PDA

View Full Version : One more jump cue question ...

Snyder1
08-11-2003, 09:07 PM
After reading many references as to the jump cue recently here ... I just can't believe there are that many people proficient at using a jump cue (I'm totally useless with it). My gut feeling on the subject is this ... I would imagine there are many more who use it strictly at home or in practice; and darn few who have developed the necessary skills to actually use it in serious match play ... am I wrong or just frustrated ? Thx ...

JS

pooljunkie73
08-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I can't talk for everyone else but i use mine in tournaments. I make balls, play shape, i am totally comfortable with it. If i don't think i can jump it, i'll kick it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cheesemouse
08-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Snyder1,

Yes, you'd be wrong. Many players are very accurate with there jumps. some are devestating. The 'damn' things are here to stay so you'd better jump away till your confident with it. The jump stick is most worth while as a get out of jail card, you will make many hits with them were the kick is out of the question. Happy trails... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
08-11-2003, 10:23 PM
I love my JC. I mean, I am in love with my JC!

In Manila, a man can marry his jump cue. They can also marry a Yak but I don't have a Yak so I am saving for my trip to Manila so that I might make an honest jump cue out of my little Meucci-Smeucci JC.

Regards,

Ken (whooo...the birthday is winding down and I know there will be a headache in the morning.)

ceebee
08-12-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm here to say that you are not well informed. God there's a hundred kids in Tulsa that will astound you. There are several things to keep in mind about jumping the Cue ball. The Cue ball needs to be struck on the L/R Equator normally.. any left or right Cueing will result in a Jump Masse (which is good to know). As you look at the shot & determine the needed angle for the Cue ball to travel over the blocking Ball, that will help you see where you need to hit the Cue ball for Draw, Stop or Follow. A good Jump Cue will be light (less than 10-11 ounces), about 45 inches long & have a hard tip on it. You can make a plain leather tip hard by making it thin on a short ferrule. Spend yourself a hundred bucks & buy a good Jump Cue. Then go see your local Training Professional for a few lessons & join the Jumpers....

Cueless Joey
08-12-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I love my JC. I mean, I am in love with my JC!

In Manila, a man can marry his jump cue. They can also marry a Yak but I don't have a Yak so I am saving for my trip to Manila so that I might make an honest jump cue out of my little Meucci-Smeucci JC.

Regards,

Ken (whooo...the birthday is winding down and I know there will be a headache in the morning.) <hr /></blockquote>
Wrong!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
In Manila, if you use a jump cue, you get shot on the spot.
Why do you think they kick so well down there?
Yak? Wrong country. Yaks are in Tibet. They have water buffalo in southeast asia.
I carry a Stealth Air. I go airborne whenever needed.

Sid_Vicious
08-12-2003, 11:34 AM
I began jumping to eleviate myself from giving bih on missed kicks, and I am here to tell you, I DRAMATICALLY CHANGED THAT PROBLEM! Learning to extend jumping skills to enable pocketing balls AND playing position came next, because it was just too much fun showing off. Soon the ability to see the ball going into the pocket became something to expect,,,what a weapon to add to the arsenal. It would have been worth it if all I was ever able to do was to avoid bih from failed kicks, the rest just adds flavor to my enjoyment to the billiard sport, plus it's special to me to see the opponents faces when I pull out the jumper, "Oh, I forgot he had that!" Playing safe is one facet of this game that some players run into the ground, so I figure the invention of the JC was natural to thwart those particular playerS a little ;-) sid

Rod
08-12-2003, 11:53 AM
You just need a little more practice. Once you quit trying to drive the ball through the slate, but making it bounce off the slate it will get better. It's more finesse instead of force.

Yes many jump, I believe the old lady down the street jumps pretty good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif She has to Spidey took her crutch tip.LOL (inside joke)

Rod

Sid_Vicious
08-12-2003, 01:11 PM
"She has to Spidey took her crutch tip.LOL"

Well, I got her other one...sid

Snyder1
08-13-2003, 03:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I'm here to say that you are not well informed. God there's a hundred kids in Tulsa that will astound you. There are several things to keep in mind about jumping the Cue ball. The Cue ball needs to be struck on the L/R Equator normally.. any left or right Cueing will result in a Jump Masse (which is good to know). As you look at the shot &amp; determine the needed angle for the Cue ball to travel over the blocking Ball, that will help you see where you need to hit the Cue ball for Draw, Stop or Follow. A good Jump Cue will be light (less than 10-11 ounces), about 45 inches long &amp; have a hard tip on it. You can make a plain leather tip hard by making it thin on a short ferrule. Spend yourself a hundred bucks &amp; buy a good Jump Cue. Then go see your local Training Professional for a few lessons &amp; join the Jumpers.... <hr /></blockquote>

Ahhhh, I see I'm going about this with totally wrong equipment - standard cue without a hard tip. I've seen footage of jumping, but all I get is skidding ... can't get the ball off the table, regardless of cue angle or pace. Thanks ... one last question though:

Exactly how important is a dedicated jump cue ... can a person learn to jump with standard equipment, or is a jump cue a necessity (I guess what I'm getting at is I'm so friggen bad at jumping right now, I don't know if a $150 jump cue would even help me ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif).
PS - whats makes this exponentially worse is that I can scoup the hellouta the ball - and do it accurately, but I found out at a much later date after much time spent on it that its an illegal shot /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

JS

Sid_Vicious
08-13-2003, 03:39 PM
"I don't know if a $150 jump cue would even help me"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can get a great jumper for 60-100 bucks. I personally suggest a Lucasi from Hawleys.com(or an on-line competitor, all about the same price anyway.) I understand that Ebay has the same cues but cheaper, but the main thing is that these jumpers work. Even the Bungee on-line is a good buy. JM2C...sid

Qtec
08-13-2003, 03:41 PM
I would hang on to my cash if I were you .
Right as we speak , the USTMPHOA,and the BCA [ US Table Manufacturers and Pool Hall Owners Assoc. ] are seriously considering a change in the rules to admit a special ball specifically for jump shots.

The new ball, that has much more bounce properties , will make it possible to play a jump shot with an ordinary cue.

The benefits for the ball banger are obvious and the slitage on the cloth will be reduced so much that it will reduce the costs on table wear. Also , no more Qballs flying through the air ,as happens in some establishments, sometimes to the extent that safety hats are should be provided.

Keep you posted.

Q

Keith Talent
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
I got a Lucasi jump cue for $50 on eBay recently. Never had attempted to jump a ball before, but had moderate success with it. After about a dozen tries, searching for the right angle, I made a few hangers from about 1 1/2 balls behind, going the length of a 9-foot table.

Not sure I'll use it all that much, because I prefer kicking, but you can't go far wrong for that price.

Qtec
08-14-2003, 08:41 AM
I think this looks ridiculous. Q

http://www.azbilliards.com/2003coc/horsfall1.jpg

RedHell
08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
I don't know where you are getting this info from, but, even if it's true, it doesn't mean tha all PH will start ordering them cue balls.

He'd better spend a few bucks on a decent jump cue or learn to kick like Beckham !

rackmup
08-14-2003, 11:54 AM
The BCA isn't doing anything that will require cue balls that are "easier to jump." This is straight from the "Horse's Mouth":

"Huh? Nope...nothing even remotely close to that going on here at the BCA."

I asked if the use of JC's was in "jeopardy" or under current review:

"No."

Sounds like bogus info started by the Netherlands Democratic Society.

Regards,

Ken

ChrisW
08-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Are you saying that a bouncier cue ball will not fly through the air as much?

As it is now when breaking the cue ball can take out light bulbs, waitress trays, beer glasses and cue racks. Add some bounce to the cue ball and your talking about ceiling fans, Bob's toupee, the Bud mirror on the wall and the guy outside in the crosswalk.

I think changing the cue ball will change a lot more that how a jump shot is played.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
08-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I'd accept looking like that rather than handing over BIH and sitting down. Frankly though, I can imagine that the appearance of the dart stroke may be one of the reasons you don't see many professionals using it. But as far as I'm concerned, it beats the alternative since my kicking game sucks. Besides, that style is much more accurate than the pendelum, especially in short, close-up jumps...sid

Rod
08-14-2003, 12:43 PM
There ain't no way I even considered such. Their smoking their breakfast over there.

eg8r
08-14-2003, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, that style is much more accurate than the pendelum, especially in short, close-up jumps...sid <hr /></blockquote> I would clarify that and say ONLY in short close-up jumps.

There is no proof that the dart style is any more accurate on a "normal" jump shot (referring to shots that are about 1.5 balls away from impeding ball and you are shooting over the entire ball) than using the pendulum stroke.

If you are jumping over only half the impeding ball or a quarter of the ball, I don't see any reason in the world why you would need to use the dart unless that is the only way you feel comfortable. As far as it being more accurate using the dart I disagree.

eg8r

pooltchr
08-14-2003, 01:34 PM
I am not by any means one of the best jump ball shooters in the world (not even in my PH for that matter), but when I need to jump, I reach for my bunjee and always use a dart stroke. It might look strange, but it's comfortable, and it works for me.
Steve~~knows better than to even attempt a jump without a JC

RedHell
08-14-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ... I don't see any reason in the world why you would need to use the dart unless that is the only way you feel comfortable....

eg8r

<hr /></blockquote>

Well tell that to my 5 foot 2 friend. The dart is the only way he get some elevation on the jump.

But I agree, short jump dart(unless you're 7 foot tall) anything longer than 3 balls pendulum... Anyway that's how I do it.

My problem is the dart stroke often apply english to the cue ball and will make it swerve a lot if the object ball is far...

Sid_Vicious
08-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Lemme ask you this, can you put follow with running english using the pendelum? Just for grins I tried jumping out of a corner w/2 balls width, jumping the entire ball, going for the standard 3-railer to the opposite corner, which you must use both follow and inside english on(showing off, I know!), and I came close the first attempt, and made the shot the next 2 tries, pocketing the hanger. I kinda doubt you're going to accomplish that with the pendelum, but I could be wrong. Been wrong before.

Naw, I still stand behind my statement that most all length hops are easier to control with the dart. Maybe it's just how it works for me.

One more point, the pros on TV top balls in situations where I'd 90%+ NEVER fail to clear using the dart. I find that inexcusable at their level, and wonder whether they would have topped it had they used the dart...sid

Ralph S.
08-14-2003, 04:50 PM
I have a stealth jump cue that I love and it is also designed to be useful in long jumps. However, I can jump long distances about as accurately with a regulation cue.

eg8r
08-14-2003, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's just how it works for me. <hr /></blockquote> This is the important part. It works for you. Yes the 3 rail shot you are referring to is a pretty easy shot, and I do not have much problem with it after a couple practice shots (as you know I do use the pendulum stroke). LOL, I used to like to show off myself. I almost never jump anymore, I kind of like the feeling I get after hitting a tough kick shot and not selling out. If I have no path whatsoever, I will pull out the Bunjee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
08-14-2003, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well tell that to my 5 foot 2 friend. The dart is the only way he get some elevation on the jump.
<hr /></blockquote> Well, I would not need to tell that to your friend. Go back and read the quote of mine that you pasted, it states "unless that is the only way you feel comfortable". It is quite obvious that your friend would only feel "comfortable" with the dart stroke.

I am not knocking the dart, I just don't believe that someone can say that is the most accurate way to shoot the jump shot. There is no concrete proof, it is only a more accurate shot if you do not feel comfortable shooting it the other way. It is no more than a simple "preference".

eg8r

rackmup
08-14-2003, 06:27 PM
...the evil OPC got Ed hooked on one-pocket so Ed never uses his JC.

Sure...it could be used in one-hole but OPC would slap him straight upside his big ol' Charlie Brown head if he did.

Regards,

Ken (fell into OPC's trap but Kato rescued me from the darkness...)

Sid_Vicious
08-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Makes sense, what works for one isn't always what fits another. There's something about kicks that intimidates the crap out of me, just never picked it up like I should have and I have days on end where I seem doomed to cough up BIH, embarrassingly with missed kicks, my weakness for sure. Since working with the JC I've cut my BIH fouls down to an amazing few, and those are predominently caused by the kicks I have to try due to a solid lock-up exept on those days when I "scratchitis." sid