PDA

View Full Version : wacky rules OR rules you hate

heater451
08-12-2003, 04:23 PM
On the heels of my "slop" question. . . .

What's the strangest (bar) rule that you've ever come across?

Or,

What rule, local bar or otherwise, do you dislike the most?

Personally, I will play by any rules, as long as they're decided up front, but the one that I really don't care for is, "the 8-ball has to go clean"--I've often positioned for carom shots on the 8, and then remembered that this rule was in play.

========================

Cueless Joey
08-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Yup. That's my least favorite one as well.
Then again, I hate barbox 8-ball.

UWPoolGod
08-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Personally I hate the "safe" rule in BIH 8-ball when you call safe...pocket your ball in the pocket intended...and intentionally snooker the other player to make them kick and get BIH. But hey...those are the rules and I have used it before also. Doesn't make me have to like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some people were playing the 1/15 8ball game...where which ever solid/stripe you choose the corresponding 1 or 15 must be made in either side pocket. Then the others guys corresponding 1 or 15 must be made in the opposite side as the first made. Then the 8 has to follow your last pocketed solid/stripe into the same pocket. And if it happens that your last was the 1/15 in the side the 8 must get into that pocket also. Stupid game giving bangers a better chance...might as well play bank 8 along with it and practice the one-pocket shots.

Guys in the local bar after I had been holding the table an hour told me that I had to shoot left handed/behind the back/with one foot on the floor....so I said fine and held it for another hour and then left. LOL. They were so hammered and couldn't make a ball gave me a bunch more shots.

Keith Talent
08-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Hit the 8 or lose. Guarantees a miserable experience. But then that's what you paid for, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
08-12-2003, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Hit the 8 or lose. Guarantees a miserable experience. But then that's what you paid for, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Try convincing these bar bangers that if you scratch whitey but did not make the 8-ball, you still haven't lost according to BCA rules. Try explaining the open table rule.
One punk I played scooped the ball with his ferrule. I asked why not just use the rubber bumper.
It's pointless. Arguing with bar bangers is like trying to convince crazy people they are crazy.

Keith Talent
08-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it's like waking up on Planet of the Apes.

And even if the rules are posted, you have moronic debates ... "table is open after the break" means I can shoot highs OR lows now ... but you made a STRIPE!!! And maybe you get a couple of low-grade league players in the mix, and everybody's tapping their last 2 or 3 balls around, waiting for the perfect runout, because otherwise you're sure to lose on the miss-the-eight rule. Aaargh!

Cueless Joey
08-12-2003, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Yeah, it's like waking up on Planet of the Apes.

And even if the rules are posted, you have moronic debates ... "table is open after the break" means I can shoot highs OR lows now ... but you made a STRIPE!!! And maybe you get a couple of low-grade league players in the mix, and everybody's tapping their last 2 or 3 balls around, waiting for the perfect runout, because otherwise you're sure to lose on the miss-the-eight rule. Aaargh! <hr /></blockquote>
My brother played on a local bar with one table tournament.
He played safe on his last ball. He wasn't "invited" to come back this week. Freakin' unreal. These are APA players mind you.
I knew he was in trouble when he told me one of the players played with a cue with chiseled dragon figure in the handle area.
Ahahaha!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
The bar league I used to play in (and was Prez for 2 years) had a 3-foul rule in 8-ball. Go figure.

But, it was okay since they didn't have a legal hit rule in the first place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've met some of my best friends in that league, still to this day...:)!!!

Barbara

HalSmith
08-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Heater , I'm with you on this one. Was in the finals one night and the 8 ball is froze to the other guys ball , both are sitting in the pocket no way to make the 8 without it moving the other ball , theysaid I lost cause the balls were froze. I told the people running the thing just what I thought of them and it wasn't nice.

Hopster
08-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Try convincing these bar bangers that if you scratch whitey but did not make the 8-ball, you still haven't lost according to BCA rules. Try explaining the open table rule.&lt;--Cueless Joey

I got into more beefs in bars cause of stupid rules like that than i care to remember. I havent played in a bar in about 10 years now. Who needs it? Drunks,idiots, wannabe tough guys. Too much irritation for me.

Fred Agnir
08-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Let's see, here's some various rulez from across our great nation that some have quite a following, while others are completely insane even for bar standards:

Last ball before the 8-ball has to go in clean.

In the Fitchburg, MA area, you can't make a combination/carom/canon with any of the other person's balls involved (and hope to continue). Even if you call the entire detailed path and hit your own ball first.

I've played in bars where you have to call the short rail, i.e., if the object ball grazes the cushion on the way to the pocket, it's no good if you didn't call that detail.

No shooting shots with your stick above your shoulder. People will swear this is an APA rule, but I've never seen it in print.

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-13-2003, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> Try convincing these bar bangers that if you scratch whitey but did not make the 8-ball, you still haven't lost according to BCA rules. Try explaining the open table rule.&lt;--Cueless Joey

I got into more beefs in bars cause of stupid rules like that than i care to remember. I havent played in a bar in about 10 years now. Who needs it? Drunks,idiots, wannabe tough guys. Too much irritation for me. <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand either of these posts. The largest amateur league in the world gives you a loss if you scratch while playing the 8-ball and does not have an "always open table rule" after the break, so it's not like these are unknown or made up rules.

And furthermore, the idea of *not* losing while scratching playing the 8-ball is a relatively new rule. Okay, as the years go by, it's not relatively new anymore, but consider that when many of us started playing 8-ball, it most certainly was a loss. I believe the rule was changed in the early 90's, which would be about 10 years ago. My '85 BCA rule book is always with me at work, and it was a loss in that book. I'll need to check my other editions at home.

What I'm saying is these two rules in question are real rules that either were in print, or are still in print for the APA, the largest amateur league in the world. The rules that really should bug players are the ones that are made up that never ever ever were in print for any recognized organization, just because someone on the spot wanted to weasle their way back to the table.

Fred

Eric.
08-13-2003, 02:42 PM
I used to play in a Sat. afternoon Bar Tourney that had a race to 1, Double Elim. 8 ball, no handicaps. First prize was $150 and NO entry fee(Free, in plain Inglese). This used to draw alot of people, some of who were weekly regulars.

One of the regulars, who happens to be an o.k. guy, but a huge whiner, took it upon himself to make up a rules board, since none were posted on the wall. Some of his 'better rules' went like this:

no hideing(sp) the cue ball.

8 ball must go clean.

Must call all rails(i.e. if you play CB rail first and don't call it that way-bad shot!)

Must always attempt to make your ball(you should see some of the "near misses" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

I don't remember the rest, don't want to.

Eric

heater451
08-13-2003, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>. . .you can't make a combination/carom/canon with any of the other person's balls. . . .<hr /></blockquote>Fred, what's a "canon shot"--is that where you combo an opponent's duck, and then follow with your object ball?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I've played in bars where you have to call the short rail, i.e., if the object ball grazes the cushion on the way to the pocket, it's no good if you didn't call that detail.<hr /></blockquote>When I explain "call-shot", which is supposed to be **everything**, I specifically state that calling the "short-rail" is unnecessary. Although, I have known of people to complain that the short-rail wasn't called on a shot, but never had a heated argument about it, nor have I known a decent (experienced) player to worry about it. I guess rules have to have 'homes' somewhere. . . .

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>No shooting shots with your stick above your shoulder. People will swear this is an APA rule, but I've never seen it in print.<hr /></blockquote>I've always thought this was a way for (uninformed) bar owners to keep players from hitting masse shots--and trying to protect the cloth. Oddly enough, this promotes illegal jumping (scoop shots). However, the real kicker is that the cloth on a table, in a bar with this kind of rule, is probably marked, cut, worn through, and/or beer-stained!

=====================

Fred Agnir
08-13-2003, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>. . .you can't make a combination/carom/canon with any of the other person's balls. . . .<hr /></blockquote>Fred, what's a "canon shot"--is that where you combo an opponent's duck, and then follow with your object ball?
<hr /></blockquote>Snooker term. I'm pretty sure a cannon is a carom, and a plant is a combination. I think "cannon" is borrowed from croquet. Not that I'd know.

Fred

Ralph S.
08-13-2003, 06:54 PM
I encountered some of that same "you gotta call everything" rule a few weeeks ago. Needless to say I was very annoyed, particularly when I could set up several examples and show the other person there rules made no sense at all.

One of the other strange rules I have encountered is this: if you sink the 8 ball, the opponent has a chance to tie if they can run the rest of their remaining object balls without a miss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Go figure LOL.

Keith Talent
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Love that last one! So you've got to play safe while sinking the 8? That's so perverse I'm tempted to introduce it at some local dive. Sounds so stoopid I know it would be an instant hit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopster
08-13-2003, 11:27 PM
And furthermore, the idea of *not* losing while scratching playing the 8-ball is a relatively new rule. Okay, as the years go by, it's not relatively new anymore, but consider that when many of us started playing 8-ball, it most certainly was a loss.&lt;--Fred

I should have been clearer. It was a loss when i played also, the thing that irritated me was just the constant B.S. about this rule and that rule in every different bar you went into. Whats slop ?? You call a ball and a pocket. period. You got to name the street and avenue its going to take to get there ?? Hey, not for nothing i started out playing straights, rule is ball, pocket, period. No caroms or short rails or none of that crap. That one never failed to crack me up, slop.
Just too much crap and too many idiots to put up with, thats why i gave up on bars.