PDA

View Full Version : Dating/married to pool players

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Last summer I was dating a woman who plays pool. Due to our different hours of work (me 6am-5pm, her 3pm-1am) nothing progressed past good friends with benefits which was fine for both of us. Enjoyed playing in tourneys and at the hall with each other. She had never dated a pool player, said she never would, and now says she won't ever again. I was moving to Portland so we just became friends and I have since moved Portland for work.

Now I have met another woman who plays in several leagues (womens, APA). At least our schedules are the same this time. However I can see that she is a very competitive person and wants me to teach her to get better. Which is cool too, I have no problems with that. However, what should I expect to have to deal with now that we will eventually be playing together in tourneys and see each other afterward? Cold shoulder? "You beat me..so no nookie for you!" LOLOLOL How have you all dealt with those situations? i know its been hashed before..

Nightstalker
08-11-2003, 02:52 PM
IMO in a mature adult relationship NOTHING should interfere with living up to the expectations of a partnership in the bedroom. Leave the baggage OUT of the bedroom let ye wish a dysfunctional relationship!

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Humf! You've hit a sour note with me on this one! I'm never EVER going to date another poolplayer. They all know each other. But what can I do when pool is what I do and all the guys I meet are serious pool players??? My last 3 BFs were all pool players. Two out of the three absolutely hated it when I would practice with another dude, talk to other dudes, yuck it up with other dudes, but the majority of serious poolplayers around here are men. What the #*$@! ever. Friends from now on, that's it.

Man I need a drink.../ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nightstalker
08-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Sounds like you need to find a real man, one who is your equal and is not going be become so jealous when you are merely talking to other men! I have a woman who is jealous and that issue comes up a lot!

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2003, 03:07 PM
I've had the beginnings of something with women who played pool, and either they pissed me off with their rampant flirting with everybody or else the trouble with my beating them burned their butts! There was only once that I believe it could have worked out, only once out of all of them. Those are horrible odds my friend. I say date outside of the sport, BUT don't turn anything down that is "there" for the taking. You can never catch up on those once passed by, and hey! it might magically work out. Nobody knows where it will happen right, still the billiard sport isn't very good common ground for long term relational success. Are there exceptions? Sure. Not near as many as the duds though...sid

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Yeah having hot girlfriends who play pool and go to bars around drunken middle-aged horndogs who try to get any view of them bending over they can makes me kind of warm. But then again makes me kind of proud to be with a girl that turns heads. I don't know...we'll see where it progresses...and like you said...never pass up an opportunity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
08-11-2003, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Two out of the three absolutely hated it when I would practice with another dude, talk to other dudes, yuck it up with other dudes...<hr /></blockquote>

Stay away from the ones' who suffer from emotional insecurity and all will be fine.

Regards,

Ken (the King of Love-Life advice...yeah, right.)

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Being with a girl that turns heads is fine. It's the a$$holes that see you with her and still turn their heads or say things. It might make you proud but believe me it's not a pretty sight when it constantly happens. What a bunch of crap. Having to turn your head the other way if a dude is walking towards you. Like it's my fault...

Sorry, I'm just venting. I'm going through an extremely painful breakup. Two guys tried picking me up today on my 7 block walk to the train station and I must've given them the only Excorcist look! @#$* Men. Patooey!

Wendy~~~waiting to exhale...

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 03:40 PM
9BG calls us "dudes"...is it fine if we call women "chicks" LOLOLOL some chicks don't like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah any guy that has those type of insecurity issues and lack-of-trust/jealousy issues shouldn't be bothered with. But it is hard when you find out they have those triats later. Everyones misgivings should be tattooed on their foreheads after puberty. Would weed out the ones you know aren't compatible with before the heartache.

Todd &lt;--- definitely not Dr. Phil

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Hey I call 'em like I see 'em. Dudes, cats, chicks, broads, whatever. It's all the same crapola.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
08-11-2003, 03:48 PM
I don't know...I know some redneck guys in the little town my parents are from calling their girlfriends/wives "squaws"..."My squaw can't cook"...*spit*..."well my squaw can't do tha laundry".

If I were the women I would backhand them LOL

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
"Having to turn your head the other way if a dude is walking towards you. Like it's my fault..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is entirely different from what irritates me. The GF sliding over to one or two of the same houndogs, pressing their hip on them and getting less than a foot with their face to theirs...that is what I'm talking about. Guys will look at fine women, and I too enjoy knowing I have a nice looking lady to appreciate. I do not appreciate it a bit for a GF of mine to be a butterfly in the room, it's insulting to me and adds carnal thoughts to the houndogs who's minds already tend to naturally wander in that direction as it is. This street can easily go in both directions, and it many times becomes a question of who began to play the head game first, either consciously or subconsciously...sid

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Been there, done that. Not a good thing in my eyes. Nope, not even close. My lady doesnt play, nor has the slightest desire to play pool &lt;Voodoo puts hands together and thanks GOD, whomever SHE is&gt;!! Of course these days...neither do I!!!

Fran Crimi
08-11-2003, 08:19 PM
I've had a few of those pool player-pool player relationships. I think they're fun. You really can't try to anticipate how the other person will react until you get to know them well enough. Each relationship is different. I think Ken hit it on the head. Stay away from insecure people, men or women. They'll drag you down and make your life miserable.

Have fun and enjoy the adventure. Don't anticipate. Just enjoy it!

Fran

Hopster
08-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Well UW, if its a hassle find women somewhere else and keep your pool playing separate.
Me personally, my wife likes to play and i enjoy having her with me so it works out fine. Dont drive yourself nuts with this, just keep em separate if its a problem.

bluewolf
08-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Sometimes, even if both like to play, it can be a pain when their speed is so far apart, it is hard to play together.

When my son was just here, he said he does not want to get any better because many of his friends will not play with him anymore. He has never had a lesson,just uses house cues, has just played for a year or two, just has a talent(I would give for), I guess, the balls just drop,banks go in, combos go, cb control, has a touch.Too bad he cares more about having friends than the game. Kind of sad. We played for hours.

So when you put two together, one has talent, one does not and will never get to the speed of the talented one, ego, insecurities like ken noted, do come in. How to stay away from all of the insecure people when the world is full of them?

Laura

holls
08-12-2003, 07:30 AM
UW

I met the love of my life in the pool room. We're more in love now than ever and we're going on 3 (or 4 ) years (I can never remember and his memory is even worse than mine).

Now I don't bring this up to brag. He and I have had to play against each other on numerous occasions in league, tournaments, and even been to the point where we've both captained teams which have had to compete against each other.

As you can guess, we've had multiple arguments/discussions about the game. But neither one of us is willing to give up playing, we love the competition/game too much.

Over the years, the short memory has come in very handy. In addition, getting to know each other and how we react to situations is helpful to the other one. There have been numerous occasions where we've let the other one storm out of the pool room and do whatever they need to do to cool off. Eventually the passion of the moment passes. If we have to play each other, before the match starts, we make a point to say "no pissyness" and seal it w/a kiss. At that point, we are no longer a couple and are 2 opponents out to win. It has taken awhile to get to this point, but it is worth it.

We both play so much that if one of us didn't play, we'd never see each other. So playing is a time for us to enjoy each other's company, when we are not competing. We play each other and it's not about competion, lessons etc... it's all about just enjoying being w/each other doing something we both love.

The biggest key... We both know the difference between the bedroom and the pool room. What happens in the pool room never enters the bedroom and vice versa.

OnePocketChamp
08-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey, I feel for you, it is difficult to find that certain person that is confident in his/hers relationship with absolute trust. There are those people out there and some are even pool players. I only wish I lived in New York and was 20 years younger, ah the impossible dream!!!!!
What did I just say "wish I lived in New York" I am becoming unstable in my advancing years /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Seriously, I have been reading most of your post for months now and you certainly display the intellect and good humor needed to establish that meaningful BF relationship.
Now, don't tell me you speak with that Bronx accent thing, I love that!!!!!!

eg8r
08-12-2003, 01:28 PM
LOL, OPC you crack me up. This post reminds me of a line I saw in a movie (please do not take offense /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) "Why did God give men brains???? So they will not 'hump' girls legs at parties." LOL, I love it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Not sure why OPC's post reminded me of that

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2003, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> LOL, OPC you crack me up. This post reminds me of a line I saw in a movie (please do not take offense /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) "Why did God give men brains???? So they will not 'hump' girls legs at parties." LOL, I love it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Not sure why OPC's post reminded me of that <hr /></blockquote>

Is OPC a horndog? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh wait I found a pic

http://www.bobandtom.com/gen3/1cover_img/pantydog.jpg