PDA

View Full Version : cue ball stuck to rail

pooljunkie73
08-08-2003, 09:00 PM
The past couple of times i have been shooting, whether practice or tournaments i have the same problem.

It doesn't matter if i have to play 2,3 or 4 rail shape the cue ball always end's up frozen to the rail.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to remedy this problem? I should say any besides hitting it harder or softer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The only good thing about this is that i don't mind straight shot's that are frozen to the rail.I'm just getting sick of shooting them.

Kent Mc.

nAz
08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
practice practice practice

Actually I have the same problem, I live and die on the rails /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
08-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Maybe the table is not level ???

nAz
08-08-2003, 09:22 PM
every table i ever played on? maybe my brain is not leveled.

To be honest i'm taking more time on my shots and being more consious of not leaving the ball there, it seems to work but i still get lazy and fall back on that bad habit.

Chris Cass
08-08-2003, 09:58 PM
My sides are hurting. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I've played on equipment like that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~Hi ya Nick..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi PJ73,

I spent half my life shooting off the rail. I've found that it will help you more in the long run but anyway, when you visualize your shot. Visualize it stoping before or coming off the rail. Your not visualizing the entire shot from start to finish. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-08-2003, 10:45 PM
You might try adjusting your speed to TRY and end up on the rail.... I had a string of scratching in the side pocket after cuting a ball into the corner pockets... I started to see if I could make the cue ball in the side every time.. sounds funny.... but it will help you feel the shot better in the future.

jjinfla
08-09-2003, 06:07 AM
Quote Kent: Does anyone have any tips/tricks to remedy this problem? I should say any besides hitting it harder or softer.
_________-

Sounds like you are looking for some sort of magic pill or Divine intervention. Apparently over the years you have trained your computer (your brain) that that is the way to shoot those shots. Now you realize that you don't like the results you are getting, but you keep doing the same thing expecting different results. There is only one solution stroke harder or softer. You have to retrain your computer. Practice the shots with a target paper. But of course you know all that, you just don't want to exert yourself. LOL Jake

pooljunkie73
08-09-2003, 07:07 AM
It's not that i don't want to " exert " myself, i just knew that stroking harder/softer was the obvious answer.

If you have any of them magic pills let me know? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think i need all the divine intervention i can get. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kent Mc.

pooljunkie73
08-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Hi Chris,

You may be right. When i visualize my shape i only worry about being on the right line for my next shot's. I'll try moving my line off the rail 2 or 3 inches and see if that helps.

Thanks, Kent Mc.

Rod
08-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Yep, like CC said you need to visualize the shot. Believe me
You’re not the only person that has this problem. It's my belief we train ourselves from the very beginning to be straight in. If that happens to be on a rail, well then that's where it is. We want easy shots in the beginning so we don't miss. It's built in to our routine. As we get better we still will fall back on the old routine. Of course in time we realize being straight in or on a rail can be detrimental to position play.

You just need to change your programming. You have to visualize the speed and angle needed coming into a rail to fall into position. Speed into the last rail is the key, or lack of speed to stay off that rail. Remember your mind probably still thinks of having that perfect position. Straight in and on the rail will humble even the best of players.

Just make it a point to retrain you mind. Anyone that's above average can and will leave straight in shots. They add to their pain many times by being frozen to a rail. Just gradually, if necessary, change your thinking. Decide on the speed into the last rail or avoid the rail during your pre-shot visualization. If you don't make a conscious change there, you'll just keep ending up on the rail. Once again, you trained yourself from the beginning to be there.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
08-09-2003, 09:57 AM
I had this problem, still do actually. It was so bad I spent a lot of time practing shooting off the rail. I got pretty good at it too. I treated the symptom and not the disease /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Maybe you should concentrate more on getting toward the center of the table. That's usually not a bad place to be.

Wally~~probably didn't help much /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stick8
08-10-2003, 02:45 PM
just practice from rail,I suggest you roll the ball of the rail rather than trying to shoot it it helps me!!! old man stick

Qtec
08-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Aim for the rail.

Q

pooljunkie73
08-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys,

I have been playing more center table shape. Seem's to working. When i have to use the rails for shape, i use CC's tip of visualizing the cue ball off the rail. It's been working about 70% of the time,i don't mind shooting off the rail the other 30% of the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kent Mc.

Fred Agnir
08-11-2003, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> The past couple of times i have been shooting, whether practice or tournaments i have the same problem.

It doesn't matter if i have to play 2,3 or 4 rail shape the cue ball always end's up frozen to the rail.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to remedy this problem? I should say any besides hitting it harder or softer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The only good thing about this is that i don't mind straight shot's that are frozen to the rail.I'm just getting sick of shooting them.

Kent Mc. <hr /></blockquote>

There isn't a person in the universe that doesn't land on the cushion from time to time. It's the physical nature of the cushion and the little shallow rut that forms next to it.

I guess the best advice is just to be aware of it. But the way cushions are, ending frozen or nearly frozen on them is just one of those things that are part of the game.

Fred