PDA

View Full Version : thinner cue butts

miko
08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
I tried yesterday using my friends cue with a thinner butt and love the way it feels on my grip hand. It seems to be that i'm more comfortable with it. Does anyone use a cue with a thinner butt? I have heard from a cuemaker that thinner butts would provide better feedback. Any truth to this or is it just BS? thanks

Rod
08-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Most of the cues made today are thinner butts and/or different taper from joint to butt. It doesn't take much to change the way it feels in your hand. I've known a couple of guys that ordered slightly larger because of their large hands. I don't believe it makes a difference on size and feed back if the construction is sound.

Rod

JPB
08-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Probably just BS. To the extent it offers feedback it is probably harmful because it probably means the cue is flexing more. A good cue offers plenty of feedback, but should be stiff. Anyway, a lot of players prefer a somewhat fatter butt since a thin butt promotes more wrist action, which you don't need or want.

Thierry Layani
08-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I don't think a thinner butt will have a significant effect on feedback (unless it is very small like a snooker cue)but it could have an influence on how you stroke the cue ball, especially if you have a very loose back hand. Over the years we've made our butts thinner and thinner and I personnaly even play with a thinner butt(1.200") than what we make standard (1.230"). What it does is that when I finish my stroke my follow through is not blocked when I grip the cue at the complete end of the stroke. In other words the larger gap between the cue and my palm allows me to follow through more efficiently. What I feel touching in my back hand does not disturb my stroke. I can say that because playing with a fatter butt really changes the smoothness of my stroke. I personnaly don't like to feel the cue touching my palm when I stroke. But those reason are personnal, I don't think there's any significant objective reason why a thinner butt would be "better". But then again, over the years I've collected more positive opinions regarding thinner butts. Maybe the end motion of the stroke in relation to the touching part of the butt on the back hand is more important than we think.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

THierry Layani

Irish
08-10-2003, 03:00 PM
My cue has a thinner butt then the standard. I like it alot better then the norm, when I go to a normal cue now and shoot with it they feel like clubs in my hand. Of course my tip is 12mm as well and the cue is 59.5 inches long. It is a extremely precise piece of equippment and lends itself to finess shots alot better then a normal cue imo.

Fred Agnir
08-10-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> I tried yesterday using my friends cue with a thinner butt and love the way it feels on my grip hand. It seems to be that i'm more comfortable with it. Does anyone use a cue with a thinner butt? I have heard from a cuemaker that thinner butts would provide better feedback. Any truth to this or is it just BS? thanks <hr /></blockquote>

I like big butts, and I can't deny...

Hope that helps,

Fred &lt;~~~ for a few seconds

miko
08-10-2003, 08:27 PM
I guess that might be the reason why I'm more comfortable with the thin butt. I don't exacly have a big hand and maybe having a thicker cue butt is hampering my stroke.

Thanks for all the replies!

bluewolf
08-11-2003, 08:01 AM
I like a thin butt the best also. Grip very light and I guess it glides better. That is why I want a layani cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Fran Crimi
08-11-2003, 08:58 AM
From what I learned about that, there are a lot of variables involved, such as type of wood combined with the desired balance point. For example, if you wanted a 19oz ebony cue, the cuemaker might opt to shave a little off the butt (because ebony is heavier wood) in order to not compromise the balance point.

In contrast, in making a 19oz maple cue with a thin butt, the cuemaker might have to add weight somewhere in the cue to bring it up to 19 oz. The easiest way to add weight is to add it to the bottom end of the cue, which winds up bringing the balance point farther back.

So in addition to the feel in your hand, you may also be liking a balance point that's a little farther back than you're usually used to, depending on the wood.

Fran