the difference between there, here or Rantoul Kansas. Is this a ring game? When you play ring nine ball there is no safties, BIH behind the line. It's been that way for decades'. Heads up its the same as 9 ball. There could be slight differences depending on the area or players. For instance spot all balls etc. As long as were all playing by the same rules ------

L.S. Dennis
08-09-2003, 12:12 PM
I've never seen ten ball played as a ring game. It's simply nine ball with one extra ball but much more difficult because of that one extra ball. This is the way the pros played it on tour.

Rod
08-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Yep, it was played on tour exactly the same as 9 ball. I'm supprised you haven't seen ring 10 ball. It's played here a fair amount because too many 9 ball racks are run. It's also a better game for short races.

Rod

Icon of Sin
08-09-2003, 01:25 PM
9-ball is my preference.

9 Ball Slim
08-09-2003, 06:31 PM
9-Ball, and if you put up money, the pros will come...maybe not any one in the top 32, but you might be surprised at who will show up.

Ken
08-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Tom,
If you want to attract the amateurs you need to maximize the luck factor so the amateurs know they have some chance against the pros. That would mean sticking to nine ball and going with alternating break. You might get 5 or 10 pros and some will get mad when they lose early but you might get 500 to 1000 amateurs.

Some seem to prefer taking luck out of the game and rewarding the player's skill by making the game more difficult. That's fine when you have sponsor money and only pros playing. If most of the money is coming from the amateurs' entry fees you have to give everyone a chance.
KenCT

Fran Crimi
08-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi Tom,

When half your field start running out the sets then I think you should probably switch to 10-Ball. Until then, I'd say 9-Ball is just fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best of luck with your tour!

Fran

Ralph S.
08-09-2003, 09:15 PM
9ball all the way!

tomcoleman
08-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the input everyone - keep the ideas coming.

Either way we go we will use the BCA Rules for General Billiards and 9-Ball. If we decide on 10-Ball it will be the same rules as 9, except there will be 10 balls and the 10 will be the money ball.

Ken -

We do plan on having "alternating" breaks. Whether it's 9 or 10 ball the races will be as follows:

In the Qualifiers and Championship it will be a race to 3 - double elimination Tournament in all rounds - except for the Championship Round, which will be a race to 5 (player from losers bracket will have to win 2 races to 5 before the winner bracket player wins one race to 5).

The shorter races and alternating breaks will give everyone a chance - and a Tournament where "everyone" has a chance should have a GREAT turnout.

Thanks - Tom

Sid_Vicious
08-10-2003, 07:43 AM
"Is this a ring game?"

Rod...I admit, 99% of the 10 ball I am witness to is in ring games. The one bout I had playing 10-ball was in a ring game also, so it makes sense that I have not played the game as it is supposed to be played in a heads-up situation. I'm going to though, it may be a great little game with the added ball. sid~~~gonna troll for a heads-up 10 ball game to get the local rule set anchored down