PDA

View Full Version : How long did you wait for your custom?

UWPoolGod
08-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Just wondering what the average turn around time from conception to completion....man sounds like a pregnancy test. LOL
But seriously...has anyone waited years for their cue? I am at about 5 months right now but getting close to being in my hands. How long did you wait?

Fred Agnir
08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Just wondering what the average turn around time from conception to completion....man sounds like a pregnancy test. LOL
But seriously...has anyone waited years for their cue? I am at about 5 months right now but getting close to being in my hands. How long did you wait? <hr /></blockquote>

Three years and counting. But that's standard fare for SW.

Fred &lt;~~~ 6 months for a Meucci custom

Barbara
08-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Todd,

I waited all my life and it cost me every cent I had on me.

HTH,

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
I waited 3 months on my Pechauer and still patiently waiting for my Blackheart(5 months).

Griff

TommyT
08-13-2003, 07:34 PM
I waited 10 months for my new cue by Jeff Olney. It's worth every day and the wait for a new custom cue by him is now 3 years.
TommyT

Jimmy B
08-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Depends on the cuemaker Southwest is up to orders taken in Feb. of 96 right now, most people say 5 year wait but it's a bit over that now. The trouble is Laurie doesn't take a deposit so the list is filled with people who just jump on to resale the cues the day they get them. Other cuemakers can take anywhere from 3 months up to 3 years, some guys don't even take orders anymore. I waited 5 years for a Schick. I've been waiting abut 4 years for a Searing, but he's a clown and although he makes a real nice cue I'll never see mine, some cuemakers are good artist and very poor businessmen. If they tell you 3 months it means about 6-8, just enjoy the wait. JB

Deniel
08-14-2003, 01:14 AM
Well.. there's this local cuemaker, one of very very few, here in Indonesia, and I waited 2.5 weeks for the butt (I already have the shaft). That was the longest 2.5 weeks in my life, honestly I don't know how you guys can wait years for a cue.

Deniel &lt;- hates the wait

Jimmy B
08-14-2003, 02:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> Well.. there's this local cuemaker, one of very very few, here in Indonesia, and I waited 2.5 weeks for the butt (I already have the shaft). That was the longest 2.5 weeks in my life, honestly I don't know how you guys can wait years for a cue.

Deniel &lt;- hates the wait <hr /></blockquote>

Well I'm guessing he didn't make it from scratch in 17 days and if he did you should have a boom-a-rang in another 2.5 weeks. Not to mention it was prolly made overseas.
JB

The last line was just a joke if you missed it.

AndyG
08-14-2003, 05:32 AM
I waited 2 years, 3 months, and 5 days back in 1986 for my Szamboti. I was out of state on a business trip when it finally came. Couldn't wait to get home. Was it worth the wait? Hell, yes, I wish I could do all over again, several times. Since then, I've waited 1 year for a Schick, and about 9 months for my latest one, a Bob Runde.
AndyG

Pizza Bob
08-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Here's a joke that Thomas Wayne told me. He swears that the original joke was about CUEMAKERS, but they changed it to SHOEMAKERS to give it broader appeal.

A man is cleaning out his closet and placing unwanted items of clothing in a box for the Salvation Army. In going through the pockets of a suit he hasn't worn in ten years, he finds a claim stub for a long forgotten pair of shoes he had dropped off at the shoemakers for repair. He decides to have a little fun and checks in the yellow pages to see if the shop still exists. In finding that it does he sets off to the shoemakers. He walks into the shop, and with a perfectly straight face, and saying nothing, he hands the man behind the counter the claim stub. The man glances at the claim stub and disappears into the back of the shop. Five minutes goes by and the man is feeling somewhat guilty and decides to tell the guy it was just a joke. Just as he's about to call out, the man reappears from the back of the shop, hands the man the claim stub and says, "They'll be ready Monday."

My waits have run from a max of about a year and a half (he's a friend, so my job gets a lower priority - and price - than retail customers), to four weeks, from a cuemaker discovered through this board - Ron Kilby in Oregon (www.caromcues.com).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

RedHell
08-14-2003, 08:37 AM
I can't wait to see that shaft you told me about, that was done by your friend wasn't it ?

Talk about service !

Pizza Bob
08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
RedHell:

It was done by Ron Kilby. For other board member's edifications, we're talking about a pure graphite snooker shaft that Ron made for the three-piece travel cue he did for me. Awesome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SpiderMan
08-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Jimmy,

Was there a particular reason the Schick took so long? I've known a few local guys who bought them, and it was
less than a year. We're in driving distance (180 miles),
but I doubt that the 2 or 3 times we dropped in to look
at progress really affected the delivery.

SpiderMan

Jimmy B
08-14-2003, 11:59 AM
This was a very fancy cue with a bunch of work in it and I never really bothered him about it. Bill is a personal friend of mine and I am sure if I wanted I could get a cue much quicker, but at the time he went through some rough times with his health and this cue was my own design so it took a while longer then normal. Throw in the hours he spent on the golf course and there ya go. IMO Bill is in the top 5 in the world and any wait is well worth it, as long as I knew I was getting it I would wait twice that.

JB

Fred Agnir
08-14-2003, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> Throw in the hours he spent on the golf course and there ya go. <hr /></blockquote>Plus he had to get with Matt Groenig for the copyright infringement.

Fred

Barbara
08-14-2003, 03:38 PM
When Jimbo said he was coming here to stir things up I didn't think you'd help him, Mr. Agnir!

Now just stop it!

Barbara~~~Doh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
08-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Low blow Agnir, Jealousy isn't one of your better atributes (they don't let me use big words like that in my other play ground)sometimes things don't turn out as evil as you'd hope for :-) JB
Low blow Agnir, Jealousy isn't one of your better attributes (they don't let me use big words like that in my other play ground)sometimes things don't turn out as evil as you'd hope for :-) JB

Jimmy B
08-15-2003, 03:45 AM
I said that???? Gee Barb, whatever do you mean? I am a nice guy stirring things up isn't something I'm known for. Can't we all just get along. JB

PS who is this JimBo you speak of?

Jimmy B
08-15-2003, 03:48 AM
Sorry Fred we can't all be sitting at our desk with 5 cues. Some of us can't afford to have 5 cues especially nice ones like you have and rubbing it in like you do isn't nice. I wish I could rob a cue like that Buss. Can you please remind the court how it is that you got such a nice cue like that for under $50? Or do we not talk about that stuff around here; I mean I'm new to these parts ;-) JB

Fred Agnir
08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I wish I could rob a cue like that Buss. Can you please remind the court how it is that you got such a nice cue like that for under $50? Or do we not talk about that stuff around here; I mean I'm new to these parts ;-) JB <hr /></blockquote>

For those who don't know the story (that's everyone except for one regular, one newbie, and a hundred lurkers) a real sharp guy from Connecticut came up with a brilliant idea for an above-board internet raffle. 100 numbers (00-99) were raffled off for $5 a piece. The winner was determined by using the last two digits in the Connecticut Pick 3 on such-and-such a date. The prize was the winner's choice of cuemakers to build a cue. Although $5 x 100 numbers = $500, each cuemaker that agreed to be a willing participant if chosen offered to make a cue valued at more than that, plus anything the winner wanted to kick in.

There was so much interest, that two raffles were done. I was fortunate to win one of them. I chose Jim Buss. I'd point to a picture, but it's not on the site and Earthlink (which I'm axing) is currently in limbo as far as site maintenance goes. Those who have seen it know this is no $500 cue.

Anyway, I think a raffle like that could work for this board as well. If only the sharp guy from Ct. who organized it last time would do it again.

Fred &lt;~~~ not a sharp guy from Ct.

SPetty
08-15-2003, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Anyway, I think a raffle like that could work for this board as well. If only the sharp guy from Ct. who organized it last time would do it again.<hr /></blockquote>That is a neat idea. We do already have a CCB treasurer who could easily collect the funds via PayPal and send the check to the cuemaker...

SPetty~~~CCB PayPal treasurer

RedHell
08-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Maybe we could ask Thierry Layani... For 500$US he can put togheter a very nice cue and his work is stunning !

Kato
08-16-2003, 07:47 AM
5 months for my Omen, delivered 1 week ahead of schedule. How often does that happen?

Kato~~~very much likes his cue.