PDA

View Full Version : Pesky New Crick In Shoulder Problem

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Ok, this isn't chronic but it will influence my game on this day off opportunity to play pool. Every once in a while I get up from sleeping and find a twinge in a shoulder blade, you know, one of times pre-empting the onset of a lengthy bout with a skeletal movement limitation, or better known as the nagging crick in the neck/shoulder/back. My question is, what can you do to head it off at the pass, short of muscle relaxers and chiropractor visits. These things inevetibly enter into the fun at the PH, so if there's anything that helps in the earliest hours of knowing that the twinge is there, I'd appreciate knowing what it is....sid

Karatemom
08-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi Sid.

I would imagine any type of pain relieving cream, like Icy Hot, would work. I'm partial to Tiger Balm. I use it on all my aches and pains and it's the only thing that really works for me. Then of course, I've got CC who manages to give me a neck rub in between matches, LOL. You can borrow him if you like, but he has to be home by 10:00! LOL

Heide

rackmup
08-09-2003, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'd appreciate knowing what it is <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

You know I love you like any Grandson would love their Grandfather but I have to be honest...you are just getting "up there" in the years.

It is an unfortunate fact that as we get older, certain parts of our bodies no longer work as they once did. I believe the problem with your shoulder is one that will not go away without a certain degree of difficulty.

A greater concern would be "What part goes next?" While some parts of our body we can do without (take me for instance...I have functioned for nearly 45 years without a brain), others we need on a daily basis.

Take our legs for instance: We can get around okay even if they hurt a little (I'm certain at your advanced stage in life this is the case with you.) Our arms? When they go, we can most often still manage to get that cup of strained pea soup to our mouths. And, how about our backs? Being all hunched over and unable to straighten our spine puts us in a natural position for playing this game we love.

The parts we cannot do well without are our...well...our...er...you know...our "extremity." When that bad boy peters (no pun intended) out, "Aisle 14, Adult Undergarments", here we come! And how do you choose a laxative from the 50 or so that are out their when our digestive system takes a hike?

While most of us would love to help, you really should confer with an expert in "Aging Well" and that would be our very own, OnePocketChamp.

I hope you feel better soon. Remember, most good retirement facilities have a pool table or two.

Regards,

Ken (I really hope this makes him feel better.)

Rod
08-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Sid,

I get those all the time, and my walker doesn't help matters either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll try anything, go outside and hang from a rafter. Hang with hands opposed then facing forward and backwards. Sit in a chair; relax my shoulders, rotate head slowly both directions several times. It's kind of funny there are a lot of strange cracks and pops for a while. Stand up with hands on your hips, stretch your back, it will bow backwards, keep your head level, hold 10 seconds, repeat 10 times. I sometimes will bow my back over the arm of a sofa, putting pressure in the area of discomfort. I got a lot more but the real answer is preventive maintenance, light exercise. There are a lot of exercises for the upper body. If you only spent a few minutes every couple of days most of these problems won't happen.

Being in a static position behind a computer sure doesn't help matters either.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 09:24 AM
"I would imagine any type of pain relieving cream, like Icy Hot, would work"

Problem...the twinge area is almost square between the shoulders(little off to the left), and outta my personal reach. Livin' single does have it's disadvantages to it. I do have creams from the tendonitis(Oh God, Ken's right, I'm falling apart!) but I'd never get it applied by myself, and I somehow figure my friends at the PH just might look at me funny if I asked them for help. What to do, what to do. Suffer as usual :-( sid~~~ain't that bad, YET

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 09:31 AM
"Being all hunched over and unable to straighten our spine puts us in a natural position for playing this game we love."

Oh hell I guess it's getting time to quit running around in 9-ball, accept the cratchety stage of life, take up one pocket, push some balls toward a hole and hope that something will eventually fall in. I was afraid it was coming to this :-O sid

rackmup
08-09-2003, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Father Time Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Oh hell I guess it's getting time to quit running around in 9-ball <hr /></blockquote>

Let's not do anything as drastic as that until we get a second opinion (from someone other than OPC who is hopelessly locked into one-pocket.)

Regards,

Ken (Sid's illegitimate grandson)

caedos
08-10-2003, 08:07 PM
I have a long list of chronic back issues. The one you describe shows up every year or two for me. I've gotten professional massage, and preferably from someone who does trigger-point/Shiatsu... basically, they get tight musculature to release by deep pressure to specific points on a muscle or a nerve path. I've had alot of luck laying on carpeted concrete and slowly kicking my feet over my head to roll my spine from neck to butt. The vertebrae crack and shift quite nicely, and outside of a chiropractic adjustment it's the only way I have to relieve muscle cramps caused by the uneven pressure on nervous tissue in and around the spinal column. Oh wait, there's also the wonderful world of pharmacological stupor. Pain killers mask the issue in the hopes it goes away on its own. Muscle relaxers are only good if by relaxing the muscles things will go back to 'normal' and stay that way. If you can't get to the cause and fix it, start learning to treat it because it could very well be with you the rest of your life. Good luck!

Carl