PDA

View Full Version : Cue Ball Weight

NBC-BOB
08-11-2003, 11:25 AM
The last few weeks I've been playing in a room that use's the Aramith red circle cue ball.I noticed a difference in my speed control,in comparison to my Brunswick blue circle cue ball.I bought a new red circle ball and weighed it and the blue circle ball.Red was 5.75OZ Blue was 5.25 OZ.Now that I have the red circle at home to practice with on the same type of cloth, I'm surprised that I even feel the difference between the two balls.It's going to take me awhile to adjust.Anyone else experience this or did you adjust very quick, between the two balls?

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM
You sure about these numbers? I can't remember a blue circle ever weighing less than a red, and half an ounce difference seems high also...sid

Fred Agnir
08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> The last few weeks I've been playing in a room that use's the Aramith red circle cue ball.I noticed a difference in my speed control,in comparison to my Brunswick blue circle cue ball.I bought a new red circle ball and weighed it and the blue circle ball.Red was 5.75OZ Blue was 5.25 OZ.Now that I have the red circle at home to practice with on the same type of cloth, I'm surprised that I even feel the difference between the two balls.It's going to take me awhile to adjust.Anyone else experience this or did you adjust very quick, between the two balls? <hr /></blockquote>Unless this blue circle is severely worn or has chips out of it, then the weight you've written seems way off.

The manufacturer (Saluc of Belgium) told me that the blue circle is made to the same weight and dimension specs. as the object balls, and the red circle is made to be slightly lighter. My previous weighing of some red circles and blue circles has been consistent with this information.

Given that, there are red circles out there that aren't the Red Champion Circle Ball. I have no idea who makes them. Also, I have an old blue dot cueball from the old Centennial set that might be 5.5 oz, but I doubt it's 5 1/4 oz.

Fred

Rod
08-11-2003, 01:23 PM
I think we need a re-weight. Red C 5.63 to 5.66. Blue C 5.67 to 5.70. I wonder if the composition changed in the red? 5.25 must be a completely worn out blue, you could draw that to Texas. LOL Well ok, maybe to Pryor Oklahoma. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod, never been to Pryor

Fast Eddie NSU
08-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Nothing much in pryor its about /--this big--\

Rod
08-11-2003, 07:23 PM
I have a cousin south of town. Not a one horse town but must be pretty close. LOL

NBC-BOB
08-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Well I'm at work right now, but will recheck the weight sometime this week.

Big Dave
08-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Those weights you are quoting seem very "round figure" to me! Quote: "Red was 5.75OZ Blue was 5.25 OZ"... I hope you're not using one of those kitchen scales with a set of brass weights...! Also 2.25inch balls are supposed to weigh 6.00 OZ and the BCA won't sanction a tournament if the balls are less than 5.50 OZ!

Now I've got a set of electronic scales (whooooh!) that measure to 1/100th of an OZ and I've measured 2.25inch balls when brand new. Blue circle = 6.02 OZ and red circle = 5.97 OZ.
I've also weighed older, cheaper and worn balls and they seem to wear out, become smaller in diameter by as much as 3mm (sorry about mixing up metric/imperial measurements) and lighter - 5.47 OZ is the lightest I've measured!
In fact, Red circle and blue circle, along with Aramith balls with the zigzag logo on them all maintain their weight and size much longer than the cheaper brand balls!

Hope this helps/is of interest/doesn't make me sound too nerdy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif