PDA

View Full Version : cue tip care

drawl66
08-13-2003, 07:28 PM
what do i have to do to a new tip to make it tip top before using it.

Scott Lee
08-13-2003, 09:06 PM
If it is a good tip, then you should likely have to do NOTHING. The very least you should need to do is take some sandpaper and rough up the dome of the tip. Some people feel you need to do this all the time. I don't. A tip will hold chalk quite well, without any preparation at all, imo.

Scott Lee

pooltchr
08-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Like Scott says..."If it's a good tip". Often a new tip needs to be shaped properly. Lots of them are too flat on the end and need to be rounded. Personally, I use a very small amount of "sanding sealer" along the sidewall of a new tip. I let it soak in, then burnish it with a piece of leather. It puts a nice shine on the sides, and helps prevent mushrooming which I have found to be a frequent problem particularly with the Le Pro tips. I do agree with Scott that once it is set and shaped to your liking, the only thing it needs is chalk......EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT!

Fred Agnir
08-14-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawl66:</font><hr> what do i have to do to a new tip to make it tip top before using it. <hr /></blockquote>

A tip top, or a top tip?

You can't do anything to make a bad tip into a good tip.

That being said, after biting my tip and installing it, I scarf off enough off the top so that the tip isn't too tall. I won't quantify that other than to say that if you start off with a 14mm diameter tip and put it on a 13mm diameter ferrule, it most likely would have a height to diameter ratio that might be too big.

Then, I bounce the tip on a hard surface about 200 times (a la Tony Matthews). That does two things, it compresses the tip as if I'd wacked balls for a few days, and it shows me just what kind of crappy tip I have that a bite test couldn't tell me.

Then I shape it to whatever curvature (I don't measure or any such nonsense), burnish the sides, and then that's pretty much it. No scuffing, no tapping.

There are pre-treatments that many cue mechanics will do. Compress them in a vice, soak them in milk, or a combination of both.

Fred