PDA

View Full Version : Q-Clean; any negative comments?

BillPorter
08-12-2003, 07:27 AM
A friend of mine uses Q-Clean on his shafts--they always look great. Anyone have any negative comments about the product? Just thought I'd ask before trying some out myself. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> A friend of mine uses Q-Clean on his shafts--they always look great. Anyone have any negative comments about the product? Just thought I'd ask before trying some out myself. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. <hr /></blockquote>

I haved used it for 3 years with no obvious ill effects. It works well. I also used to use the q-smooth papers but I don't any more. Here's why:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=79240&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=

BillPorter
08-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Wally, thanks for the info!

Fran Crimi
08-12-2003, 09:45 AM
No negative comments on my end. I think it's a good product and have used it often. You just have to make sure you get all the grit off your shaft after you use the product or you'll feel it. After I apply it to the shaft and wipe it down, I then take a plain damp paper towel and wipe it again to get the rest of the grit off. I might do that two or three times if I still feel some grit. Then I wipe the shaft with a dry paper towel and let the shaft dry out for about 10 minutes. Then I burnish it with a piece of leather. I prefer the feel of raw smooth wood and don't like any of those silicone sprays or sealers.

Fran

daviddjmp
08-12-2003, 01:25 PM
My only complaint is that is ridiculously expensive, $10 for this little bottle. It is basically precipitated calcium carbonate in a little grainier form. Precipitated chalk (as it is also called) has been used for years as a base for silver polish, a very low abrasive powdery substance. You can buy a pound and a half of the stuff from a Wine Supply Store for about 6 bucks, as they also use it for regulating the PH in wine and beer. It is a little messier than Q-Clean, but works just as well for cleaning pool cue shafts-

Jay
08-12-2003, 05:55 PM
i use it all the time the only complaint that I have is the smell. It kind of bothers me but the results are good. After I do the cleaning I use the Q-Wiz to smooth and burnish the shaft. I was a bit hesitant to use an abrasive cleaner but the guy at the local shop assured me that it would not change the size of the shaft. He even told me that if it did he would give me a brand new one. He gave me a shaft measuring tool for free and I check it all the time and it has yet to get smaller. The one thing about the Q clean is to make sure that the rag that you are using is not to wet because it can damage the shaft. My friend made the mistake of using a rag that was too wet and his shaft got a little distorted but he wasnt so mad because his girlfriend ended up buying him a 314. Talk about love!

pooldaddy9
08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
If it works for you, go for it. Any advantage is to your advantage. Take it any way you can..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pizza Bob
08-14-2003, 08:27 AM
If I'm not mistaken there is also some powdered chlorine bleach in Q-Clean. I've used it for years with no problem - just heed Fran's post.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

BillPorter
08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Hey folks, I just wanted to say that one of the main things I like about this board is the prompt and knowledgeable advice you get when you post a question. Thanks to Wally, Fran, pooldaddy9, Pizza Bob, daviddjmp, and Jay for giving me useful information in response to my querry. It's appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

Alfie
08-15-2003, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> If it works for you, go for it. Any advantage is to your advantage. Take it any way you can..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>WTF!?!?

UWPoolGod
08-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Water Treatment Facility