PDA

View Full Version : Dr. bob, pressure?

02-18-2002, 04:09 PM
In Dr. bobís article this month he compares tournament playing with league play by stating that league play does not offer the pressure that tournament play does. In thinking about this I donít agree. In league play the pressure of playing in front of oneís peers presents much greater pressure. I have seen a players game destroyed by the pressure of having 10 or more people watching.

Many I have talked to agree that in tournament play, not knowing the people around the table makes it easier to play since there are no conceptions about the players game at the start. Dr. bob makes this statement as a fact, but I wonder if he has ever played in a league?

What do you think, which one has more pressure?

Best, Ron.

02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Hi Ron,
I would have to say more pressure in tournaments.

jjinfla
02-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Especially when you start thinking about the money. Each match gets you closer to the big payoff. And each match is for more money. Jake~~~would never think to mention the amount of money at stake on a match to make his opponent nervous.

cheesemouse
02-18-2002, 04:55 PM
I think pressure is self inflicted and even though I personally like the pressure I do seem to play better in single tournaments than I do in team play. It may have something to do with the time bewteen games in team play; it's hard to develope any rythm in team pool. IMO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

02-18-2002, 07:09 PM
Ron:

I agree with you but for a different reason. I find tournament play to be easier (because it puts less pressure on me) than league play. In league matches, I compete not only for myself but for my teammates as well. For me, the dependence of others on my performance and me is a real pressure cooker. In a tournament, it is just my opponent and me. If he or she plays better or if my luck is poor, so be it. In a league match, every game counts.

Steve

Rod
02-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Ron, I'm sure it depends on the person. League play can
add more pressure than tournament, for some people.
When I played in a league I felt it, but also there your usually at the table for one game, which doesn't help.
To me league was more of a fun thing. IMO Tournaments take
more preparation to play your best, so if anything that
would put more pressure on me, if I expected to much.

Rod

02-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks for your reply Rod. I play APA and as a 6 I'm up for maybe 8 games, lots of time for pressure.
Best, Ron.

02-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Good point, part of peer pressure is supporting the team, maybe even having the deciding match as you point out.

02-18-2002, 11:13 PM
"Mortgage Matches" have got to have the most amount of pressure. Heads up for when it really matters. Peer pressure and personal pressure is nothing compared to spousal pressure.
FWIW, I have never gambled with the mortgage money.. car payment money, that's a different story.

(not gambling anymore)

cuechick
02-19-2002, 12:00 AM
I do think it depends in the person, but league play with a team to me is much more pressure but ultimatly more rewarding. I love the team experiance and when the stakes are high (sometimes as high as any tournament, trip to Vegas...) there is nothing like it. One of my 3's said durring one play off "It's like watching a scary movie except your in it!" when my team won the trip to Vegas last summer it was like winning the lottery, I have never experianced anything quite like it. I also captain a BCA team and we finished 3rd last year in the Woman's Masters, I still have nightmares about my final game. I will also never forget my teammate making the 8 to send the Canadians packing. We had a huge NY turn out to cheer us on it is my favorite part of that tourney by far.

Maybe Dr. Bob was refering to indviual league play? I know he use to play at Amsterdam and they have those.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Dr. Bob is has a habit of making comments about pool that are not based on experience, but his knowledge of the mental aspects of competition in sports.
Dr. Bob is still trying to learn about pool and its idioscyncrocies.
I believe Pressure is self induced. How do you control it? is an other thread.