PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Hit With These Cues?

daviddjmp
08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
I am in the process of decision making and I wanted to know if any of you could share your experiences with the following custom cues:

Capone
Wayne
Dale Perry
Olivier

I have a Schon STL-7 that I like a lot and am lookiing to purchase another cue. All opinions are very much appreciated-

Thanks-

Ralph S.
08-09-2003, 07:18 PM
I've heard positive feedback on the Capones, don't know much about the rest of them.

BillPorter
08-09-2003, 08:40 PM
I have owned a Capone. I didn't fall in love with it as I hoped I would, but they have a great reputation among players. Mika Immonen plays with a Capone. Coincidentally, I just got a Capone in the mail today from an old friend in Dallas who wants me to sell it on eBay for him. If you are interested, I could send you some pics.

Nightstalker
08-09-2003, 10:36 PM
I too have heard good things about the Capone customs.

cacee31
08-10-2003, 09:44 AM
I've played with Capones, DP, and Olivier cues. DPs are really stiff, but their original shafts have a short taper. DPs play reasonably well, but generally have a lower resale value. Olivier cues are good cues. If I have to choose, I would get a Capone. They play really well and the craftsmanship is pretty good. Low deflection with good english and control.

daviddjmp
08-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Bill-

Could you describe the hit and feel of the cue a bit and tell why it just didn't float your boat? Thanks-

BillPorter
08-10-2003, 11:24 AM
The feel and sound of a flat-faced joint cue, like a Capone, is a bit different from the steel-jointed Predator I had been playing with. At the time, I decided I liked playing with the Predator a little better. I was also uncomfortable playing with a cue that cost $1,200. I had never had a cue that cost more than $300 and I found myself worrying about getting nicks or dings in the Capone and lowering its possible resale value. I had a chance to sell mine to a collector about a year after I bought it.

So I really have nothing negative to say about Capone cues. I think the workmanship is exceptional on these cues and most players really like the hit.

Rich R.
08-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Capone makes and outstanding cue. JMHO.

Rod
08-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Itís to bad the cue makers don't get together and establish a standard. By that I mean "shaft taper". The American Cuemakers Association could set a standard for different tapers. I realize there will always be some minor differences in shafts by different makers. Schuler is one that does offer different tapers and explains each one.

What does all of this mean? You can expect a different hit or feel depending on the taper. Once again I realize a tip will play its roll in the feel or hit. Most of us experiment with the least expensive part (the tip) once we find a shaft to our liking.

OK, I know butt construction and the joint has its effect to a small degree, IMO. It is my opinion that the shaft and tip is the heart of a cue however.

What does all this mean? Well when someone says a DP has a stiff hit, what does that tell anyone about the cue? IMO it doesn't mean anything. They may find a 12" pro taper feels stiff, where I think it feels like a limp noodle. We are both right but that doesn't mean it tells anyone anything about the cue without knowledge of the shaft taper.

I just felt like typing something about this because I see this question come up all the time. All we have is opinions from various level players that really donít mean diddle compared to what we like.

Yours was an in general question so you got several replies. Its always nice to know that they are well made with a great finish. We wouldn't want to buy sub standard but these guys all seem to have very good reputations. I would expect everyone to have a great finish. What you really may want to know however is how they play/feel compared to your SchŲn. Has your question been answered?

These guys get paid a lot of money for building a cue. When I see them advertised, you'll rarely find any information on shafts. Yes they say shaft material, tip etc. which is helpful but I never see anything on taper.

Perhaps the best option is just to speak with the maker, if you have any idea of what this means to you. If you don't then I suggest the customer ask the maker for an explanation before the cue is made.

Any opinions are welcome on this rough draft but I felt it needed some attention.

BTW, I have no idea of which cue you should buy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH, Rod

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I am in the process of decision making and I wanted to know if any of you could share your experiences with the following custom cues:

Capone
Wayne
Dale Perry
Olivier

I have a Schon STL-7 that I like a lot and am lookiing to purchase another cue. All opinions are very much appreciated-

Thanks- <hr /></blockquote>Here's my opinion. Dale Perry's picture in the Blue Book looks like his high school yearbook picture. That's what I think about whenever I hear his name.

Anyway, that's all I have to say abou that.

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Schuler is one that does offer different tapers and explains each one.<hr /></blockquote>Yet another reason why Schuler Cues are so cool. Additionally, each one is weighted and marked. Their interchangeability allowed me to experiment with different shaft tapers. They also have a cache of old ones that play just like new ones.

[ QUOTE ]

OK, I know butt construction and the joint has its effect to a small degree, IMO. It is my opinion that the shaft and tip is the heart of a cue however.<hr /></blockquote>IMO, two things that the butt adds to the cue are the final balance and the feel of the grip. I think the Shaft and Tip are definitely the two biggest factors in how a cue "performs."

[ QUOTE ]
I just felt like typing something about this because I see this question come up all the time. All we have is opinions from various level players that really donít mean diddle compared to what we like.<hr /></blockquote>Exactly.

Fred

LC3
08-10-2003, 08:02 PM
I tried a Capone a couple weeks ago and really liked it. The cue was nicely balanced and had a solid hit. It felt completely natural, and I wasn't at all aware of using a new cue. Had it not been priced at twice US retail, I would have bought it.

daviddjmp
08-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks to all, I appreciate the feedback. I gave Mike Capone a call and I also will talk to Rich Chudy, as he lives about 7 miles from me-

UWPoolGod
08-12-2003, 05:25 PM
My friend played with a Chudy sneaky...super solid cue and shaft. I love the look of that cocobolo cue on his one-page picture website. www.rc3cues.com (http://www.rc3cues.com)

Todd

Barbara
08-12-2003, 05:29 PM
I hear that Mike Capone makes an awesome hitting cue!!

Besides that, if Vickie is reading this, she and he owe me a cue for the bag of pecans they got at the last Expo!!

But seriously, Mike does make a great cue!

Barbara~~~okay, so where's that cue.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HalSmith
08-12-2003, 06:25 PM
David, I only know about the Olivier . I have one and love it , I was playing with a Shon which is very nice. Don't know about the others.---Smitty

Vagabond
08-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Cheers
vagabond

daviddjmp
08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Looks like I will get a chance to hit with a Richard Chudy. My team captain in the league has a 3 year old he said is beautiful and hits really hard. He is going to lend it to me for a week. Rich Chudy comes back from vacation next week, so I will be able to talk with him then. I think it is much preferable to work with a local cuemaker rather than to do things via phone. If the Chudy hits well, looks like I will be going that route. Thanks all again-

supercueman
01-25-2005, 08:38 AM
I wanted to say, I have played with Richard Chudy for years and will pick up another at the hopkins show.... Its the best cue for me... I have over 200 custom cues in my collection and I play the best with chudys.

supercueman

Vicki
01-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm reading, I'm reading. I keep reminding him that we owe you big time for that gigantic bag of nuts! I personally feel that no cue could compensate you for your generosity and kindness. (Maybe a Capone Cue comes close)

BTW, We are engaged now. Planning a wedding for this fall.

Thanks for the kind words about Mike's Cues. I realize this may sound a little biased, but I think they are some of the nicest cues in the world. It makes me very happy when so many people have positive things to say about them because I know how hard he works and how much he cares about building a great cue.

Hope you're doing well, Barbara! I'm looking forward to seeing you at Valley Forge this year!

Vicki

Chris Cass
01-25-2005, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr>
Thanks- <hr /></blockquote>

Hi David,

That narrowed it down for me. Your Schon is most likely a SS jointed cue so, therefore you atleast know the hit you like. I've never played with any of the cues mentioned but I know how much a difference a joint makes from wood to wood and SS when trying out.

I have a S.W. I used for 13 yrs. I loved the hit. My entire life I never shot with a cue that wasn't wood to wood joint. Till, I received my Barry Szamboti cue. I went and played with it and it felt like I was shooting with 1/2 a cue.

I totally felt no feedback to my grip hand. Well, atleast not like the cues I was used to. Now, I've retired the S.W. and taken up the Boti. I carried the Boti with me everywhere, along with the S.W. for mths. I'd shoot with it but came tournament time I'd get nervous and go straight for the S.W. Even in front of Barry. (BTW, felt like a idiot for that, believe me.)

Like I said, now I shoot exclusively with the Boti. I now after a short period of time say 3 mths. I let the S.W. sit and grab for the Boti in every situation. I found that it's not the stick or the joint that matters when trying to get used to a cue. It's the getting used to it period.

I never miss with the Boti now.(somewhat exagerated but not many.) I'm also able to finnesse the cb. I now feel the hit, like I didn't, when I first got it. I've came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter, once you get used to it. Also that I feel those finnesse shots with the Boti now. I'm also able to do some things I couldn't do with my S.W. A plus for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also know that the tips, the ferrules and the joints or anything else the change is in. That, you have to adjust your game to every cue. I'm very happy with shooting with the Boti. Matter of fact there's a small tourney that I'm going to this weekend and I won't feel the need to carry the S.W. with. I feel confident that I'll do well.

Long, stupid I know,

C.C.~~Team Boti takes local. hahahahha

PQQLK9
01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Quote CC &gt; Matter of fact there's a small tourney that I'm going to this weekend and I won't feel the need to carry the S.W.

Good luck in the tourny and when you get home and the SW is gone, it will be in my case. ha ha ha
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviddjmp
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Chris-

Thanks for that input, it's appreciated. You make a good point about the SS joint. I had a Pechauer with a proprietary type of SS joint and it just hit too softly. I then got the Schon (piloted SS joint)and liked the hit and then was infected with cue fever. I got a Capone and a Chudy, both were flat faced wood joints with the Chudy being phenolic and the Capone being SS. I played with each of them a few months each until I got my Black Boar which has a piloted SS joint sleeved in ivory (I think for appearance only)and have been playing with it ever since, as it just feels the most natural to me. It hits stiffly but precisely, and the feedback is the best I have felt so far. I would love to try a Hercek or Southwest, but they are expensive and I don't want to wait 5-8 years for a cue.

Take Care-

onepocketchump
01-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I have owned several Olivier cues and I would highly reccomend them. The hit is crisp. Jerry builds a simple cue with no "secret sauce". 3/8x10 pin and a wood to wood joint make a pretty sporty cue in my opinion. The workmanship is very good and Jerry doesn't hesitate to stand behind his work.

I have hit with Capone cues and they are very solid. Nice balance and a quiet hit.

Thomas Wayne cues are hard to read. I have hit with a few that I didn't particularly like. I have "heard" from different people over the years that his cues are inconsisten in the "hit". Can't confirm or deny that.

Dale Perry cues have a unique feel to them. Dale does a technique with the butt that has the core going all the way from the joint to the bottom of the handle. This provides a different balance and hit. I like the hit but not enough to play with one full time. Several of my pool buddies, good players, are in love with theirs.

Hope this helps,

John

Rich R.
01-26-2005, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr> BTW, We are engaged now. Planning a wedding for this fall.<hr /></blockquote>
Congratulations!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

onepocketfanatic
01-27-2005, 08:03 PM
My thoughts are pretty much as onepocket chump. I personally own 2 Jerry Olivier cues and they both hit great. Jerry made custom shafts for me (they are a bit stiffer). He will stand behind his work 100%. This, for me, is why I purchased his cue. He as a couple of new designs out (one of them I personally have) that are not on his web site. His cues are wood to wood with a pheolic or ivory joint (the ivory is more of course). He uses only the highest quality components. He is not only a very good cue maker, but a really nice person as well.