PDA

View Full Version : Best Drummer of all time...

dg-in-centralpa
08-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Since we covered the guitarists, who do you think are the best drummers. I think the best two are Carl Palmer from Emerson,Lake,and Palmer and Asia, and Neil Peart from Rush. These two are by far the best I've ever seen. If you never heard of Carl Palmer, pick up a copy of the cd "Welcome Back My Friends to the Show that never ends..", phenominal drum solo.

DG - Good Morning America how are ya? Said don't you know me I'm your native son. I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans, I'll be gone 500 Miles 'til the day is done

9 Ball Girl
08-09-2003, 05:32 PM
It's gotta be John Bonham of Led Zeppelin.

nAz
08-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen, pretty good for a guy with one arm.
also Peter Erskine from weather report and Keith Moon

dg-in-centralpa
08-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree, Bonham was good. Shame he died so young.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
08-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Moon wasn't too bad, I agree that Ricky was good for a one armed man. Never listened to Weather Report.

DG

kingarthur
08-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Elvin Jones... without a doubt.

Ralph S.
08-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Here in Ft.Wayne, we had a huge music store called the Percussion Center. They regularly brought in bigtime drummers for clinics. One such clinic I witnessed was this trio: Neil Pert, Alan White, and A.J. Pero. Pero blew them away big!!!!!!!!!!

From my band and playing experiences I can tell you A.J.Pero is the best hands down. After years of the music scene during the 80's<the greatest decade for music> here are my top 10 drummers:

1>A.J. Pero---Twisted Sister/Cities
2>Neil Pert---Rush
3>Randy Castillo--Ozzy Osbourne
4>Frankie Banali---Quiet Riot<this guy is just awesome>
5>Tommy Aldredge--Ozzy Osbourne
6>Kenny Arranoff---Jhon Cougar Melloncamp
7>Keith Moon---The Who
8>John Bonham---Led Zepplin
9>Kelley Keagy---Night Ranger
10>Phil Collins---Genesis

Ralph S.
08-09-2003, 07:41 PM
A quick musicians joke for ya. How do you get a drummer off your door step? Pay him for the pizza. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Drummers...hmmmmmmmm. I might have an opinion or ten;

1}Chris Layton {SRV and Double Trouble}
2}Don Henley {Eagles}
3}Dave Grohl {Nirvana/Foo Fighters}
4}Peter Criss {KISS}
5}Buddy Rich {Jazz Great}
6}Gene Kruppa {Same as Above}
7}Joey {Slipknot, for you over 40's folk thats speed metal}
8}Terry Bozio {Missing Persons/Jeff Beck}
9}Carmine Appice {Beck, Bogart & Appice, OZZY}
10}Ginger Baker {CREAM}

NEXT MUSIC SUBJECT, I'm READY!!!

Fran Crimi
08-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Gene Krupa. Maybe not the best of all time, but maybe the best in the swing era.

Fran

Ralph S.
08-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Voodoo, I must say that is a very respectable list. I just aint sure about the Slipknot drummer. Hasn't really been around long enough to get those accolades yet.JMHO.

Rich R.
08-10-2003, 11:17 AM
In no special order:

Gene Krupa, from the swing era.
Steve Gadd, from variety of jazz and rock groups.
Keith Moon, from the WHO -- died way too young.
Ginger Baker, from Cream.
Carmine Appice, from the Vanila Fudge and other groups.

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Since we covered the guitarists, who do you think are the best drummers. I think the best two are Carl Palmer from Emerson,Lake,and Palmer and Asia, and Neil Peart from Rush. <hr /></blockquote>

Neil Peart. No contest, IMO.

Honorable Mention to:

Phil Collins
Keith Moon
Buddy Rich

Fred &lt;~~~ or Sheila E.

Kato
08-10-2003, 03:08 PM
You like Slipknot? LOL, keep throwing curve balls down south.

Kato~~~thinks Slipknot rocks..........bigtime!!!!!!!!

Candyman
08-10-2003, 05:30 PM
I have to agree with Fran. He may not be the best of all times, but he set the standard in his era. His style and showmanship are still used today. I consider Krupa "the Babe Ruth" of the drummer world.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I agree, Bonham was good. Shame he died so young.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Bonham kept a solid beat. But so did Doug Clifford of CCR /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . That does not make them an exceptional drummer LOL

Apologies to 9 Ball Girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 06:00 AM
I feel somewhat qualified to give my opinion. I played drums (unfortunately about as well as I play pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) for 14 years. Haven't played since 1988 so I'm out of the loop on some of the current or recent crop.

Neil Peart...my fave

As Fred mentioned, before he began singing for Genesis, Phil Collins was one of the best drummers in the world. Check out a band called Brand X that he played with on the side, if you like fusion-jazz-rock (I guess that's what you call it)

Aynsley Dunbar....before Journey acquired Steve Perry and sold out in 1977 they did 3 albums of jazz-rock. Dunbar played on those.

The guy from Chicago was very good (name escapes me) Even though I grew to loathe Chicago they were all great musicians.

Somebody mentioned Alan White of Return to Forever. What a lineup that band put up. Unbelievable.

I'll think of more later.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Gene Krupa. Maybe not the best of all time, but maybe the best in the swing era.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

There's a reason Gene Krupa is the best known of the old jazz drummers. It's because he was the best.

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2003, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Aynsley Dunbar....before Journey acquired Steve Perry and sold out in 1977 they did 3 albums of jazz-rock. Dunbar played on those. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve Smith, the drummer that replaced Dunbar is also a monster. Journey, a band made up of two Santana musicians {Greg Rolle and Neil Schon} were awesome before Perry with Rolle and Dunbar splitting the vocal job. Ross Valerie, a solid bass player rounded them off well before Perry. Rolle bailed because he saw the bands direction head for the "BUBBLE GUM MACHINE" called radio. Johnathan Cain filled his shoes, not well but well enough to make Journey the make-out band of my High-School days...........

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>

....Rolle bailed because he saw the bands direction head for the "BUBBLE GUM MACHINE" called radio....<hr /></blockquote>

LOL

You notice Rolle and Dunbar stuck around for a couple of albums to grab some cash /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When those 5-digit residual checks show up in the mailbox every 3 months they're probably glad they did.

I stayed up late one night in '77 because the local FM station was going to play Journey's new album. On came "When the Lights go down in the cit-tay...." /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was like "WTF?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Hmmm. Would Tito Puente count? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Tito Puente` sure the hell does count Wendy, so does Phil Escovedo {yet another Santana musician} and his daughter Shelia E.!!

SPetty
08-11-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The guy from Chicago was very good (name escapes me) Even though I grew to loathe Chicago they were all great musicians.<hr /></blockquote>Danny Seraphine. I recall that you mentioned Kath in an earlier thread. Chicago was the first and only band that I was ever almost a "fan" of. ( See their web site at http://www.chicagotheband.com )

SPetty~~~I actually did up their logo in wood and entered it in the state fair crafts contest, capturing 2nd place in a field where 1st place wasn't awarded - they said mine looked "too perfect" to be hand made! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Absolutly loved "Chicago Transit Authority". Chicago did few songs I could stomach but "Colour My World" was barable...

Keith Talent
08-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Max Roach and Danny Richmond ...