PDA

View Full Version : Duro Gel Shelf Life

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2003, 09:39 AM
First, is Duro going out of business? Somebody suggested it in another thread. Also, how much faith do you put into a tube you've had open and used for a couple of months, but have not used completely up? Do you trust it, even if it seems a little thicker than when freshly opened? Spiderman worried me a little with an opinion that Duro Gel doesn't shelf all that well, and I'd feel badly if it broke down on one of my customer's tips. I don't want to throw away good adhesive, but it would be cheaper to toss it than to possibly lose a layered tip. Thanks...sid

BillPorter
08-09-2003, 09:58 AM
The only time I recall have a tip fly off a cue was when I used some old Duro Gel that had been openned several months prior. At the time, I thought that maybe the stuff loses some of its adhesive power after a time. Anyway, I threw away the old tube of gel. Wonder if it gets old and loses strength even when the tube hasn't been openned???

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Sid,
For as little as the stuff costs.. I usually buy just one and keep it for maybe a month or so.. if it is thick after that..I chuck it.. and buy a new one...

DuroGel works great, but, IMO if it thickens up, it looses my trust.

Snyder1
08-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Since I posted last week, I've looked at Lowe's & Home Depot for Duro Gel super glue ... neither carries it in my area. Just curious where others have found it ? THx.

J

L.S. Dennis
08-09-2003, 11:17 AM
It's hard to beleive that Home Depot doesn't carry it. I'm sure I've seen there many times. I would immagine that almost any hardware store should have it. Have you tried Ace Hardware?

bolo
08-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Dura is a trademark of the Loctite corp. You can buy another I think it is called "Quick Tite" made by Loctite, it is as best as I can tell the same stuff.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I have bought it at Home Depot. Methinks perhaps the searcher did not search thoroughly enough /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif or not....

Popcorn
08-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Every time you use the glue, squeeze out a dot on a piece of paper and as you pull away the tip see if it is stringy or gooey. If so, squeeze out enough till the tip of the tube will leave a dot of glue with no string. If it won't throw away the glue. The reason is the glue has started to react and although it will cure to a hard state, it will not bond well to the two surfaces to be bonded. As much as 90% of it's bonding power may already be lost. The same with epoxy, it must be used in it's liquid state only. If say a 5 minute epoxy gets a little to thick when mixing, although is may seem to work, a big part of it's ability to bond is already lost. Most glue failures are just from not using them properly and not the fault of the glue. Another thing with epoxy, you "MUST" mix it for a long time to be sure you have a complete mix. With a small amount like one square inch on a mixing card, I mix it for a full minute. Epoxy you buy in two tubes that say equal mix, (1 to 1) have a lot of fillers in them. The reason is, there is no such thing as an equal mix epoxy, it is always, so much resin to so much hardener. What they do is add filler to the hardener tube to make up a 1 to 1 mix. In other words, if the mix is 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener the tube with the hardener will be 50% inert filler that do nothing to help the bond. That way the average person can just guess at equal amounts and mix it together. Here is the problem, it is possible that you don't have a good mix within the tube of hardener and you may get an improper mix when blended with resin. It will work but you will never know the bond is 50% or more less then it should be. It you are working on something like gluing up the butt of a cue, you can't use these pre made epoxy mixes, the bond is too important. You need to buy an epoxy that has a ratio mix, 2 to 1, 3 to 1 or what ever. That way you are using 100% epoxy as well as having complete control over the quality of the mix. I know someone is going to say, "I use Devcon 5 minute and never have a problem it dries full strength" I would say, How do you know? I would not be gluing an Ultra lite together with it and trusting my life to it.

AndyG
08-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Sid, my in-house cue repairman says Duro does have a short shelf life, but it helps to keep it refrigerated. I think it's made by Loc-Tite so I doubt that they're going under.

Someone asked in a later post where to find it. All the Wal-Marts in our area have it.
AndyG

bolo
08-09-2003, 09:32 PM
You can keep it in the freezer for a very long time but not after it has been opened.

PoolFool
08-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Sid, You should try Gorilla Glue (Home Depot). Long shelf life, gives you time to position the tip exactly how you want it, nothing I have tried holds better. To test it, glue a piece of leather to PVC. After 1 hour, attach vice grips to leather and try to remove.
PoolFool

Sid_Vicious
08-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Is it a quick setting bond, and how much total time till playability? It does sound good...sid

Qtec
08-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Man, you know your glue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would suggest super-glue . there are two kinds . The one you want is the gel , the thick one. It does the job, you can play in 10 minutes,but it doesnt last long.

Apply thin , wait till it becomes tacky, and apply pressure for 30 secs. Let the cue stand on its tip for 5 mins , shave and its ready.

Q

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> First, is Duro going out of business? Somebody suggested it in another thread. Also, how much faith do you put into a tube you've had open and used for a couple of months, but have not used completely up? Do you trust it, even if it seems a little thicker than when freshly opened? Spiderman worried me a little with an opinion that Duro Gel doesn't shelf all that well, and I'd feel badly if it broke down on one of my customer's tips. I don't want to throw away good adhesive, but it would be cheaper to toss it than to possibly lose a layered tip. Thanks...sid <hr /></blockquote>Shelf life for a typical cyanoacrylate is over a year, maybe two years un-opened. Once you open it, the shelf life goes down.

It'd be a good study, I suppose. Sounds like you've got the job. If it was me and I was worried about it, I'd buy a new tube every 3 months once I opened it. For a $1.50 or whatever it is, it's a cheap investment.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't really follow his own advice

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Man, you know your glue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would suggest super-glue . there are two kinds . The one you want is the gel , the thick one. It does the job, you can play in 10 minutes,but it doesnt last long.<hr /></blockquote>Could you clarify your sentence "it doesn't last long"? I feel like rebutting.

[ QUOTE ]
Apply thin , wait till it becomes tacky, and apply pressure for 30 secs. Let the cue stand on its tip for 5 mins , shave and its ready.

Q <hr /></blockquote>IMO, this is bad advice. There is no reason to wait until superglue gets tacky. If you wait, you might wait too long and then all you have is a lot of super glue that needs to be taken off. After you put on the super glue, put that tip on immediately and get it into position. You only have a few seconds before it sets so much that you can't move the pieces.

There's also no need to stand the tip or use a tip clamp for super glued tips.

The biggest issue with super glue is to have the surface flat and acclimated. That is, if I had one suggestion to every cue mechanic out there when using a CA glue, I'd tell them to wait a minute after facing off and sanding before adding the CA glue. It may not matter that much for CA, but at least you'd be working towards the best procedure for applying it.

BTW, there are more than two types of super glue. And the term "gel" isn't universal from one glue manufacturer to another.

Fred &lt;~~~ assembly engineer

SpiderMan
08-11-2003, 08:59 AM
To clarify, the short shelf life I mentioned was after opening. As soon as the solvents have a way to escape, the stuff starts changing. What I do is use the first 1/2 of each tube for tip attachment (the critical application), then retire that tube for sidewall treatments and open a new one for attachment. That way, I'm always using a really fresh tube for putting the tips on, yet not wasting any product.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AndyG:</font><hr> Sid, my in-house cue repairman says Duro does have a short shelf life, but it helps to keep it refrigerated. <hr /></blockquote>It helps the shelf life to keep it refrigerated unopened. I would strongly suggest not to refrigerate an opened tube of super glue. Cyanocrylate is a water-curing adhesive. The act of placing super glue in and out of a refrigerated area creates condensation which would be a little too close to the CA for my blood.

However, if you're into storing in the refrigerator, I'd strongly recommend that you allow the container and its contents to warm up gradually to room temperature before opening it.

Fred

hadenball
08-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Sid,
I don't care for the Duro but keep some on hand just in case. What I do use is cyanoacrylate from a local hobby shop in Pensacola sold in 1/2 oz, 1 oz and 2 oz. The first time I bought it I got the 2 oz. and I threw 1/3 of it away about 8 months later so this last time I got 3 - 1/2 oz bottles instead and refrigerated 2 of them.My shop wasn't air condition until recently and I would take the opened one inside the house when I wasnt' using it. There is also another brand called z-10 sold for RC model planes that a friend gave me, probably the same stuff I buy now with a different label. The stuff that Joe Barringer sell's on his site is I'm almost positive the same stuff I buy now, it has the same color caps and label just a diffent name on it.
Hope this helps, Haden

SpiderMan
08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Duro Super Gel is sold at Wal-Mart. The price here in Dallas is about $1.75 for a package of two tubes.

SpiderMan