PDA

View Full Version : An ADVANCED Pool Tournament for ALL Players?

tomcoleman
08-10-2003, 04:32 PM
The Super Pool Challenge has launched our Tournament Series for the "everyday" player and I wanted you to know we are putting a lot of thought into an "advanced" 9-Ball Pool Series for ALL Players. I wanted to share my thoughts with you and get your opinions.

We are thinking of making the participation fee for the Advanced Series $100 and holding the Series in 16 major Cities / Regionals nationwide. 4 Qualifying Tournaments per city, with 16 players maximum per qualifier, the top 2 finishing players and 2 wild card players (players participating in the qualifier chosen randomly) from each Qualifying Tournament will advance to their Regional Championship. The Regional would thus have a field of 16.

The Champion of the Regional + one wild card player would advance to the Grand Championship. The Championship would have a field of 32 players. SuperChallenges.com would provide the 32 players an expense paid trip to the Grand Championship, Air/Hotel and most meals. Plus one heck of an after party! The Grand Championship would be held in Atlanta, Georgia - so if the player didn't need to fly, they would be awarded a $250 trip allowance.

We would increase the Prize money to $60,000 to be split the following way:

Champion - $15,000
Runner Up - $7,500
3rd place - $5,000
4th place - $3,500
5th/6th place tie - $2,500 (2 players tied)
7th/8th place tie - $2,000 (2 players tied)
9th/12th place tie - $1,500 (4 players tied)
13th/16th place tie - $1,000 (4 players tied)
17th/24th place tie - $750 (8 players tied)
25th/32nd place tie - $500 (8 players tied)

Here are the 16 Cities/Regionals we have in mind:

Orlando, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia
Charlotte, North Carolina
Memphis, Tennessee
Dallas, Texas
Houston, Texas
Los Angles, California
Las Vegas, Nevada
Denver, Colorado
Chicago, Illinois
New York, New York
Baltimore, Maryland
Kansas City, Missouri
Cincinnatti, Ohio
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Detroit, Michigan

Are these good? If not - why? Please recommend your city?

This Tournament would be OPEN to any male or female player - Pros, Masters, Semi-Pro and Amateurs are eligible, with an exception: If a player is listed on the BCA website in the "Professional" category, or has won over $10,000 in pool tournaments in the previous year, then that player will have to spot their opponent 2 games in each match they compete. We will use an "alternating break" format.

In the Qualifiers, Regionals and Grand Championship it will be a race to 5 - double elimination Tournament in all rounds - except for the Championship Round, which will be a race to 7 (player from losers bracket will have to win 2 races to 7 before the winner bracket player wins one race to 7).

The shorter races and alternating breaks will give everyone a chance - and a Tournament where "everyone" has a chance should have a GREAT turnout.

Each Qualifier, Regional and Grand Championship would be run by a BCA certified Referee following BCA Rules.

What do you think?

Tom Coleman

email: Tom@SuperChallenges.com

bolo
08-10-2003, 05:25 PM
You haven't even done one successful tournament and you are expanding? Why not see if this thing even works. You are beginning to sound a little fly-by night.

randyg
08-10-2003, 07:01 PM
TOM

I believe that your payback places are wrong. If indeed this is double elimination up to the final round, you show a single elimination payback schedule.....thanks randyg

tomcoleman
08-10-2003, 10:01 PM
bolo -

Great minds don't wait on anything. The Super Pool Challenge has launched and we will be having Qualifying Tournaments next week in Georgia, Florida and South Carolina. Still working on Charlotte.

Ford doesn't wait to produce the next big SUV until he starts selling the ones that are just hitting the lines. Neither can we - we must plan and then work our plan.

I am putting this Advanced Series together for the BIG BOYS - the players who play as a Semi-Pro, Master, Pro and even the Amateur if he has the notion. I mean ANYONE can be BEAT on any GIVEN DAY!

But - I understand your point. But we are marvelous at making a plan, then working the plan.

Randy -

You were correct - we were using a wrong template, we have corrected the payout to the double elimination 32 player Tournament. Thanks for catching that. Precisley the reason I post here - 2, 5, 10 heads are better than one!

Keep the comments coming please - we want to launch the Advanced Series on September 31st, 2003.

I am available in the evenings @ (912) 865-9274, please do not hesitate to call!

Thanks - Tom Coleman

bluewolf
08-11-2003, 07:58 AM
What do I think?

I think that I am tired of reading about this on every forum I go to. There is a tournaments section on az and I am sure that bd would be glad to take your money to advertise for you.

You come over that you are trying to help the poolplayer but that does not resonate in my gut as true in the purest sense. I have not seen any posts by you attempting to contribute to anyone's knowlege of pool, but only advertising of your tournaments.

I come here to read about pool. Maybe this is okay with others, and I am the only one bothered. If that is true, then just discount my comments.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>

...Maybe this is okay with others, and I am the only one bothered. ....<hr /></blockquote>

Yes. You are the only one bothered.

Perk
08-11-2003, 11:16 AM
I think it is fine that he has posted this. Not so much because I will go and shoot either tourney,,,but that everyone gets to see issues that surround the making of a tourney. Making everyone happy isnt always easy.

The initial post of the tourneys gave me a laugh when the subject of "killer amatuers" were mentioned. Brings some light on the situations pool has to work with. Major money amatuer tourneys, and problems with the pros = more players content with being touted a "killer".

BTW....I think I noticed in the subject line: Advanced Tournament for All players....If you dont want to read about tourneys...let this post pass you by.

Blackwolf
08-11-2003, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I think that I am tired of reading about this on every forum I go to. <hr /></blockquote> Some people don't read every forum. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> You come over that you are trying to help the poolplayer<hr /></blockquote>Doesn't putting on a pool tournament help pool players?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> but that does not resonate in my gut as true in the purest sense.<hr /></blockquote>Ahh, you are a purist!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I have not seen any posts by you attempting to contribute to anyone's knowlege of pool<hr /></blockquote>Have you ever seen me contribute to anyone's knowledge of pool? Mostly, I just waste time here. If anyone should be paying BD for taking up space uselessly, it should probably be me. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I come here to read about pool. <hr /></blockquote>Isn't a pool tournament about pool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifscratching my furry black head...

Blackwolf
who thinks bluewolf wants to be a Forum Moderator.

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Come to the northwest...Seattle or Portland...there will be plenty of shooters willing to participate. I would be in for it. Once again the northwest is left out of the tourney trails....

Todd

HOWARD
08-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Sir,

Anything that promotes pool in a positive way I am in favor
of it. You might consider adding a few stops, err California does have the most people - but only one site in
LA? How about SF and/or Sacramento ??

Also the are a lot players up in the Northwest How about Portland and/or Seattle. And since you are thinking big how about Canada?

Why not jack the entry fee to $125.00 n big deal. Maybe run it similar to the Poker tourneys - and fire out some small tourney that can qualify one for the bigger tourney.

Howard

bolo
08-11-2003, 05:22 PM
The problem is, this is obviously a money making venture they are launching and it is beginning to sound like the guy that asks you to sent him $6.00. They are using the board for free ads. Big difference between what they are trying to do, and a guy posting an up coming weekend tournament. I would suggest they buy an ad in the bar at the top of the page as Tasisman has. It is easy to make big plans, mean time they can't even get the payout right as pointed out by another poster. This is Aug, we will see say around Jan or Feb. Want to bet this thing is a bust and someone gets burned. Take a look at the web site, would you send these guys $5000. for a sponsorship?

tomcoleman
08-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Laura -

Yes, we do post on a lot of Forums. Not to be rude, but if you see a topic started by me, then please by all means don't open it.

I contribute to pool by developing EXCITING tournaments where someone besides the top level players have a chance to become a CHAMPION. Not being a great pool player myself, I don't see how I could add to anyones knowledge of pool. I am a promoter - a marketing guy. This is the business I'm in, and I do it well.

So, providing an avenue for Pool Players to have fun, be competitive and make some dough is my contribution.

LOL @ Wally - thanks!

Perk -

We may have something in Detroit. We'd love to have you, or your help in promoting it?

BlackWolf -

I, too, happen to think a pool tournament is "about" pool. Thanks for your reply.

poolgod -

Would players travel from Portland and Vancouver to compete in Seattle to play for up to $15,000 for 1st place? I have had several emails concerning Seattle area.

Howard -

Thanks for the support. Have had a lot of suggestions about the West Coast and Canada. We may have to restructure the Brackets to accommodate 32 major markets instead of 16. But only send the winner to the Grand Championship instead of the winner and a wild card. Plenty for us to think about - keep the ideas coming.

Bolo -

If we don't make any money - we won't be able to promote pool tournaments. In my mail box today was a $250 electric bill - with no money, my children have no lights, or cold milk! Yes, this is a business. So is Disney Land and Six Flags. People pay money to have fun, get away and enjoy themselves. Now - suppose Mr. Disney didn't charge for admission - well, the rides would be there (maybe), but no employees or electricity to run them. A business must have more revenue than expenses to survive (unless you're Enron) - do you agree Bolo?

LOL @ $6.00 man!

I'm using the boards to gather ideas from the ones that matter most to a pool tournament - the pool players, to develop a Series that would be exciting and fun - plus win some serious cash! We're not going to get rich off promoting pool tournaments I assure you.

Yes it is a big difference in what we are doing, tell me - when can a player make up to $15,000 at a local weekend pool tournament for only a $100 entry?

The payout was my error - I used a single elimination scenario instead of a double elimination pay out. It has been corrected.

How much you want to bet Bolo? We have a solid business plan, and players are excited - a good recipe for success. We will survive and prosper with the help of players nationwide and an earned trust of the players knowing we do what we say.

I take offense to the website comment. Yes, it is plain - but it is functional. I built it myself, because I didn't have the time, nor revenues to pay someone to build it. See, I'm from the old school of controlling expenses and producing a profit. Yes, I could have paid someone $3,000 to build a high tech site, but then instead of charging the Title Sponsor $5,000 - they would have had to pay $10,000.

To all:

I have rattled on long enough, but wanted to respond to everyone's posts. I really do appreciate your ideas and opinions - please keep them coming.

Thanks - Tom

UWPoolGod
08-12-2003, 08:50 AM
People drive from Portland and Vancouver all the time for tourneys. It is the center of the Northwest which I am including Vancouver, BC. It is a mere 3 or so hours to Seattle from any direction. There are plenty of pool players willing to put up that amount of money. The last big tourney they had up there had players from even northern California, at a $125 entry fee. 80+ players with $1000-$2000 added brings all of the players. For some reason no pro tour comes this way even with the popularity in the northwest (what else is there to do when it rains all of the time). We have the Pechauer(sp) Tour that attacts up and down the west coast and the NWPA for the women. There are any number of great Vancouver women players as well. Anyways JMHO

Todd

shoot2thrill
08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
YA KNOW i'VE READ ABOUT ALL THIS AND THERE IS JUST TO MUCH STUFF NOT ADDING UP .( like the everyday player )then you go on to say semi-pro ,master level.and the amature player if he wants .THATS CRAP IN THE PUREST FORM.YOUR NOT RELATED TO CHARLIE WILLIAMS ARE YOU ??? NO THANKS I WOULD RATHER GIVE MY MONEY TO A MILK COW
SHOOT TO THRILL
PLAY 2 KILL (BIG JIM W)

tomcoleman
08-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Todd -

Email me your phone # and I will give you a buzz to talk about your area. Or, feel free to call me @ (912) 865-9274.

Shoot -

I think you are getting the different Tournament Series confused with one another.

The Super Pool Challenge is only for the "everyday" or average pool player. If a player has ever won money in a Pro Tournament Event, or is listed on the BCA website - then they are not eligible.

The other Series that we are considering, is an Advanced Series where ANY pool player is eligible. Only exception is that if a participating player is listed on the BCA website as a Men's or Women's Professional or Master, then they have to spot their opponents a certain number of games:

Pro's: If their immediate opponent is -

Listed as a Pro also - then no games are given.
Listed as a Master - then 1 game is given.
Not listed at all on the BCA Website - 2 games are given.

Master's: If their immediate opponent is -

Listed as a Pro - then the Master player is given 1 game.
Listed as a Master also - then no games are given.
Not listed at all on the BCA Website - 1 game is given.

We haven't decided on the Advanced Series as of yet - but it's looking good. It all adds up if you read the posts correctly and don't mix up the two Series.

Thanks - Tom

tomcoleman
08-14-2003, 08:49 AM
I have received numerous emails and PM's about additional cities, so we are considering broadening our reach. I even had players want me to hold Qualifiers in Taipei and Germany.

So, if we are to add 16 more cities, what cities could produce 4 Qualifiers with a 16 player bracket in each? Each city would have a Semi-Final for their city where the top two players and two wild card players advance. Then from that Semi-Final, the Champion and one wild card would advance to the Nationals expense paid!

If we are to add 16 cities, for a total of 32, then the registration fee would be only $100 versus $125. Plus, we would pay out on each city's Semi-Final Championship as well as the National Championship.

Still working on it - so, your input is appreciated.

Thanks,