PDA

View Full Version : BD home page: Berhman To Run U.S. Open From Jail

nAz
08-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Berhman To Run U.S. Open From Jail?

Unless he receives a sympathetic ruling from Circuit Court Judge Bruce H. Kushner, Barry Behrman could well be running the 28th Annual U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship from a jail cell.

Behrman, 57, owner of Q-Master Billiards and promoter of the long-running pro pool event, has been jailed in Chesapeake, Va., since July 18 for a violation of his probation. It is the second probation violation against Behrman since his 2002 felony convictions for holding illegal gaming parties at his Chesapeake home.

Despite his legal woes, Behrman has vowed that the U.S. Open, scheduled to run Sept. 15 - 21 at the Chesapeake Convention Center, will go on as planned. According to an article by The Virginian-Pilot reporter Cindy Clayton, Behrman has been calling his employees at the Virginia Beach poolroom with instructions on running the tournament in his stead.

ďI donít want to take away the pleasures of the people who come [to the U.S. Open] every year, just because of my mistake,Ē Behrman is quoted as saying.
Behrman will find out on Sept. 8 whether he will be released in time to run the tournament, or if heíll spend more time behind bars. According to the Virginian-Pilot story, Behrman could be sentenced to at least six years in prison. Behrmanís first probation violation came in April, when he failed several drug tests and was convicted in Virginia Beach for not paying back taxes on his business.

How Behrmanís incarcaration will affect this yearís Open remains to be seen. The embattled promoter ran a successful U.S. Open in 2002, after suffering financial setbacks on both his 2001 Masters and 2001 U.S. Open, the latter of which coincided with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Ouch well i hope it works out for him.

L.S. Dennis
08-13-2003, 07:48 PM
I got a novel idea, why not move the US Open to Las Vegas?
That way even more people could get over to see it (assuming that it takes place at all this is).

Just a thought

cueball1950
08-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi naz... i have known about this for a couple of weeks now. I have discussed it with a couple of people on here last week in private to get their opinions. I was asked to keep it quiet and not to post it on the board or say anything in public. but now the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Hopefully the judge will let him out long enough to run the tournament since it brings so much tourist money to the region. all we can do is hope for the best...................................mike

rackmup
08-14-2003, 04:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Hopefully the judge will let him out long enough to run the tournament since it brings so much tourist money to the region. all we can do is hope for the best <hr /></blockquote>

While the tourney may bring in boatloads of cash for the area's economy, while many here make the pilgrimage to the OPEN for fun and frolic and the rest of us anxiously await the start of it so we can watch the results online, for the judge to release him to run the tournament sends the wrong message.

I respect Brady's feelings so I won't go into the morality of the original violations that landed his father in the pokey and in the same breath, I'm certain Brady can run the thing himself.

What we have to hope for from the court system is see that Mr. Berhman needs professional help and get him into a court-ordered rehab program before he ruins the future of the tournament, his family life and most important...himself.

The damage has been done. Time to work on the repair.

Regards,

Ken

Qtec
08-14-2003, 04:42 AM
If the present minimum sentencing rules are applied , compassion is the last thing he is going to get.

I agree with you Ken , he needs help , not jail time.

Q

rackmup
08-14-2003, 04:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Q:</font><hr> compassion is the last thing he is going to get <hr /></blockquote>

His family deserves compassion, Mr. Berhman deserves the punishment at hand but that should include rehab.

What was it Baretta once said?:

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. No. Don't do it."

Regards,

Ken (had a 70's TV show flashback)

bluewolf
08-14-2003, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
His family deserves compassion, Mr. Berhman deserves the punishment at hand but that should include rehab.

<hr /></blockquote>

agree. jail plus rehab.

bw

eg8r
08-14-2003, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the present minimum sentencing rules are applied , compassion is the last thing he is going to get.
<hr /></blockquote> Which minimum sentencing rules are you referring? I do not believe he is going to jail for any first offenses. I feel sorry for Barry and I hope he gets the help he needs.

For my little soapbox, where is it written that the courts/judges need to have compassion on someone who continues to break the law??????

I agree with Ken, sure the tourney is great economically for the area, however no one should get preferential treatment. If tossed in jail, I am sure next year Barry will behave and it will be better for everyone.

eg8r

Rich R.
08-14-2003, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I respect Brady's feelings so I won't go into the morality of the original violations that landed his father in the pokey and in the same breath, I'm certain Brady can run the thing himself. <hr /></blockquote>
Ken, althouth I agree that Brady could definitely run the Open by himself, I'm not sure if that will happen.
It was reported quite some time ago, that Brady and Barry had a falling out and parted company. To the best of my knowledge, Brady no longer works for his father.
Unless things have mended, you will not be seeing Brady run the U.S. Open. However, he is involved in running other tournaments.