PDA

View Full Version : slop--how often do you REALLY see it?

heater451
08-12-2003, 04:18 PM
I was reading in another thread, and the "slop factor" of the APA rules was brought up in it.

In many bars that I've been into, where the game was with BCA-like rules, regarding "call the ball and the pocket", I've often heard "bar-rules" players complain that it was "slop" (in relation to uncalled caroms, and the like).

In my years of playing "league rules" (BCA and TAP), I've only witnessed a handful of actual "slop" shots. The most common being where an OB would double-bank back to a called pocket, after being hit too hard, and very rarely an extremely wild hit would send a ball home, after following a path that Stephen Hawking couldn't predict.

I have never played in an APA league, with "full slop" allowed (ANY pocket), which brings me to my question(s):

1) How often does a ball get slopped in, during an APA league match? (I am more concerned with 8-ball--I could see it happening much more often in 9-ball.)

2) Is the "slop factor" often a deciding factor in a game, or match?

===============

heater451
08-12-2003, 05:06 PM
I realize that there will be a higher amount of slopped-in shots, if you are competing in a league with a high percentage of "bangers", or rather, intermediate players who tend to hit too hard.

There might be a small group of people who hit hard, and expect to get something by luck. I would want to include this group in the count, to get a better idea of whether "slop" really matters that much.

============================

UWPoolGod
08-12-2003, 05:20 PM
I have also never played in a APA slop type league. But out here in the boonies there is a weekly "meat shoot" on Wednesdays for full dinners with steaks or full breakfasts. In it all slop counts except for the 8ball and there have been a few instances where my last few balls were tied up with my oponents and I "sprayed and prayed" and got one in while breaking up the others for the runout. It is only a race to 1 on both sides so it is a harsh thing to do...but free food tastes better. Especially at a $2 entry.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2003, 05:59 PM
And, How about Slop SHAPE?

You know.. when you play a "lock type" safe on a rail banger and they miss the OB but end up hitting it, making it and getting shape.. Triple whammy.. I've seen this more times than I deserve..

9 Ball Slim
08-13-2003, 03:01 AM
Last week I played at a new room here in town that has an APA League on Wed night, and witnessed an argument over who's slop was sloppier...funny stuff. Kinda' like the time I watched two drunk bangers try to play straight pool on Dynamo bar box /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Qtec
08-13-2003, 05:12 AM
My favourute.

START(
%A[4B1%IK2S7%O[5A9%Pg9V9%QA6X4%Ur1L7%VJ5[1%WD3W1%XJ6S9%YI0Z7
%ZC1W6%[g7C9%\r5K8%]D4Z5%^f7C7%_M1S4%`W2T7%af9V8
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Q

Fred Agnir
08-13-2003, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>
In my years of playing "league rules" (BCA and TAP), I've only witnessed a handful of actual "slop" shots. The most common being where an OB would double-bank back to a called pocket, after being hit too hard, and very rarely an extremely wild hit would send a ball home, after following a path that Stephen Hawking couldn't predict.<hr /></blockquote>
I certainly take advantage of a "big pocket" if there are other balls hanging around. Would that be called "slop"? If it is, then I do it every set.

[ QUOTE ]
1) How often does a ball get slopped in, during an APA league match? (I am more concerned with 8-ball--I could see it happening much more often in 9-ball.)<hr /></blockquote> It happens. I'd guess in any of my matches it might have happened once or twice a match. But, it was a rare time that someone slopped in a ball that mattered. Overall, 8-ball is such a lucky game that the occassional slopped in ball hardly is noticeable.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Is the "slop factor" often a deciding factor in a game, or match?<hr /></blockquote> I'd say, "no." But again, that's because IMO, a lucky leave or safe which happens often with amateurs in almost every game is much more determining than a slopped in shot.

That being said, I played a 8-ball BCA rules tournament, where I made the following shot.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%A[4B1%H^4W1%O[5A9%Pd9X2%QA6X4%UC6D5%V]7V3%WD2C6%XC5D1%Y`4W7
%Zc2W9%[E5Z3%\D1C7%]C6D9%^E5Z7%eB5b3%b_6Z5%c_0Y5%d_2X0
)END

Fred &lt;~~~ lucky slopper

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2003, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> I was reading in another thread, and the "slop factor" of the APA rules was brought up in it.

<font color="blue">If the slop factor in APA was derided by the original poster, I assume he/she does not play 9-ball either. </font color>

1) How often does a ball get slopped in, during an APA league match? (I am more concerned with 8-ball--I could see it happening much more often in 9-ball.)

<font color="blue">I would estimate about 2 to 4 balls per night. Out of more than 20 games played. Just a guess. </font color>

2) Is the "slop factor" often a deciding factor in a game, or match?

<font color="blue">I've seen it but not more than a handful of times a year.

However /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, Monday night our captain's opponent was on the hill winning 3-2. He tried a long, cross-table bank on the 8, missed the pocket by about 6" and caromed off another ball to sink it and win the match. </font color>

=============== <hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
08-13-2003, 02:38 PM
I believe that would be an accurate figure here also Wally. Probably just 2 or 3 balls in 5 full matchs.
And usually not a deciding factor in the game.

ChrisW
08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
There is also the safety where you lock the cue ball up but your object ball drifts down the table and drops. With slop rules you have to shoot out of your own hook.

Also there are times when you may want to pocket your ball but call safe but slop rules won't let you. So your shooting again or try to hang the ball in the pocket.

Chris, sees about 5 or 6 slopped ball per league night.

heater451
08-13-2003, 04:22 PM
I was shown almost the same shot, called 4-rails, except the OB was right up near the cushion--might work w/ it frozen as well, depending on the CB angle of entry.

It's around a half-ball hit, with enough power to loop the table. I would give more details, but I haven't practiced it, and have shot it mostly 'by feel'.

===============================

heater451
08-13-2003, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I certainly take advantage of a "big pocket" if there are other balls hanging around. Would that be called "slop"? If it is, then I do it every set.<hr /></blockquote>That's one of the points, it's a legal shot in APA, BCA, and TAP, but some bar folks consider it slop, if it's uncalled ("bar rules", of course). Personally, I divide the game/slop types, with "full-slop" being the APA, "any-port-in-a-storm" type, and "part-slop" is actually "call-pocket". A true, "no-slop" game would be "call-shot" or "call everything" (IMO, excl. the 'short-rail', which I detailed more on in the "wacky rule" thread.) However, SOME people would consider the "big pocket" shot to be slop, just because you didn't call it.---The experience of the players would determine what rules/amount of slop is allowed. The rule set obviously takes precedence, but to come back to the thread and your question, shooting the "big pocket" shot would not be slop, if you are playing **league rules**.

I was specifically wondering whether you really see "full-slop", ball in a 'non-obvious' pocket, shot very often, and whether it amounted to much, game/match-wise---which you've answered.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred:</font><hr>. . .IMO, a lucky leave or safe which happens often with amateurs in almost every game is much more determining than a slopped in shot.<hr /></blockquote>I hear that, although I seem to be the recipient of the "lucky leave" a lot, whether playing an amateur or not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

===================================