PDA

View Full Version : The "next" $1,000,000 tournament!

Scott Lee
08-10-2003, 02:17 PM
The billiard magazines and newspapers are running full page ads on "The Players Tournament", with a $10,000 entry fee, and a 1st Prize of $1,000,000! I did the math on the payouts vs. the entry fees they expect (512 full field). If they pulled it off, the organizers would rake a cool million in profit! LOL TEN GRAND entry! LOL Wanna make any bets how many "pro" players will (be able to) cough that up? I'll lay ya big odds it won't be anything close to 500! LMAO It does, however, have the credibility of a WPBA player, Ramona Biddle, connected with the organizers. Interesting idea for a tournament! You can check out the website for yourself: www.rightactionmanagement.com (http://www.rightactionmanagement.com)

Scott Lee

PQQLK9
08-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Hey Scott...Let me know if you want a Stakehorse /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rackmup
08-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Do they take checks? I have a full box of checks. If they take checks, I'll stake all of us.

Regards,

Ken

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 01:07 AM
I'll play only if I can get a backer!

Wendy~~~already a winner had I $10,000 to spend!

jjinfla
08-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Vegas has a waiting list for people who are willing to ante up 10K to play in the million dollar Texas Holdem.

So the money is out there.

Maybe it is the confidence of pool players that is lacking? All they have to do is win two matches to be in the money. Where are all those road players that I have heard about who claim to have played for attache cases full of money? Surely they will all enter.

512 may sound like a lot, but it is only 10 per State. Surely there are 10 players in each State who know they are better than half of the people who will enter and with a few good rolls, and a good draw, have a chance to become a millionaire.

512 x 10K = $5,120,000
total payout = $3,963,000
Leaving $1,157,000 for the promotors minus
expenses for rental, advertising, etc = Unknown. But it is up front money with their risk of losing it all.

This is, after all, a business enterprise, with most likely a dozen people who got together to pull it off. Can't begrudge them for wanting to be paid for their efforts.

Backing a player like Earl would probably be a better investment than putting the money in the stock market.

Jake

JPB
08-11-2003, 05:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Vegas has a waiting list for people who are willing to ante up 10K to play in the million dollar Texas Holdem.

So the money is out there.

Maybe it is the confidence of pool players that is lacking?

No, they are two totally different games. Tournament no limit holdem has a huge short term luck factor. Anybody really can win, as the guy who won this year who never played a live tournament showed. That is impossible in pool. You have to be a good player to have any chance to win. In poker you can be OK and get lucky. Nobody who isn't a great pool player can get through a tough tournament. "Congrats, you got lucky and s*** out 3 games on Earl. Now go beat Efren. And If you win that...." It just can't happen. And out of the 800 people who entered the poker tourn this year, a lot won their entries in satellites. You will never get say two hundred pool players starting a 250 tourn to give out some entries. Hell, pool players cant afford the 250. And a lot of rich guys who can't play will sit down in a poker tournament. No rich guy who can't make a ball is going to pay 10000 to play when he can't win a match. Standard deviation keeps poker players coming back and makes the edges for great players very small. Pool has a trivial luck factor compared to poker. So it will never attract the money that games with a huge short term luck factor do. This is also why a lot of guys who win poker tournaments get eaten alive in tough poker games. The guy who won the WSOP this year has about a 2% chance of coming out winners playing, say, an 80-160 mix game for 1500 hours. He would have no chance at all in the 1500-3000 games at Bellagio, or the games at the 300-600 level. He would probably come out better in a no-limit game, but could not beat a big no-limit game with deep money over the long haul probably. Certainly not with a tough lineup. But anyway, if a rich pool player wants to take 10,000 and have a chance to win, he can take 9000 to the craps table where he can win big and save 1000 to get a massive spot from some player who thinks $50 is a big bet. Why enter the tournament?

Cueless Joey
08-11-2003, 05:55 PM
If a bar box banger had 10 grand to waste, he'd be playing on a 9 footer b/c he'd have a house big enough to accomodate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think XFL has better chance of coming back than this tourney happening.

Steve Lipsky
08-11-2003, 07:54 PM
JPB,

Great post. I was going to write something like this (even bringing up this year's WSOP champion), but deleted it upon preview because I couldn't get it to come out right. I'm glad I didn't post it; you said it much better than I did.

- Steve

jjinfla
08-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Quote JPB: Anybody really can win, as the guy who won this year who never played a live tournament showed. That is impossible in pool. You have to be a good player to have any chance to win. In poker you can be OK and get lucky. Nobody who isn't a great pool player can get through a tough tournament

So you think the guy who won the WSOP was just lucky because he had never entered a tournament before? I would probably wager that all the guys he beat would disagree with you on that one. Just because he never entered a tournament before doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play poker. And now that he has won he is the Champion that everyone looks to to copy his technique. But you are right in that many people "think" they have a chance at poker when they really don't and just throw away the 10K.

But then you compare the ball bangers in pool to him. The Million dollar tournament isn't really for the ball bangers it's for all the shortstops, road players, and better players from all over the World who dream of becoming a millionaire. Only the big guns need enter for exactly the reasons you stated.

At least that is my take on it. It will be interesting to see who and how many takers they get. And what will happen if they only get about 300 to enter it. Jake

JPB
08-12-2003, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> __________

So you think the guy who won the WSOP was just lucky because he had never entered a tournament before? I would probably wager that all the guys he beat would disagree with you on that one. Just because he never entered a tournament before doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play poker. And now that he has won he is the Champion that everyone looks to to copy his technique. But you are right in that many people "think" they have a chance at poker when they really don't and just throw away the 10K.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I absolutely think the guy was lucky. He beat many players better than he was. I am not saying he is a bad player. Clearly he has some talent and understanding of the game. And he seems to be a nice guy FWIW, and I am not criticizing him. But remember in a NLHE tourn, your results will be affected by a couple of decisions. Sometimes in coin flip situations. So he got lucky. In fact, the BEST tournament player EVER has to get very lucky to win a tournament with 800 players. If Cloutier won he would have been lucky. If Doyle Brunson won he would have been lucky. And Doyle is significantly better than Cloutier and way way way better than Moneymaker. I mean Moneymaker played internet tournaments. Tournaments are a less skillful form of the game to begin with, and then he played on the net. No way he is as good a poker player as somebody who has played for major money in live games for years is. Where reading players, knowledge of all the games, and yes, even overcoming collusion and stuff is all part of it. Put him in a top section game at Bellagio or Commerce and see what happens. How do you like him in a high stakes game with Brunson, Forrest, Lederer, Reese, etc.... The guy would be massacred. (And his cut of his money after taxes won't give him a big enough bankroll to find out.) Even among the tournament players he is not a favorite.

Also, poker tournaments don't even identify the best players over the long term, because the "long term" is too short compared to the standard deviation to really mean anything. Some of the guys who win a couple aren't necessarily great while some guys who never win may in fact be very good. Particularly when you look at just the big event. It is only going to be played 50-70 times in our lifetime, and that is too short a time to see what the results mean given the huge fluctuations in tourn. poker. A couple thousand hours in a live game comes a lot closer to giving us meaningful results.

art
08-16-2003, 03:42 AM
I live in Southern California. I know of 3 people who are already signed up from my hometown. Imagine if every city had 1 player to represent them. It might actually be a successful tournament. The town I live in (San Diego) doesn't have very many pool players but if we have 3 players signed up already, imagine the ratio with the bigger cities where pool is more popular.

cycopath
08-16-2003, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr>Yes, I absolutely think the guy was lucky. He beat many players better than he was.<hr /></blockquote>Of course that's why the WSOP's slogan is, "Anyone can win".